Poll

Including groomings, how often do you bathe your Schnauzer?

Every Week
16 (32%)
Every Two Weeks
7 (14%)
Every Three Weeks
5 (10%)
Every Four Weeks
12 (24%)
Every Five Weeks
1 (2%)
Every Six Weeks
5 (10%)
Every Seven Weeks
0 (0%)
Every Eight Weeks
1 (2%)
As needed!
3 (6%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Author Topic: How often do you bathe your Schnauzer? (see poll above)  (Read 19295 times)

Offline Clement

• Member since 2008
  • Butterworth, Penang Island, Malaysia
    • http://petmyforum.com/
How often do you bathe your Schnauzer? (see poll above)
« on: March 18, 2009, 09:38:21 AM »
Hi,
Original miniature schnauzer with no trace of a doggy odor, the smell is from some where on Muzzle, and Wrist, also ears. I bath them once of week.

here my dogs after bath.

Woof! One Miniature Schnauzer is no enough, Two Miniature Schnauzer is getting excited, Three Miniature Schnauzer going savage!

Scrapbook:  Introducing Rocky, Ricky and Rusty

Offline Peter

• Administrator
  • Pet Partners Instructor, Vancouver, WA
    • Dog Tricks Video
Re: How often do you bathe your Schnauzer? (see poll above)
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 09:35:52 PM »
Muka gets groomed every six weeks, and I give him a bath usually about once in between. So he gets a bath every three weeks.

However, he's a house dog! He doesn't have a yard to play in, and our two-mile daily walks are on pavement. He only walks onto the grass occasionally to do his stuff.

And when he gets home, he gets his bottom wiped with a baby wipe, and his feet wiped with damp WHITE wash cloths until the wash cloths stay clean.

If his beard gets smelly, it's from it getting wet and souring. To get rid of the smell, I just wash it in a teaspoon of baking soda dissolved in warm water. Works every time!

Peter
Mukaluka Dirtypaws, male black Miniature Schnauzer, 11/09/07, 15-1/8", 17.5 lb (goal) [medical]
Pukalu, male S&P Miniature Schnauzer, 03/27/10, 15", 15.5 lb (goal) [medical]
Also: About Peter ~ Our Therapy Dog Work ~ Our Tricks Video ~ Muka's Scrapbook

Offline Rodrigo

• Member since 2009
  • Quilicura, Santiago, Chile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 04:15:58 PM »
Hey!!
Mateo and Agata take a bath, regularly, twice a month; but depending on the smell they may take a bath once a week.

Here in Chile is AUTUMN, and it's getting really cold everyday, so from now on they will take a bath just once a month until spring comes.
Woof!!!
...Mateo & Agata...

Melody

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 12:04:20 PM »
I usually only give Charlie a bath once a month, but he plays with bigger dogs that slobber all over him and make him dirty and smelly! So sometimes it's every week, but I don't like to do it too often. I am afraid of making his skin irritated.

Offline Amy

• Member since 2008
  • Wylie, Texas
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 12:40:44 PM »
I work for a groomer and I usually groom my dogs at home.....I groom my dogs and bathe them at least once a month for groom and twice a month for a bath......if you use a product like espree they sell at pet-smart it is good to use twice a month any other products like regular soap will dry out there skin if you bathe them too much............

Amy
(grettapepper)

Offline Faye

• Member since 2008
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 12:47:55 PM »
My dogs go to the groomer every 5 - 6 weeks.

If they get really dirty in between, I give them a bath.
If they stay clean, I don't.

Offline Clement

• Member since 2008
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 12:02:07 PM »
I like smell of miniature schnauzer. even they no yet take bath. hahahahah crazy to the miniature schnauzer! I think you all too! right!
Woof! One Miniature Schnauzer is no enough, Two Miniature Schnauzer is getting excited, Three Miniature Schnauzer going savage!

BennyBear

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 01:56:57 PM »
Benny gets groomed and bathed every 8 weeks at the groomers.  However, when it's nice out we like to go  on hiking adventures and he tends to get dirty and muddy.  So, then i'll bathe him more frequently. but really, he's a very clean dog and i don't have trouble with smell. So he only gets a bath if he really needs it. Plus, being a schnauzer- he has dry skin. So i don't like to bathe it to frequently and cause any kind of irritation. 

Offline Peter

• Administrator
    • Dog Tricks Video
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2009, 04:19:45 PM »
Of all things, dry skin issues may be a limiting factor when Muka and I begin our dog therapy visits to hospitals (if all goes as planned). You are required to bathe your dog before every visit!

Fortunately he has not had a problem with dry skin, but then he's only been bathed every three weeks at the most. I'd love to go once a week, but might have to make it every other week if this is a problem.

BTW, his shampoo is very thick and it could all gob in one spot. So right from the start I got the idea to mix it with water in a second bottle to thin it out.

I might have to bathe him before every visit, but they certainly don't specify how strong the shampoo has to be!

Peter
Mukaluka Dirtypaws, male black Miniature Schnauzer, 11/09/07, 15-1/8", 17.5 lb (goal) [medical]

Offline Clement

• Member since 2008
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2009, 07:40:29 PM »
peter,
isnt bring the dog visit hospitals, are we select the section like kids or senior? what our do can do over there? how they looking for you? Look interesting can help people with our dog.

BennyBear

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 06:18:59 AM »
We use a shampoo called HYLYTE.  It's vet recommended. You can get it at a vets office, or online at ENTIRELYPETS.com

I've found it slightly cheaper there.  We are also on 3v capsules for our skin. And we haven't had a problem with itchy or dry since we started.

As for the shampoo, ours is nice and thin. And i'm glad we don't have to add water--- it sounds like a real pain!

Offline Peter

• Administrator
    • Dog Tricks Video
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2009, 08:13:44 AM »
What is 3v?

Peter

Offline Peter

• Administrator
    • Dog Tricks Video
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2009, 08:35:37 AM »
peter,
isnt bring the dog visit hospitals, are we select the section like kids or senior? what our do can do over there? how they looking for you? Look interesting can help people with our dog.

Please see Have you used your Schnauzer as a therapy dog?

Peter

BennyBear

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2009, 04:06:27 PM »
its just the brand name-  3V Caps

It's skin capsules. As far as i know you don't need a prescription for them. Benny takes one every morning, and his coat is nice and shiny!

Offline Peter

• Administrator
    • Dog Tricks Video
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2009, 12:01:36 PM »
During the year my roommate Lane and Scout lived here, and the 18 months Muka has lived here since then, nothing like this has ever happened before.

Our dogs have always been groomed every six weeks, and most of the time they have not been bathed between groomings. They just didn't seem to need it. (I don't have a yard or doggie door. Every time they go out, I'm walking them on the pavement or nice green lawns. And every time before they come inside they get their feet cleaned.)

Just a few times I've come into the house and smelled a strong doggie odor, but it seemed a temporary thing.

Muka spends most of his time in one of his three beds, or on one of his doggie mats. The minority of time he'll be on the carpet somewhere. I wash his mats once a week, along with the blankets that line his doggie beds. Occasionally I wash the pillows in his beds, or give them a light spray with Simple Solution Stain and Odor Remover.

Last night I noticed a VERY strong smell and started sniffing around. The mats in his pen and elsewhere, as well as his beds, and even where he lies on my bed all stunk! Just thinking about it, and smelling it, I had trouble falling asleep. I wondered if he might have peed on the mat in his pen, then slept on it. But just to be sure I keep a white towel under it, and it was white as could be.

I was really puzzled at first, but then realized in hindsight that it might have snuck up on me. I did notice a little odor a few days ago, and thought it might be time for a bath. Then we went to visit forum member Debbie for a playday, and all four of our dogs were running around in 90 degree weather.

One other thing is that when I take a shower Muka loves to lie in front of the floor heater. Since it's summer, I've wondered if he might get too hot. But figured if that happened, he'd just move away as he has done before.

Last night I took a very long shower, and was really surprised he hadn't moved away from the heater. Perhaps with our heat wave, playing with Debbie's dogs, and sitting in front of my heater for so long he was just sweating a lot?

After our morning walk I bathed Muka and washed just about everything that wasn't tied down in the house, so all's fine now. I was also surprised to find that the carpet under his mat in the bathroom smelled strongly. I sprayed that, too, and I'm going to put a rubber-backed door mat under it in the future.

So I'm curious how the heat affects a dog's smell and need for a bath.

Peter