Member Countries:                                                      

Author Topic: Do Schnauzer's shed?  (Read 9107 times)

Offline Peter

• Administrator
  • Pet Partners Instructor, Vancouver, WA
    • Dog Tricks Video
Do Schnauzer's shed?
« on: June 23, 2011, 12:23:14 PM »
I had always thought they didn't. But I just Googled it, and while most references say they don't, some say they do... a little.

The American Miniature Schnauzer Club website says:

"The Miniature Schnauzer does not shed, so he often can be enjoyed by people who are allergic to other breeds of dogs."

Then goes on to say:

"Miniature Schnauzers shed very little. They tend to cause fewer and less severe reactions in people allergic to dogs than breeds that shed more."

That helps a lot!

I have always told people they don't shed, except like people do. Over time all of our hair falls out and is replaced by new hair. We see it in our shower drains.

Last fall I had a horrible experience with mats in Pukalu. It was the perfect storm of my groomer becoming ill and having to put off his cut till 9 weeks, and his shedding his cottony puppy fur. Well, actually now I think that was his summer undercoat shedding (and maybe puppy fur too).

He had another attack this week, and now I learn that it's his winter undercoat shedding! And to expect this in early summer and early winter each year.

I don't notice this in Muka at all, but Pukalu has much softer, cottony fur. And at times like these it fills the brush daily, and turns into mats if I don't brush him.

So I'd say that if Muka "sheds" it is not something you'd notice, but with Pukalu, you do.

I've never had another breed, but I know I've been to homes where the furniture was covered with dog hair. Gag.

So I guess it's all relative. But it's interesting to see that Pukalu does have a pattern of shedding. Though it seems to stay on him and turn into mats rather than falling off, as I've never seen any in my home.

Peter
Mukaluka Dirtypaws, male black Miniature Schnauzer, 11/09/07, 15-1/8", 17.0 lb (goal) [medical]
Pukalu, male S&P Miniature Schnauzer, 03/27/10, 15", 15.5 lb (goal) [medical]
Also: About Peter ~ Our Therapy Dog Work ~ Our Tricks Video ~ Muka's Scrapbook

Offline MicheleZ

• Member since 2009
  • Mondamin, IA
    • Grady and Izzy's Website
Re: Do Schnauzer's shed?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 11:15:48 AM »
Grady and Izzy don't shed like our GSDs shed - but if I let their coat go too long without hand stripping they will shed and shed enough that it is noticable.  I think it is a myth that schnauzers don't shed.

Offline Debbie

• Member since 2009
  • Buckley, WA
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 11:39:03 AM »
I've never noticed any hair shedding off of Jetson.
The Dog is the God of Frolic
Jetson ~ Black and Silver Mini DOB: 8-28-2009
19.3 pounds

Offline MicheleZ

• Member since 2009
  • Mondamin, IA
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 11:47:37 AM »
Humm, wear all white, carry Jetson around for a while and then tell me if he sheds....seriously do it!  :devil:

Offline Peter

• Administrator
  • Pet Partners Instructor, Vancouver, WA
    • Dog Tricks Video
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 01:53:14 PM »
One of the dogs that so grossly left its hair all over the furniture was a Corgi. They are short haired, and probably don't get brushed.

When I brush my dogs daily, loose hair collects in the brush. So I'm sure if I didn't brush them, that hair would be falling out. Or growing into mats, more likely!

Peter
Mukaluka Dirtypaws, male black Miniature Schnauzer, 11/09/07, 15-1/8", 17.0 lb (goal) [medical]
Pukalu, male S&P Miniature Schnauzer, 03/27/10, 15", 15.5 lb (goal) [medical]
Also: About Peter ~ Our Therapy Dog Work ~ Our Tricks Video ~ Muka's Scrapbook

Offline Gerri

• Member since 2010
  • Essex, UK
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 02:47:24 PM »
I always thought Schnauzers were a low shed, low dander breed. All dogs shed to a certain extent - even poodles which makes a nonsense of all the -oodle crosses that are appearing and being sold as hypoallergenic!

I think as most Schnauzers are regularly groomed we don't notice the shedding as much because it ends up in the brush and not on clothes and furniture. Rufus sheds a little if I don't strip out his coat, but I only notice it in the dust bunnies under the sofa and not all over the floor and furniture. I very rarely even see it in his bedding.

Of course when I do groom him I have been known to nearly fill a bucket with hair!  :shocked:
Rufus - Giant born Feb 2010 (100lbs! - hopefully fully grown)
Blaze - Black Mini born Feb 2012
Albi - Black Mini born Sep 2010. Crossed over Rainbow Bridge April 2012 :(

Offline Kelly B

• Member since 2011
  • Surrey, British Columbia, Canada
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 05:48:41 PM »
I have yet to notice any real shedding with Jedi. A couple times after holding him I had one hair on me - just one, and it only happened a couple times. My husband is allergic - our guinea pigs shed  - it's the same allergy for dogs and guinea pigs - who knew! - (hold one and then you're covered in hair - even though I brush them) and my husband breaks out in hives, red swollen eyes etc... He has no problems with Jeid so far and he rubs his face on him and holds him all the time. My understanding of the breed is that they are considered very low shedding dogs. So even though you might get occassional hairs, a person with moderate allergies shouldn't be affected, although someone with severe allergies might. I would put my husband in the severe allergy category (his eyes have swollen to the point of his eye lids turning inside out  :shocked:  and has had every square inch covered in HUGE hives) and he's fine with Jedi. So perhaps the dander is different as well.
Jedi: S&P Parti mini born: 1/23/11  1.5yrs, 16.5lbs
Mercy (Mercedes): B&S mini born: 05/26/12 8.4 lbs
Scrapbooks:  Jedi\'s Picture Album and Comparison Pics
My Facebook Food Blog

Offline Deja

• Member since 2011
  • Grooming Student, Cleveland, OH
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 10:24:15 AM »
I always heard that they didn't shed. Then again, I never noticed much shedding with my cocker spaniel either. Q doesn't shed at all, maybe a little when I brush him after a bath, but that's to be expected.

Once I took a brush that I used on my cocker spaniel all the time on my friend's Chow Chow. Good lord, all that fur looked like another puppy! You couldn't get around that dog without a lot of fur on your clothes  :confused:

When I read about hand stripping on the forum and online, it sounded like you just kind of brush the dog with your hands, taking out any loose fur. Well, I tried that with Q and NOTHING came out, not one single hair, and he's in desperate need of a haircut!
Que, male B&S Mini, born 2/1/2011 - adopted 3/18/2011
True, female Border Collie Mix, born 6/7/2012 - adopted 10/19/2012

In memory: R.I.P. Mandy and Shadow

Offline MicheleZ

• Member since 2009
  • Mondamin, IA
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 02:40:50 PM »
Hand stripping is not brushing your hands through their fur - it is much more involved.

Offline Traci

• Member since 2010
  • Puyallup, WA
    • Ludwigs Mini Schnauzers
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 05:20:02 PM »
The only time ive ever seen a schnauzer shed was one i groomed for someone he was a real elderly one that wasnt in the best health.
I wonder if you let their coats go for too long maybe they will blow their coat like other breeds??
Traci
Ludwigs Mini Schnauzers  www.LudwigMS.com

Offline Alaina

• Member since 2010
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 07:18:47 PM »
My schnauzers don't shed, but I do.   :no:  I lose way more hair than they do.  I wear black slacks for work and rarely see a hair on them. They also sit in our recliners which have a maroon fleece blanket in the seat because they are cold to sit in.  Anyway, the fleece never has hair on it.

I also have friends that have 3 schnauzers, we never see hair from them either.
Alaina and the Girls:
Olivia - Black mini, 12 yrs., 11/30/2001, 15 lb
Gracie - S&P standard, 7 yrs., 09/03/2007, 32 lb
In memory:  Tilly - 1994 to 2007

Offline MicheleZ

• Member since 2009
  • Mondamin, IA
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2011, 05:06:54 AM »
It could be that stripped coats shed where clipped coats do not shed as much.  When you clip, you remove all their guard hairs and they are only left with a very short undercoat so I suspect that doesn't shed as much.  Stripped schnauzers have guard hairs that need to be stripped regularly and if you don't do it regularly they will shed those guard hairs.

Offline Tiffani

• Member since 2010
  • Animal lover, Oxford, WI
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2011, 08:56:21 AM »
Maiya sheds from time to time. Nothing like most dogs do though, its a few hairs here and there. I think it only happens when her coat is a little longer or right after she gets a bath.
My girls:
Maiya 05/08/10 S&P Mini 12.3lbs
Macy Mae 02/28/12 White Mini 11lbs
Morgan 06/22/08 2.6 lbs Chihuahua
Brandi Rose 08/07/14 German Short haired pointer

Karma Jo 02/19/13 Kitty
Kooper 12/31/13 Seal mink Desert Lynx (kitty)
The birds: Tuki, Fawkes, Aries(AKA Rudy), Talon, Maui, Serafina, Seeley, Sawyer, Jaxon, and Rampage

Offline Debbie

• Member since 2009
  • Buckley, WA
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2011, 09:10:47 AM »
Jetson sleeps on my pillow after I get up, well he tries to sleep on it when I am using it too, but I have never seen any hairs, except for my own. I change my pillow case a lot because I'm always thinking "oh yeah Jetson's butt was here last!" I am trying to get in the habit of proping it up at 4 am and putting his pillow there, but sometimes he beats me too it. The worst is when I get up in the night to go to the bathroom, then when I go to get back into bed, he has taken my spot!
The Dog is the God of Frolic
Jetson ~ Black and Silver Mini DOB: 8-28-2009
19.3 pounds

Online Sarah

• Member since 2009
  • Dog Trainer, Beaverton, OR
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2011, 02:44:05 PM »
Our two schnauzers growing up didn't shed at all - as in, I never once had a single dog hair on my clothing!  Bisi, however, does shed some.  But a big difference between him shedding versus other dogs shedding is that schnauzer hair doesn't seem to 'stick' the way other dog fur does.  There is zero on our furniture or on the floor, I only notice a few hairs on shirt if I wear black cotton. 

Kelly - I LOVE guinea pigs, but I am deathly allergic to them!  My pig who went to college with me was my baby, and I had to take prescription allergy pills in order to have her in the same house.  But LucyPig was totally worth it!  I am highly allergic to cats, and also find myself mildly allergic to some dogs, specifically dogs with short to medium length 'pokey' hairs, such as pugs and labs.  I get hives and itchy eyes, but a Benedryl fixes it quickly thank goodness.  I have to be careful not to rub my eyes when I'm teaching training classes, lest I have a reaction.  But I have never been at all allergic to any schnauzer or poodle, or other non-shedding breed (which is why the Spanish Water Dog has been a good fit for me).
Bismarck aka "Bisi" - S&P Mini, Age 9
Baxa - Spanish Water Dog, Age 9
Ophelia - Spanish Water Dog, Age 8 Weeks and so help me I hope we both make it through her puppyhood!
Scrapbook:  Introducing Bismarck