Author Topic: How do you prefer your Schnauzer's hair?  (Read 5254 times)

Offline Tiffani

• Member since 2010
  • Animal lover, Oxford, WI
How do you prefer your Schnauzer's hair?
« on: June 14, 2011, 10:02:10 AM »
Maiya is at the semi fluffy stage and I think its cute at the length it is right now. However we have a surprise party for my great grandma this weekend and I am debating if I should clip her or leave her as she is for it. I am considering just trimming her a bit around the face, rump and ears to clean up the scraggly look. I just don't know what I want to do haha. I do love her with a fresh clip but like I said I am liking the fluff too.

So how do YOU prefer your Schnauzer? Fresh clipped or semi fluffy?
My girls:
Maiya 05/08/10 S&P Mini 12.3lbs
Macy Mae 02/28/12 White Mini 11lbs
Morgan 06/22/08 2.6 lbs Chihuahua

Coming soon: Brandi Rose 08/07/14 German Shorthaired pointer

Karma Jo 02/19/13 Kitty
Kooper 12/31/13 Seal mink Desert Lynx (kitty)
The birds: Tuki, Fawkes, Aries(AKA Rudy), Talon, Maui, Serafina, Seeley, Sawyer, Jaxon, and Rampage

Offline Peter

• Administrator
  • Pet Partners Instructor, Vancouver, WA
    • Dog Tricks Video
Re: How do you prefer your Schnauzer's hair?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 01:25:35 PM »
I strongly prefer the standard Schnauzer cut. It's what makes a Schnauzer a Schnauzer, which can be demonstrated by not cutting them at all, or cutting off their beards. They won't even be recognized as a Schnauzer.

That said, there's so reason anyone else should cut their Schnauzer to look like a Schnauzer. Whatever you prefer!

Peter
Mukaluka Dirtypaws, male black Miniature Schnauzer, 11/09/07, 15-1/8", 17.5 lb (goal) [medical]
Pukalu, male S&P Miniature Schnauzer, 03/27/10, 15", 15.5 lb (goal) [medical]
Also: About Peter ~ Our Therapy Dog Work ~ Our Tricks Video ~ Muka's Scrapbook

Offline KarenB

• Member since 2011
  • Greenwich, CT
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 02:04:17 PM »
I'm with Peter on this one.  I think the puppies are cuter left unclipped for awhile with their first official haircut/strip being sort of a "rite of passage" into a grown up.  I've been working Otto's coat for 4 weeks now and he's getting a little bit of a line to him.  I plan to always have him groomed in the traditional Schnauzer way, either stripped, rolled, or clipped (whichever I can manage to do) with a very short skirt and never cutting his beard.  I can understand clipping them short on the legs if they are spending a lot of time outdoors and it's just more practical but what I really hate seeing the minis with a skirt starting on their sides and/or a really long skirt, or without the blending of the clippered part into the legs.  One of the reasons I plan to learn to do my own grooming is because I very rarely see a properly groomed pet Schnauzer - Peter, I think you have really lucked out with your groomer!  I wish my breeder was closer. Her dogs (show dogs) are beautifully done and she said if I were closer, she'd be happy to work with my several times to teach me proper grooming.
Otto RN, TDI, black MS, 13.5" & 14 lb, born 3-19-11

Offline Tiffani

• Member since 2010
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 06:04:19 PM »
I ended up cutting her hair but leaving it longer than normal. Looks pretty nice!!
My girls:

Karma Jo 02/19/13 Kitty
The birds: Tuki, Fawkes, Aries(AKA Rudy), Talon, Maui, Serafina, Seeley, Sawyer, Jaxon, and Rampage

Offline Deja

• Member since 2011
  • Grooming Student, Cleveland, OH
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 06:09:31 PM »
For me, I like a shorter cut, nothing really fancy. I probably won't let Q get a skirt because I want his defined hips and body type to show. I'll keep the long hair on his legs. But I think I like a shorter beard better. The only reason I'd grow it out is if I could get it looking verrry smooth forming a perfect angle (like the silhouette  :schnauzer:)

I also realized I really don't like it when his eyebrows get so messy. I will probably have his eyebrows cut up and away from his eyes, kind of like how Maiya's are. I wish I could do it myself, but he'll let me do anything except cut around his face!
Que, male B&S Mini, born 2/1/2011 - adopted 3/18/2011
True, female Border Collie Mix, born 6/7/2012 - adopted 10/19/2012

In memory: R.I.P. Mandy and Shadow

Offline Kelly B

• Member since 2011
  • Surrey, British Columbia, Canada
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 07:09:38 PM »
Tiffany, I know what you mean. Do you let them stay in fluffy teddy bear stage a little longer or go for that sharp schnauzer cut a little sooner. Jedi is at fluffy teddy bear stage right now and I'm putting off his grooming because I want him nice and short for when the really hot days hit a few weeks from now. I love how sharp he looks right after a haircut. But he's such a cute little fluff ball when it's this long.

As for their furnishings, I like them a little longer. I like the poofy legs, a full skirt and LONG beard. Jed's breeder said, that at his next haircut (which will be more an adult cut - not sure what the difference is) I need to decide how long we want his furnishings. I don't know how long is too long and I know it could always grow back. I also don't like the skirt way up on their sides. Jed's are a little high right now, but I'm sure his next cut will bring them down. Many of you know the about the pictures online of parti schnauzers and it freaked me out. Some of them barely had a strip clipped down the middle and the rest was poofing out the sides like they were electricuted. They didn't even look like schnauzers anymore. I always want Jed to be recognized as a schnauzer especially since he's a parti. But he does have great furnishings and I want to keep them long without him looking weird.

**Tiffany** post pics of Maiya's new doo!!
Jedi: S&P Parti mini born: 1/23/11  1.5yrs, 16.5lbs
Mercy (Mercedes): B&S mini born: 05/26/12 8.4 lbs
Scrapbooks:  Jedi\'s Picture Album and Comparison Pics
My Facebook Food Blog

Offline Tiffani

• Member since 2010
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 07:57:43 PM »
I just realized I flubbed up under her eyes this time. Oh well she still looks sharp and people who are not Schnauzer owners would not have a clue that its wrong. Thankfully hair grows back, and hers grows real fast. I have a little more to fix up yet like her feet and legs but wanted to wait to do that until friday evening since we take off saturday. That way she will be clean and fluff when we get to the party. I will take some pics when I finish her up.

I tend to like her skirt a little longer and her legs too, but this time I really trimmed up the skirt.

Oh Kelly, I saw a cocker spaniel puppy who was cute how your describing the schnauzer pups with basically a strip down his back today. He was a cute little thing but his hair cut looked awful. haha
My girls:

Karma Jo 02/19/13 Kitty

Offline Traci

• Member since 2010
  • Puyallup, WA
    • Ludwigs Mini Schnauzers
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 12:58:42 AM »
I like a freshly groomed dog with the show dog pattern.

My pet peaves are butchered 1 inch eyebrows, unshaved bowties, high hula skirts, cutting the beard short, shaving past the 3 moles and shaving under the eyes. Gosh im picky

Im showing this pic of Cruz so you can see how long his beard is. It has never been cut but every once in awhile I just barely trim any split ends
Traci

Ludwigs Mini Schnauzers  www.LudwigMS.com

Offline KarenB

• Member since 2011
  • Greenwich, CT
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 06:39:36 AM »
Yeah - what Traci said!   :grin:  A couple questions though: what are the "bowties" and where are the 3 moles?  Your dog is gorgeous!
Otto RN, TDI, black MS, 13.5" & 14 lb, born 3-19-11

Offline Peter

• Administrator
    • Dog Tricks Video
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 09:46:46 AM »
Traci,

Pukalu has a number of dark black whiskers that feel like wire, and are really annoying when they prick me. Neither Scout nor Muka have these.

I finally cut them short today. But can they be pulled out? I envision it ripping out some skin they are so strong!?! Wouldn't want to do that.

Peter
Mukaluka Dirtypaws, male black Miniature Schnauzer, 11/09/07, 15-1/8", 17.5 lb (goal) [medical]

Offline Traci

• Member since 2010
  • Puyallup, WA
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 03:02:10 PM »
Karen B,
The bowtie is the white markings on the chest also called the butterfly. Some pet owners like it left long and fluffy (pic 1) which is fine but i like it shaved (pic 2) because its flashier and i want the dog to look very square. Leaving the bowtie fluffy can make them look longer in the body.

The 3 moles are on the each cheeks and under the chin. You will find a big black hard whisker in each mole and can feel the mole on the skin. Most say to only shave up to the mole but when i was in Vegas picking up Tango I went out to breakfast with Joan Huber and she said to stay about 1/4 inch away from the moles so that is what i have been doing now

In 3rd picture the beard was butchered (by a terrier handler) and shaved WAY past the 3 moles so i took a permanent marker and colored the 3 moles and took a picture so i could send it to the butcher asking them to NEVER do this again LOL!!!! I can laugh now but was actually in tears then.

I pic i received of one of my pups all grown up

Norman when he was still young and alot darker

Here is a good link describing how to do the head so it stays rectangle (like a brick) it also shows how shaving too much off the cheek can change the look to more of an hourglass
http://www.axcium.com/groom_the_miniature_schnauzer_head_correctly.htm

Peter,
Ive never had an issue with them poking but they are tough lil suckers it might really hurt to pluck them. I think you did the right thing by trimming them short. Id ask your groomer about plucking them.  

Everyone,
I just want to say groom your dog the way you personally like it done. We all have different taste. Some like it very low maintenance and practical and others like longer furnishings and are willing to brush and dematt to maintain that look.

If you are grooming yourself, hang in there and if you mess up it will grow back and you will do it a little better each time. The hardest part for most learning to groom their dog is grooming the head properly and scissoring the furnishings without making them look all chopped up and getting the right angles to them. I have no mentors near me and have always wanted to learn how to do show grooming since 1999 when i quit taking mine to the groomers. I have just had to teach myself from pictures and videos and im sure i do 80% all wrong but am still forever learning and trying to improve. I still dont strip but try to groom mine with the correct pattern and scissoring. It really is an art to groom this breed. Ha ha especially when they are wiggle worms on the table!!

Offline Kelly B

• Member since 2011
  • Surrey, British Columbia, Canada
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 05:45:51 PM »
The first picture (of one of your pups all grown up) is gorgeous! What a nice looking dog! S/he looks like their furnishings are a lot like Jedi - very full. And I just LOVE  B&S minis.
Jedi: S&P Parti mini born: 1/23/11  1.5yrs, 16.5lbs
Mercy (Mercedes): B&S mini born: 05/26/12 8.4 lbs
Scrapbooks:  Jedi\'s Picture Album and Comparison Pics
My Facebook Food Blog

Offline Peter

• Administrator
    • Dog Tricks Video
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 10:02:07 PM »
I had never heard about the bow tie before, but obviously mine are buzzed. Pukalu's shirt begins just below his bow tie, and Muka doesn't have one!

My dogs are being groomed a week late day after tomorrow and I couldn't even find the moles!

Peter

Offline Peter

• Administrator
    • Dog Tricks Video
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 06:06:16 PM »
The 3 moles are on the each cheeks and under the chin. You will find a big black hard whisker in each mole and can feel the mole on the skin. Most say to only shave up to the mole but when i was in Vegas picking up Tango I went out to breakfast with Joan Huber and she said to stay about 1/4 inch away from the moles so that is what i have been doing now.

Traci,

I asked my groomer about this today and she said that she used these whisker bunches (I think she called them) as guides. But where she draws the line with the clippers depends on the shape of the Schnauzer's head.

With Pukalu, she shaved about 1/4 inch beyond the two on the sides. But left the center one inside the beard.

Peter

Offline Traci

• Member since 2010
  • Puyallup, WA
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2011, 05:31:54 PM »
Yeah i noticed on Heaven who has a shorter muzzle than the rest of mine. She looked horrible when i shaved to the mole so now on her i stay closer to 1/2 inch away from it and it balances her out much nicer. Also on lil puppies i dont go all the way to the mole either. I think their lil muzzle is just too small to take all that off yet and would look funny.
Traci