Author Topic: Coughing and sneezing  (Read 2543 times)

Offline KimM

• Member since 2011
  • Roanoke, VA
Coughing and sneezing
« on: July 10, 2011, 11:35:27 AM »
Hi everyone,

My Oskar sometimes coughs. Sometimes he sneezes too, but for the last couple of days he seems to be coughing. I think it’s a cough anyway. He is active and is using the bathroom normally. Today his appetite has been a little off, but that may be due to the fact I have been starting him on clicker training and he enjoyed it so much he wants me to hand feed him! So, other than the cough and occasional sneeze he seems normal. I called the vet at home since they’re closed today and I got his wife, who is his assistant. She asked me some questions and then said it was most likely allergies. Does anyone else’s dog do this or is it something I should be concerned about? I hate to sound like an over-protective mother, but it just worries me.
Oskar: Miniature Schnauzer Born April 12, 2011

Offline KimM

• Member since 2011
  • Roanoke, VA
Re: Coughing and sneezing
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 12:34:02 PM »
I should add that he was seen Wednesday by the vet for a check-up and was given the  :thumbsup: I should also add that sometimes he gags a bit at the end of the cough but nothing has come up and I see no discharge.

Offline Kelly B

• Member since 2011
  • Surrey, British Columbia, Canada
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 12:46:43 PM »
I'm sorry to hear about Oskar's coughing. Poor puppy. Jedi has been doing something weird lately too. I've wondered if it's the "reverse sneeze" I've heard of. He isn't quite coughing, and not quite sneezing - it's like a weird coughing/grunting noise. He's only done it twice, so I'm not too concerned. But like you Kim, I always feel like an overprotective parent with him. They're our furbabies! Hard not to worry.

I've not personally known a dog who has environmental allergies, but one lady on the forum recently posted about her dog's collapsed trachia. If I remember correctly, environmental allergies were the cause. Considering dogs can be allergic to food like humans can, it would make sense that they could be allergic to pollen etc also. Can they do a blood test to determine what his allergies are if that's in fact what it is. Also is there some kind of allergy medicine dogs can have? There must be something to relieve his symptoms.
Jedi: S&P Parti mini born: 1/23/11  1.5yrs, 16.5lbs
Mercy (Mercedes): B&S mini born: 05/26/12 8.4 lbs
Scrapbooks:  Jedi\'s Picture Album and Comparison Pics
My Facebook Food Blog

Offline KimM

• Member since 2011
  • Roanoke, VA
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 01:14:34 PM »
It doesn’t seem to be a persistent cough nor does he seem to have discomfort whilst doing it. It usually occurs after playing or coming in from outside. He’ll cough for about 30 seconds or so, then stop. He doesn’t cough in his sleep or wake up coughing. Someone just showed me a video of kennel cough and it’s nothing like that. His nose is dry, but a friend told me that doesn’t mean he is sick. I am new to this puppy business! It’s like having new babies all over again, I feel the same worry.

I just watched reversed sneezing on you tube and it isn’t that, but your poor puppy!

Offline Angela

• Member since 2010
  • Clermont, FL
    • Schnauzer & Spice
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 04:25:01 PM »
Is Oskar your only animal?

Lotte did that most of last summer (her first summer), a cough like she's clearing her throat sort of after running/being outside (in addition to reverse sneezing, but the reverse sneezes stopped long ago). Clean bill of health from her vet, no coughing all winter...

Some process of elimination, because it only happens at home around the cats, and I'm pretty sure, in her case, that it's just cat hair she's picking up.

Could also be pollen/grass particles/sand getting in his throat when he's outside, especially if he's running around with his mouth open. Or just a dry throat.

Anyway, even though he was just seen, you could always have the vet check him out again if it'll make you feel better. As long as he got the :thumbsup: though, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Lotte, 2 year old s&p mini DOB: 2/4/2010
My blog: Schnauzer & Spice

"A puppy is but a dog, plus high spirits, and minus common sense."
Any reading recommendations? Send them my way! Always on the lookout for more training books to read!

Offline Peter

• Founder 2008
  • Pet Partners Instructor, Vancouver, WA
    • Dog Tricks Video
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 08:33:21 PM »
The only coughing we've ever had was when Pukalu would eat treats while very excited. Almost like they were getting caught in his throat?

It never lasted so I didn't worry about it. Hasn't happened for a long time now.

Nature's wonderful about healing most ailments.

Peter
Mukaluka Dirtypaws, male black Miniature Schnauzer, 11/09/07, 15-1/8", 17.5 lb (goal) [medical]
Pukalu, male S&P Miniature Schnauzer, 03/27/10, 15", 15.5 lb (goal) [medical]
Also: About Peter ~ Our Therapy Dog Work ~ Our Tricks Video ~ Muka's Scrapbook

Offline Pat & Cliff

• Member since 2011
  • Ferrisburgh, VT
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 07:24:28 AM »
You might just want to keep a little diary noting time, how long the cough lasted, activity, and what, if anything was eaten.  Chances are that it isn't anything to worry about, but making notes could help you and your Vet identify a pattern.  It has been a terrible allergy season for pets and people alike.  I think Peter maybe on to something...in that treats eaten when a pup is excited can be gulped instead of chewed causing some sticking in the throat.  Heck, I can do that myself with a good cookie!

PS Oskar is such a cutie!
Thanks for being here, Pat and Her Boys:
One dog loving husband:  Cliff
Chester Field (motley mix) 11 yrs and counting
Go Mi Nam (aka Jeremy) 6/09/12  Male B&S Miniature Schnauzer
Go Mi Nyu (aka Gemma) 1/20/14 Female B&S Miniature Schnauzer

Offline KimM

• Member since 2011
  • Roanoke, VA
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 07:24:45 AM »
Thank you. I took him to the vet and they examined him and declared that it was allergies. He said Oscar was the third dog he had seen that week due to allergies. He said that he could give him something called Atarax (not sure if that spelling is correct), but he would rather wait and see if it passes or wait until Oscar is a bit older. I switched to chemical free/odor free Tide to wash our clothes and bought a steam mop to clean the floors instead of using chemicals since his little nose is so close to the floor and I now dust everyday instead of every two days. So far, his allergies seem better. Too bad I have to take him outside where I am sure most of the allergens are.

And Thank you about him being cute! He is adorable and the most precious baby! He brings so much joy to me and my family.

Offline Gerri

• Member since 2010
  • Essex, UK
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 09:10:42 AM »

I wondered if your dog had kennel cough. (Not sure if it's called something else in the US). It's the equivalent of a human cold but in dogs, not life threatening but it is contagious.

Rufus had it last year, I think we picked it up at a dog show!  :no:
Rufus - Giant born Feb 2010 (100lbs! - hopefully fully grown)
Blaze - Black Mini born Feb 2012
Albi - Black Mini born Sep 2010. Crossed over Rainbow Bridge April 2012 :(

Offline Pat & Cliff

• Member since 2011
  • Ferrisburgh, VT
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 09:31:09 AM »
I want you to tell me how you like your steam mop after you've used it a bit.  I've been thinking about getting one.  We don't use perfume products/chemicals in the house because I'm sensitive to them, but I've always thought that anything which is heavily scented must drive dogs crazy.  Their sense of smell is so much more acute than ours.  As to the outdoors...whatever Oscar is sensitive to won't always be in large enough quantity to make him ill.  I thought I'd explode from allergies this past Spring and now I'm just fine.  Cliff, who isn't bothered by Spring Allergies, is sneezing up a storm these days.  So, hopefully, Oscar will get past his allergy window soon.
Thanks for being here, Pat and Her Boys:
One dog loving husband:  Cliff
Chester Field (motley mix) 11 yrs and counting
Go Mi Nam (aka Jeremy) 6/09/12  Male B&S Miniature Schnauzer
Go Mi Nyu (aka Gemma) 1/20/14 Female B&S Miniature Schnauzer

Offline Peter

• Founder 2008
    • Dog Tricks Video
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2011, 12:44:11 PM »
I'm glad you learned something about the problem!

Gerri,

My dogs get a kennel cough vaccination annually.

Peter
Mukaluka Dirtypaws, male black Miniature Schnauzer, 11/09/07, 15-1/8", 17.5 lb (goal) [medical]

Offline KimM

• Member since 2011
  • Roanoke, VA
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2011, 01:39:26 PM »
@Gerri

I wondered that too at first. I believe he got inoculated for it--he still has a shot set to go. The vet ruled that out thankfully. I hope Rufus doesn’t get it again! Poor doggie.

@Pat & Cliff

I already used it and I love it. It dries almost instantly which means Oskar doesn’t have to stay in his crate too long and there are no chemicals involved. I used the “white sock” test afterward and they were spotless.

@Peter

Oskar has been a learning experience all the way around! When I took him to the vet I stayed outside until he was ready to be seen, there were dogs in the waiting area and since he hasn’t had all his shots yet, I was wary about letting him in there. I heard a lady say to her husband that I was being over-protective. Perhaps I am, but I want to be sure he stays healthy and happy!

Offline Peter

• Founder 2008
    • Dog Tricks Video
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2011, 08:59:41 PM »
I've ALWAYS held my dogs or kept them on my lap at the vet. Never on the ground.

However, tomorrow I'm taking them both so no chance of that!

Peter