Member Countries:                                                        

Author Topic: Schnauzers and Sensitive Stomachs and Treating Diarrhea  (Read 30022 times)

BennyBear

Schnauzers and Sensitive Stomachs and Treating Diarrhea
« on: June 14, 2009, 07:11:40 AM »
When we first got ben, the breeder was giving him Eukanuba puppy food.  She also was giving him meat sauce on it at night! She had started hand feeding him if he didn't want to eat, and was creating a monster!

He also had frequent diarrhea.  Benny had been returned due to his diarrhea.  The owners had always done everything the breeder said.  And the vet they were going to wanted to take part of his colon and biopsy it!

First thing i did- took him off that wretched meat sauce!  Then, we switched to Science Diet Lamb And Rice. Schnauzers are known well for having sensitive stomachs.  Soon, the diarrhea left.

Then, we found out Milk bones do it- -- they have 30 calories a cookie! Anything high in fat is OUT of the question.  We recently tried the Reduced Fat Puperoni sticks- Same thing. Diarrhea.

Mainly i wanted to make this topic due to something i saw in another topic somewhere. About giving a dog hot dogs to coax them to eat?  

Do you know, that schnauzers have a high risk for pancreatitis? A schnauzer (as well as other dogs, but especially schnauzers) should never ever have table food. It's too rich for their system.  Please! don't give your dog table food!

A lady of mine just recently went through this with one of her dogs. It's terrible. They get bad diarrhea, start vomiting, and then you have a chance of severely damaging their organs! They could never be the same again! Are you ok with that?

Please think twice before you give them the table food!

Online Peter Christensen

• Administrator
  • Pet Partners Instructor, Vancouver, WA
    • Dog Tricks Video
Re: Schnauzers and Sensitive Stomachs and Treating Diarrhea
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 10:02:34 AM »
What Muka Eats:  I started on Eukanuba because that's what the breeder I bought Muka from was using, and there were no problems. But now I use Fromm Reduced Activity Senior Gold. Muka's only 18 months, but this mix has less fat. I switched because I liked what my breeder friend who uses it does with her champion dogs so much. I didn't know that Schnauzers don't do well with fat.

However, the first day I went to puppy school I didn't know I was supposed to take treats for training. So I had to borrow some. I was horrified at the junk people feed their dogs!

The typical treat people brought was slices of salami and cheese. No wonder so many Americans AND THEIR DOGS are overweight.

I decided right then to use Muka's kibble for treats, and it's worked just fine. He also gets veggies every day which he reacts to like a kid to candy... green peas, carrots, green beans, Romaine, and sometimes apple. (I understand that they should not have too much sweet fruit?)

Muka has NEVER eaten food from other people or the dinner table. If I'm making veggies in the kitchen I'll give him treats, but if I'm watching TV with a bowl of veggies beside me he won't get any as that would teach him that it's okay to beg for food.

Changing Foods:  One thing I learned right from the start was that you need to change foods very slowly with Schnauzers. Changing their basic food should be done gradually over a week or more, and that worked fine for me.

I was also very cautious when I started giving him veggies. Just a tiny bit to start and then I slowly increased the amount.

Once I didn't eat any meat for six months, then had a steak and vomited almost immediately. I didn't understand what the problem was till two days later when I had a hamburger and the same thing happened. Our bodies adjust to what we eat, and a sudden change can be upsetting.

Digesting Big Chunks:  When Muka was a puppy, I had a HORRIBLE time trying to keep him from eating EVERYTHING. If I'd stop and talk to someone, I'd have to constantly watch to see that he didn't find something on the ground where we stopped.

If he ate something he couldn't digest, he would vomit around 4:30 am the next morning. I'm just guessing that his body figured that if it couldn't digest it by that time, it wasn't good for him.

The worst thing I ever found were two large, black, asphalt covered pebbles. Yes, he'd even eat rocks!

And when I first gave him carrots, I found that he didn't chew them well if at all. He swallowed really big pieces. I know because I got to see them again at 4:30 am! LOL Now I use a potato peeler and give him slices of carrots... and I still sometimes see them in his poop.

Treating Diarrhea:  I suspect that a dog (or person) can get diarrhea for two different reasons. One is from eating something that disagrees with their stomach, and in this case the diarrhea only lasts a day or less. Till it's out.

But the other cause is from a "bug" and it lasts longer. It could come from anywhere, but someone suggested that one source can be bird droppings. And I have caught Muka with his nose in them a couple times so I'm careful about this. Careful as I can be.

Diarrhea can be DEADLY as it can cause severe dehydration. So it is important that a dog with diarrhea continues to drink and pee. If you are not sure that your dog is getting plenty of liquid, get him to the vet.

The worst case Muka ever had last three days, and he was eating and drinking and peeing so I didn't go to the vet... though I would have if it lasted another day.

I treated it with Kaopectate, but misunderstood and for the first two days only gave 1/3 the suggested dose. I did it right on the third day, and that stopped it... or his body had just fought off the bug.

YOU SHOULD DOUBLE-CHECK THIS WITH A VET,  but what was suggested to me for my 18 pound dog was 6 CCs three times a day. I got a free syringe from my pharmacy, and I fill it with 6 CCs then close Muka's mouth and stick it in on the outside of his teeth so he can't bite it but, obviously, on the inside of his lips. He seems to like it and licks it down.

Living with Diarrhea:  This is disgusting... but the worst incident was when I came home and found Muka and his pen and everything in it covered with diarrhetic poop. It was disgusting and I felt horrible!

The worst part of the problem was that when he was a puppy he would eat poop, and I think this was probably what caused his diarrhea in the first place. I think he was pooping, eating it, throwing up and pooping with diarrhea, then eating both the poop and vomit and keeping the cycle going. As I said, it was disgusting and I felt horrible!

Should anything like this happen again I will rush him outside until I am sure he's done for awhile. What I did was put him in a kennel so I could start cleaning up. He immediately made another mess in his kennel. So I put him in the kitchen, and he did it there. Can't tell you how awful this experience was! Next time I'll now better.

I don't know what one would do if they had to go to work and leave a diarrhetic dog at home. But since I can avoid that, I just take him outside FREQUENTLY.

Peter
Mukaluka Dirtypaws, male black Miniature Schnauzer, 11/09/07, 15-1/8", 17.0 lb (goal) [medical]
Pukalu, male S&P Miniature Schnauzer, 03/27/10, 15", 15.5 lb (goal) [medical]
Also: About Peter ~ Our Therapy Dog Work ~ Our Tricks Video ~ Muka's Scrapbook

KEITH

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 11:35:53 AM »
HELLO ALL, I THINK THIS PROBLEM ALSO APPLIES TO THE GIANTS AS WELL,  AS WE HAD A PROBLEM WITH JASPERS TUMMY BEING UPSET.  WHEN HE WAS A PUP WE SLOWLY CHANGED HIS DIET TO TIN FOOD FROM THE RAW FOOD GIVEN TO HIM BY THE BREEDER. BUT THAT WAS WHEN I FOUND OUT A LOT OF TYPES OF TIN FOOD ARE BAD FOR YOUR DOG, FAR TOO RICH AND LOADS OF E NUMBERS, AND WE HAD LONG PERIODS OF DIARRHOEA, THEN STOP AND FOR NO REASON START AGAIN, AND AS SOON AS WE CHANGED HIM TO THE DRY JAMES WELLBELOVED HE HAS NEVER HAD DIARRHOEA AGAIN.  KEITH.

Offline Angie S

• Member since 2009
  • Gretna, LA
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 07:43:53 PM »
I know this is an old post, but I have to say that this is easier said than done. My husband is very stubborn and wants to feed Nessie, while we are eating at that!!!!! He won't listen to me, he thinks I'm over reacting.
LaRoux, female S&P Miniature Schnauzer, born April 14, 2013
Nessie, female S&P Miniature Schnauzer, August 15, 2009 to April 16, 2013 R.I.P.

Online Peter Christensen

• Administrator
    • Dog Tricks Video
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 08:45:48 PM »
Angie,

You are concerned about what might be causing Nessie's skin problems, and possibly even changing dog foods because of it. But you can't keep control and try to eliminate the problem if Nessie is eating odds and ends from the table.

Put a bowl of kibble on the table for your hubby to give Nessie if he wants a dog that hangs around the dinner table and begs for food. I never give Muka any food when I'm eating just to be sure he doesn't think he's getting my food. But that's where his treats come from.

Every morning I measure out kibble for breakfast, lunch, dinner and treats. Plus he gets his veggies when I'm cooking.

Just what I do... you'll see what works best for you... and your hubby! Gotta keep 'em happy!

;)

Peter
Mukaluka Dirtypaws, male black Miniature Schnauzer, 11/09/07, 15-1/8", 17.0 lb (goal) [medical]

Offline Angie S

• Member since 2009
  • Gretna, LA
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 05:05:30 AM »
Last night was the first time he actually gave her anything (that I know of). We argue about it at every meal. He tries to give her something and I tell him no.
Nessie, female S&P Miniature Schnauzer, August 15, 2009 to April 16, 2013 R.I.P.

Offline Debbie

• Member since 2009
  • Buckley, WA
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 05:16:30 AM »
Last night was the first time he actually gave her anything (that I know of). We argue about it at every meal. He tries to give her something and I tell him no.
Ha, you really need to break your husband of this, maybe you could hit him with a rolled up newspaper every time he tries to feed the dog from the table. :D

Jetson never throws up, but he has problems with loose stools, I am slowly getting him on better dog food, and at night we give him 3/4 of a teaspoon of Kaopectate, he did have diarrhea pretty bad, due in part to antibiotics I am sure, he had giardia, but did not have diarrhea until he had antibiotics for 5 days. He is having his stool checked again today to see if he is over the giardia.

But he is extremely active and perky so we are not too worried.

Deb
The Dog is the God of Frolic
Jetson ~ Black and Silver Mini DOB: 8-28-2009
19.3 pounds

Offline Angie S

• Member since 2009
  • Gretna, LA
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 05:58:30 AM »
How much does Jetson eat in a day? The bag says that with Nessie's weight and age she should be eating 1 1/2 to 1 1/4. She's still eating a cup, if that sometimes.

Offline MicheleZ

• Member since 2009
  • Mondamin, IA
    • Grady and Izzy's Website
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 07:34:21 AM »
This is taken from the Leerburg site - it is a fantastic thread about treating diarrhea.  I always use the chicken and rice protocol when our dogs get soft or liquid stool and I use Probios every single day in Grady's food.  These links have been the absolute best when it comes to treating soft/liquid stool problems.

http://leerburg.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/256406/page/0/fpart/1

Below is another link explaining the usual causes for soft stool and liquid stool.

http://leerburg.com/diarrhea.htm

Offline Debbie

• Member since 2009
  • Buckley, WA
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 09:09:37 AM »
Thanks Michele, good information there, maybe Jetson is eating too big of meals, he is getting a good 1/3 cup three times a day and then maybe 1/4 of kibble for tricks and treats.

I am going to get him some Probiotics as soon as it comes in at the pet store. And I have not tried pumpkin yet.

Deb
19.3 pounds

Offline MicheleZ

• Member since 2009
  • Mondamin, IA
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2009, 09:21:23 AM »
Grady loves pumpkin so I usually put a small amount of that in his meals also - just for a good for him treat.

Offline Debbie

• Member since 2009
  • Buckley, WA
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2009, 09:45:25 AM »
Grady loves pumpkin so I usually put a small amount of that in his meals also - just for a good for him treat.
I have a large can of it on hand and I think today I will go back to rice and chicken and smaller amounts of food and see what we get. Also we will hear back from the vet in a day or too and see if they found anything wrong. His poops are good, they just seem to get a bit pudding like in the afternoons.

Deb
19.3 pounds

Offline MicheleZ

• Member since 2009
  • Mondamin, IA
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2009, 09:55:15 AM »
Let me know how it goes!  I think the trick is to start with small amounts of chicken rice until the stool is hard - then after a day or so of hard, you slowly go back to regular diet.  Grady had soft stool for a week or more recently so I went back to chicken/rice for 3-4 days, once his stool was hard, I slowly worked in Honest Kitchen and then every week add one more thing on his list of things that I feed him.  That way, if the stool gets soft after adding "X" for a week, you know that "X" is the problem.  I almost have him up to all the items I give him in a meal.  I was giving him this new treat that I realized had a high salt content (threw that in the trash) - I was also giving him a small amount of this kibble and I have completely removed kibble from his diet now.

Online Peter Christensen

• Administrator
    • Dog Tricks Video
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2009, 10:27:54 AM »
Angie,

Your breeder should have told you how much to feed Nessie every day, and when to increase it. Of course if you change dog foods that would make a difference as they have different numbers of calories. But you could compare the two bags' instructions.

Debbie,

I wouldn't know about a daily dose of Kaopectate. But the last two times Muka has had diarrhea, I have had great success with 6 ccs three times a day.

Peter

Offline Debbie

• Member since 2009
  • Buckley, WA
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2009, 10:46:36 AM »
I am going to go back to giving him rice and ground lamb, that I boiled to remove any excess fat, it is pretty lean meat too.

The Vet said 3/4 of a teaspoon for 5 pounds of body weight every 4 hours and a bland diet. He is only getting that once a day now, the Kaopectate, but I'd like to not have to give him any at all.

I don't think I kept him on the bland diet long enough to begin with.

Deb
19.3 pounds