Author Topic: Do you run with your Schnauzer?  (Read 6254 times)

Offline Michelle

• Member since 2010
  • Corvallis, OR
Do you run with your Schnauzer?
« on: August 18, 2010, 10:22:22 AM »
I used to run quite a bit back in high school, but my asthma got pretty bad in college and running isn't so much fun when you can't breathe!
Needless to say, I'm working back into running and Rupert has been coming with me! We're currently walking/running about a mile and it got me thinking... Does anyone else run with their schnauzer? I'm mostly curious how far they can go? He seems to be keeping up great now, and I'm sure the older he gets the further he'll be able to go...

P.S. The best part is, when we get home he is knocked out for at least an hour. Yay for time to be productive!
Rupert, male S&P Miniature Schnauzer, born April 4, 2010
Scrapbook:  Meet Rupert!

Willow

Re: Do you run with your Schnauzer?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 10:38:56 AM »
Nope, I don't run with, or for, anything.
Knee is a mess from a bad fall years ago.

willow and trav

Online Peter

• Administrator
  • Pet Partners Instructor, Vancouver, WA
    • Dog Tricks Video
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 12:00:45 PM »
Ruined my knees running in the 70s, but I've noticed that when you walk really quickly with dogs they seem to instinctively heel really well! I'm guessing that it brings out the "run with the pack" instinct in them.

Peter
Mukaluka Dirtypaws, male black Miniature Schnauzer, 11/09/07, 15-1/8", 17.5 lb (goal) [medical]
Pukalu, male S&P Miniature Schnauzer, 03/27/10, 15", 15.5 lb (goal) [medical]
Also: About Peter ~ Our Therapy Dog Work ~ Our Tricks Video ~ Muka's Scrapbook

Offline Angela

• Member since 2010
  • Clermont, FL
    • Schnauzer & Spice
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 03:26:33 PM »
I've never really been able to run very well, but I do walk at a pretty quick pace. I think that's fine for Lotte... though if she had it her way, we would be running.
Lotte, 2 year old s&p mini DOB: 2/4/2010
My blog: Schnauzer & Spice

"A puppy is but a dog, plus high spirits, and minus common sense."
Any reading recommendations? Send them my way! Always on the lookout for more training books to read!

Offline Janice

• Member since 2010
  • Toronto, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 03:36:52 PM »
I don't run anywhere for anything...
We take a fairly long walk in the morning - about 1 hr - but at a pretty slow pace.

Winston, Miniature Schnauzer, Black - 2years

Offline Sue

• Member since 2008
  • Bonney Lake, WA
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 06:59:10 PM »
Nope, never been a runner, but can walk at a pretty good clip.  Nitro keeps up just fine, in fact he's right with me.  I would hesitate to run with a puppy, maybe wait until adulthood to make sure their bones are strong enough.
Nitro, male black Miniature Schnauzer, born April 4, 2007
Scrapbook:  Introducing Nitro
In memory:  Lucy & Mikey

Offline KristenH

• Member since 2010
  • Lubbock, TX
    • ELE Tutoring
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 06:10:30 PM »
Does running after him count?  :wink:

No, I don't like running for exercise unless a sport is involved, so that kind of eliminates Matthias as an exercise buddy for me.

We do run around the backyard a bit; we have a soccer ball that he likes to chase, so I kick it and race him to it.

I don't typically walk him yet because he is still easily distracted when on a leash and pulls HARD.  The head collar alleviated most of the pulling, but he forgets when he's distracted and then gets upset and throws a puppy tantrum.  I know this is my fault for allowing him to behave in a manner contrary to what I want, so I have to work with him on this so that he'll have good manners while walking on a leash.
Matthias Varrick, P&S Standard, 02/16/10

Online Peter

• Administrator
    • Dog Tricks Video
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 08:55:25 PM »
Does running after him count?  :wink:

Oh well, if that counts, I chase Muka every day! I have to put Pukalu in his pen because he tries to get the "prize" from Muka's mouth and that interrupts the chase.

The Chase by MySchnauzer.net Small | Large

Peter
Mukaluka Dirtypaws, male black Miniature Schnauzer, 11/09/07, 15-1/8", 17.5 lb (goal) [medical]

Offline Corey

• Member since 2010
  • Nova Scotia, Canada
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 07:40:41 AM »
Tilley ran a bit along the sandbars at the beach yesterday...its funny she was timid of the water until we ran across the waters edge about 6" deep and then she seemed to forgot she didn't care for
it .didnt pull on the leash once ..just kept running and the old tongue hanging out (my tongue that is lol)
pretty sure she could run all day long  she just loves it outdoors thats for sure

Tilley, black Giant Schnauzer, 3 years old

Offline Michelle

• Member since 2010
  • Corvallis, OR
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 09:28:29 AM »
Peter, that video of Muka and your granddaughter is adorable! How fun!

Corey, I sometimes wish I had a bigger dog to go running with, especially as a safety measure, BUT! I change my mind quickly when we snuggle on the couch! There needs to be space on the couch for the hubby too!

Offline Corey

• Member since 2010
  • Nova Scotia, Canada
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 09:44:34 AM »
i got a big couch Michelle !
Tilley, black Giant Schnauzer, 3 years old

Offline Michelle

• Member since 2010
  • Corvallis, OR
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 09:59:03 AM »
Haha tricky!

When we have a house instead of an apartment, a giant schnauzer is definitely a breed we will seriously consider! In the meantime, we're enjoying our miniature counterpart!

Online Peter

• Administrator
    • Dog Tricks Video
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2010, 10:04:46 AM »
BennyBear,

The way I handle that is that they both get one-on-one time with me, while the other is in the pen looking on. And during that time, I'll occasionally give a treat to the one in the pen so it doesn't feel ignored.

Thanks for the caution... I'll be careful.

Peter

Offline Kristen

• Member since 2010
  • Salt Lake City, UT
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2010, 07:06:50 AM »
Hi!  I live in Utah with my giant and my mini schnauzer, and they both run with me in the summer, and cross-country ski with me in the winter.  Their max seems to be 3-5 miles depending on temperature, time of day, etc.  I thought I would have to worry more about the mini's endurance, but she usually beats us all and is ready for more.  The best part is, they take a HUGE nap afterward, like for at least a day  :grin:
Moose, black male Giant Schnauzer, 6 years old

Online Peter

• Administrator
    • Dog Tricks Video
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2010, 10:12:26 AM »
Peter be careful when you put Pukalu in his crate when you play with the other one, because believe it or not you can cause resentment in the other dog. It might start picking on Muka.

BennyBear,

I thought more about this. How would I know? They (play) fight all day long! LOL

I can't wait for Pukalu to lose his puppy teeth. Both Muka and I have scabs all over us, which my vet says is natural. Well, at least for Muka to have them!

Pukalu is very used to watching me train Muka from inside the pen. I toss him an occasional treat and he seems fine with it.

I have never trained Muka to sit and stay for long periods, so now I'm doing that while I train Pukalu. It's a real challenge when I give Pukalu a command for Muka to ignore it!

Peter