Member Countries:                                        
MySchnauzer.net Celebrates Diversity! April 23, 2014, 10:47:34 PM
   Home   Help    Index Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Scissoring Legs  (Read 2228 times)
Traci
Member since 2010

Puyallup, WA

« on: July 12, 2011, 11:31:22 AM »

Here is a video of how the pro's do it Wink

Miniature Schnauzer Legs

“Until one has loved a Schnauzer a part of one's soul remains unawakened.”
Peter
Started this 2008

Vancouver, WA

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 12:06:01 PM »

Nonsense!

1. Drive to groomer's.

2. Leave dogs.

3. Pick up dogs.

Oh yeah, and pay a lot of cash. But no way I'm trying that!

Peter

P.S.

I actually stay and watch my dogs get groomed. So you'd think I could do it by now!?!

They get a "short sport" cut so they are a little easier to brush daily. That's why their leg hair is shorter than in the video.

Mukaluka Dirtypaws, male black Miniature Schnauzer, 11/09/07, 15-1/8", 17.5 lb (goal)[medical]
Pukalu, male S&P Miniature Schnauzer, 03/27/10, 15", 15.5 lb (goal) [medical]
Also: Peter, His Dogs and His Websites ~ Our Therapy Dog Work ~ Our Tricks Video at DogTricksVideo.com ~ Muka's Scrapbook
KarenB
Member since 2011

Greenwich, CT

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 12:19:31 PM »

They make it look so easy! And that dog never moves an inch! I received my grooming table so I made an attempt to do a little better grooming on Otto this weekend.  Not so easy!  I was so nervous my hands were shaky while trying to trim all the hair from between the foot pads.  I trimmed the furnishings a bit but I couldn't work with both hands because Otto kept moving around and trying to eat all the hair from the table!  I assume with practice, and training him to be still, I'll get better.  It looks so easy in all these videos but I found it quite stressful.  I just kept reminding myself "it's only hair, it'll grow back"!  Smiley  He did look much better though.  His furnishings looked more tidy and I got all that ridiculous long hair off his chest and made his skirt nice and short.  I just can't really get the rolling thing down though.  I've got lines on him and every single week, I remove a huge pile of hair, it takes too hands to pick up the pile, but as you can see in my pics from this weekend, he still has a ton of hair!

Otto RN, TDI, black MS, 13.5" & 14 lb, born 3-19-11
Francy
Member since 2011

Hartford, IL

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 07:17:36 AM »

Uh, wow, what a beautiful dog!!  I absolutely love the legs and how puffy they are!! I guess they use a special powder to make them do that??   I wish my girls' legs could do that.  Karen, I too bought my own table/clippers/etc. last year after never being satisfied with groomers and the cost. Actually the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back was that I had to wait over 6 hours for my mini Katie to be groomed at a Pet Smart. The girl was so slow, plus she trimmed her beard short, which I specifically said at least twice not to touch!!  My time was too valuable so I immediately went home and ordered my own equipment.  I agree with you, the first time I took the clippers to the dogs I was a freaked out mess. But, as you keep going along and watch videos and look at pictures, it gets a lot easier and you get more comfortable. Now I feel like I am doing a really good job with the schnauzer cut...it's my white westie that is really hard to get right.  His coat shows every stinking clipper mark and it is really hard to fade into his skirt.  Poor Jack always has to wait about 2 weeks after his coat grows out until he looks decent again. But I am forever learning. 

Oh, yeah, I really wish my dogs would stand still like that and let me lift their back legs that high and hold them up there like that good boy in the video is doing!!  Geesh!! I wish....maybe with lots more practice.

The Crazy Train.....Katie Lee (2 year old S&P mini), Heidi (P&S Standard, DOB: 11-16-10), Jack (3 year old Westie), and Charlie (1 year old Irish wolfhound mix).
Traci
Member since 2010

Puyallup, WA

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 09:42:21 AM »

Im sure there are many ways to table train a dog for grooming but here is what i do... remember baby steps, make it fun and lots of treats!

Do this once a day
I use a grooming table- If you dont have one put a rubber backed rug or something non slip on your table/counter/crate top.
Put the dog on the table and stack the dog. meaning put him in the stance/position you want him in. A natural position will be more comfortable and easier for him to hold longer. If the dog moves a foot i say Ah-Ah and i put the foot back where it was. I make the dog stay in position for a lil bit at a time rewarding when he was good and work up to longer time the better he gets. If he sits down I say Ah-Ah and stand him back up. At first you might have to help by holding one hand between the back legs and the other on the neck/jaw area. I try to make this table training time a good thing so lots of praise and and treats. While the dog is standing i go over the dog kinda like a judge or vet would for an exam. I look at the bite, look in the ears, pick up the feet. Many times the puppy thinks you now touching him is an excuse to move so just say Ah-Ah and put him back in position and go back about your business of going over him. Even if the pup turns his head to the side put it back to where you had it.  Once you puppy is good at standing still add some grooming to the sessions such as starting with gentle brushing, or rub a lil toothpaste on a few teeth, work up to cutting a nail or two, pluck a couple of ear hairs. Dont add too much at once. What ever you do make it positive and rewarding then after awhile your dog just knows when he is on the table he stands still while you do whatever you want to him   Devil

Kelly B
Member since 2011

Surrey, British Columbia, Canada

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 08:49:38 PM »

Now THAT is a good looking schnauzer! That dog was perfect.

I'm considering getting a good clipper set and trying to groom Jedi myself. But I am scared. I was happy when he didn't try to eat Catherine last time she groomed him.   Chew  He is a stubborn boy on that table, although he was much better last time, I can't imagine him ever standing that still.

I try to brush him while he stands on my coffee table or kitchen island. It is definitely a work in progress and some days no progress at all.

Jedi: S&P Parti mini born: 1/23/11  1.5yrs, 16.5lbs
Mercy (Mercedes): B&S mini born: 05/26/12 8.4 lbs
Scrapbooks:  Jedi\'s Picture Album and Comparison Pics
My Facebook Food Blog
Seda
Member since 2011

Houston, TX

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 05:53:05 AM »

Im sure there are many ways to table train a dog for grooming but here is what i do... remember baby steps, make it fun and lots of treats!

Do this once a day
I use a grooming table- If you dont have one put a rubber backed rug or something non slip on your table/counter/crate top.
Put the dog on the table and stack the dog. meaning put him in the stance/position you want him in. A natural position will be more comfortable and easier for him to hold longer. If the dog moves a foot i say Ah-Ah and i put the foot back where it was. I make the dog stay in position for a lil bit at a time rewarding when he was good and work up to longer time the better he gets. If he sits down I say Ah-Ah and stand him back up. At first you might have to help by holding one hand between the back legs and the other on the neck/jaw area. I try to make this table training time a good thing so lots of praise and and treats. While the dog is standing i go over the dog kinda like a judge or vet would for an exam. I look at the bite, look in the ears, pick up the feet. Many times the puppy thinks you now touching him is an excuse to move so just say Ah-Ah and put him back in position and go back about your business of going over him. Even if the pup turns his head to the side put it back to where you had it.  Once you puppy is good at standing still add some grooming to the sessions such as starting with gentle brushing, or rub a lil toothpaste on a few teeth, work up to cutting a nail or two, pluck a couple of ear hairs. Dont add too much at once. What ever you do make it positive and rewarding then after awhile your dog just knows when he is on the table he stands still while you do whatever you want to him   Devil
Thank you very much for explaining the process of training them. I  Heart this forum, I learn so much and get inspired every day.

FeBee - Female, S&P, 04.01.2011
KarenB
Member since 2011

Greenwich, CT

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 06:38:54 AM »

I set up the table in the guest bedroom (my place is so small, there's no room for it!). We had our first training session last night.  I brushed out his legs and just worked on him standing still.  He did pretty well but I think it was because there was no hair to eat! I think I have to work most on keeping his head in place.  We've already been working on "stand" for obedience so he stood pretty well, it's the wild head.  Of course I wasn't trying to clip or snip or dremel!

Traci
Member since 2010

Puyallup, WA

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 12:08:42 PM »

Here is a video that kinda shows you how to train the dog. Keep in mind they are table training for showing the dog where as most of you are probably just wanting to train the dog to stand still for grooming but this video still gives you an idea on how the dog will test you but if you are consistant with a lil correction and praise it will work wonders.

Traci  Daisey

Stacking Dogs Tips Part 1

Peter
Started this 2008

Vancouver, WA

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2011, 10:04:27 PM »

Ref the very ending... if there's anything I've learned from training my circus dogs, it's that it has to be fun!

Peter

Mukaluka Dirtypaws, male black Miniature Schnauzer, 11/09/07, 15-1/8", 17.5 lb (goal)[medical]
Pukalu, male S&P Miniature Schnauzer, 03/27/10, 15", 15.5 lb (goal) [medical]
Also: Peter, His Dogs and His Websites ~ Our Therapy Dog Work ~ Our Tricks Video at DogTricksVideo.com ~ Muka's Scrapbook
Traci
Member since 2010

Puyallup, WA

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 04:02:23 PM »

Karen B,  I have one that loves to eat hair!! Gross!!!
What ive done is have 1 tall trash can or sometimes i use 2! One on each end of the grooming table and every few minutes i use my greyhound comb to sweep the hair in the can. Most grooming tables come with a grooming arm and noose if your dogs head is in the noose the dog cant reach down to eat hair off the table  Chew

Traci  Daisey

KarenB
Member since 2011

Greenwich, CT

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2011, 10:57:06 AM »

Actually what I've been doing is pulling the vacuum cleaner in by the grooming table when I shave or scissor.  Every little bit, I just vacuum the table.  I mainly do this so the hair doesn't make its way to the floor but it also removes the temptation for him.  I do have the noose and I had it fairly high but that first time, he was straining and choking himself until he could just lap up some hair!  After working with him pretty regularly with your suggestions, he's actually doing just fine standing on the table now.  I only do work on him every couple of weeks (I strip on him weekly but I usually do that with him lying between my legs on the lawn) but I put him up there once or twice a day and comb out his furnishings.  He doesn't have to stand too long and when he's done, he gets a little treat.  He likes to go on the table now.  I only watched that video above last night and now I'm going to start working on "head straight"!  He will stand still with his body, but his head, not so much!  Other than the head, he's really good. He will sit and let me lift a let to trim his armpits, will lie on his back while I shave his belly (except when I burn his balls with hot clipper blades!  Skull) and will let me hold up both front legs to trip his chest area.  Saying all that makes it sound like my dog is way better groomed than he actually looks! I think now all it will take is a little more time and he'll be super easy to work on.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print