Member Countries:                                                        

Author Topic: Schnauzer Bumps aka Schnauzer Comedone Syndrome  (Read 57128 times)

Online Peter Christensen

• Administrator
  • Pet Partners Instructor, Vancouver, WA
    • Dog Tricks Video
Schnauzer Bumps aka Schnauzer Comedone Syndrome
« on: September 23, 2011, 05:16:25 PM »
Looking for Information on Schnauzer Bumps?

I couldn't find a thorough explanation, so I researched and created the web page Schnauzer Bumps aka Schnauzer Comedone Syndrome to share what I learned.

You can help others by sharing what you've learned. Forum members can post their stories and questions here, and others can e-mail me.

Thank you,

Peter Christensen
Contact @ MySchnauzer.net

Mukaluka Dirtypaws, male black Miniature Schnauzer, 11/09/07, 15-1/8", 17.0 lb (goal) [medical]
Pukalu, male S&P Miniature Schnauzer, 03/27/10, 15", 15.5 lb (goal) [medical]
Also: About Peter ~ Our Therapy Dog Work ~ Our Tricks Video ~ Muka's Scrapbook

Offline JeffR

• Member since 2011
  • Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Re: Schnauzer Bumps aka Schnauzer Comedone Syndrome
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 09:23:30 PM »
Rumble has had about 3 runs of "Schnauzer bumps" - we've treated successfully with anti-biotics and shampoo. He's clear right now.

None of his have been more than 'bumps", but have clustered and felt a little crusty sometimes. Never once has he been bothered, and they seem to start near his tail and move forward.

We're watching him now for any recurrence.
Rumble:  Male Miniature Schnauzer, 5-years-old

Offline Sarah

• Member since 2009
  • Dog Trainer, Beaverton, OR
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 02:13:47 AM »
Great post Peter! 

I've also been extremely confused about Schnauzer Bumps.  Bisi is what my vet calls "cyst-prone" (not a technical term!).  He has had several cysts that have popped and drained on their own.  The smallest one started out about the size of a pea, and got a bit bigger before bursting.  2 of the others that have burst were a bit bigger to start out with.  3 of the 4 were there for years before bursting, and one I never even noticed he had, so I'm unsure of what size it was beforehand (though the wound it left afterwards was huge...it actually burst AT the vet of all things, so they shaved the area and cleaned it).  He currently has two on his head that have been there for over a year...but those are coming out at his teeth cleaning in a couple of weeks.  All of the ones that have drained on their own drained a brownish sticky fluid, followed by clear fluid.  We have treated each one with hot compresses and antibiotics. 

He also has two small, hard bumps on his head that do not feel anything at all like the cysts do.  They are not squishy, and seem to be more a part of the skin rather than on it.  My vet said these are likely schnauzer bumps.

Bisi will occasionally (once or twice a year) get small, red pus filled bumps on his tummy.  These I believe are allergy-related, and eventually always crust over and go away within a few weeks. 

And then we also have the benign tumor on his lower jaw.  I can't remember what type it is (I was sooo relieved to find out it wasn't cancerous that I didn't think to write down the name of the thing when the vet called...I will call Monday and find out), but it is definitely a tumor and not a cyst.  This, too, will be removed when we get his teeth cleaned.

So...overall, it seems that Bisi has practically every different type, size and shape of 'bump' possible! 

Bismarck aka "Bisi" - S&P Mini, Age 9
Baxa - Spanish Water Dog, Age 9
Ophelia - Spanish Water Dog, Age 8 Weeks and so help me I hope we both make it through her puppyhood!
Scrapbook:  Introducing Bismarck

Offline Janet

• Member since 2011
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 06:15:48 AM »
Wow, thanks Peter! I think that Cole has 2 or 3 tiny bumps that might fall into this category. More like a hard little white head.... dry and immoveable. I will watch and see what happens. They are not on his back.... hmmmm.

You're right, it seems like a catch-all condition. I did buy some grizzley salmon oil over the weekend and have started adding it to dinner. I think brushing with the natural bristle brush in general might help though Cole has very thin, fine hair, which is why he's cold in the winter. Bumps don't seem to bother him at all.

They both need to be groomed soon and I'll ask the groomer her thoughts as well. Thanks again for trying to make some logical sense from the bumps!!
Cole: black Mini 4 years old and 9 lb (5/27/07)
Jenny Girl: S&P Mini 3 years old and 15 lbs (9/10/08)

Offline Liz

• Member since 2011
  • Illinois
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 10:48:08 PM »
I have noticed that when I used dog shampoos and creme rinses with no chemicals in it, the bumps went away and never came back. We use Cloud Star "Buddy Wash".  My female does have one that is about the size of a dried up, shriveled pea, that never goes away but it does not bother her. It seems to be getting slightly larger as the years go by. The vet knows it is there and I am careful with the clippers when I groom her.
Zoey: Female S&P Mini, 2/24/2003
Zeus: Male Silver Mini, 9/26/2004
Eden: Female Standard, 11/16/2011

Offline Janet NW

• Member since 2011
  • Coastal Washington
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 08:25:18 AM »
I'm lucky so far, Max doesn't have any....
Max: Black Miniature Schnauzer, 5 years old

Offline Debbie

• Member since 2009
  • Buckley, WA
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 07:10:00 AM »
On the back of one of Jetson hind legs up high kind on his thigh, but the back side of the leg. Is a little lump maybe as big as a BB we can feel it, but can't really see anything. So we are just feeling it on a regular basis and see if it changes. It sort of sounds like one of these bumps, but it is not icky looking. and doesn't bother him.
The Dog is the God of Frolic
Jetson ~ Black and Silver Mini DOB: 8-28-2009
19.3 pounds

Online Peter Christensen

• Administrator
    • Dog Tricks Video
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 08:31:40 AM »
Debbie,

That sounds like Muka's two chronic bumps, though they will occasionally fill and then release.

Muka's been on his fish oil capsules to see if it helps for about 3 of the 4-months supply I got. But it's kinda frustrating that with his long winter coat I can't really find them anyway. I'll see after his cut in a couple weeks.

And I'll say again that I'm suspicious that the people that say cuts cause the bumps are getting it wrong... it's just that you can suddenly find them after they get cut!

Peter
Mukaluka Dirtypaws, male black Miniature Schnauzer, 11/09/07, 15-1/8", 17.0 lb (goal) [medical]

Offline Debbie

• Member since 2009
  • Buckley, WA
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 09:17:59 AM »
Debbie,

That sounds like Muka's two chronic bumps, though they will occasionally fill and then release.

Muka's been on his fish oil capsules to see if it helps for about 3 of the 4-months supply I got. But it's kinda frustrating that with his long winter coat I can't really find them anyway. I'll see after his cut in a couple weeks.

And I'll say again that I'm suspicious that the people that say cuts cause the bumps are getting it wrong... it's just that you can suddenly find them after they get cut!

Peter
This is a good thread about the subject. I don't believe it is from cuts at all.

If I was worried about it being serious I would go to the Vet, or if he gets anymore.

Deb
The Dog is the God of Frolic
Jetson ~ Black and Silver Mini DOB: 8-28-2009
19.3 pounds

Offline Cloud

• Member since 2012
  • Winslow, AZ
    • My FaceBook Page
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2012, 05:02:27 PM »
I've always called it "Nouner Crud"  I've "heard" that a rinse in the old light tan colored Listerine, don't wash off helps a lot, actually I've heard from a lot old time groomers that said they have used it.....that works wonders for a lot of skin issue
If humans have supposed stature above all other creatures, is it not our responsibility to show kindness, care and compassion to those lesser then ourselves? To speak for those with no voice, to act for those who cannot?
----- Joleena CloudDancer Mogle

Join me for animals on FB, some of the pics aren't pretty, but networking  saves lives and makes changes. Warning, LOTS of posts
http://facebook.com/joleenacm

Offline Bob SD

• Member since 2012
  • Black Hills of South Dakota
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2012, 06:14:40 PM »
Hi to all that have posted to this problem. Have just been to my third vet now and the first two said it was acne, but the last vet said it was for sure SCS. He said there is no way to get rid of it, the key is to control. And by that I would think get it to where it does not bother the dog to the point you have to keep a e-collar on her to keep her from biting the areas and causing infections. I have been battleling this since last September, and right now I am not winning!

What I have learned so far, cutting the hair skin close exposes the acne and you can see the oils spots surfacing, and heals faster because it cannot form a patchy crust encompassing the hair follicles.  Certain baths are more affective then others, one being SulfOxydex, which is not longer available, great! But I have found what they claim is a subs. for Sulf-Oxy and that is Vet Solution BPO 3 Shampoo, and Dermapet Benzoyl Peroxide Shampoo plus. I have ordered both will let you know if one or both helps? 

Peter you did a great job addressing difficult problem for min-schnauzers, and its a tough issue and can manifest each dog slightly different and making the treatment plan varying. I am still out there in the middle of the ocean treading water looking for land!  :sad: Oh about schnauzer bumps, my male has two of them, nothing like what my girl is going through, It looks like the second picture, only thing about it, when at the groomers it could be cut, and wondering if I should have it removed, My male does not even know its their.

Schatzi, female Miniature Schnauzer, 11 years old and my sweetheart
Doc, male Miniature Schnauzer, 13 years old, R.I.P.

Offline Gisele

• Member since 2012
  • West des Moines, IA Foster Dog Parent
    • Dawggie Bows
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 12:29:01 PM »
Peter is right I give Kokos 1000mg of fish oil every other day... her coat is very shinny and healthy  :paw:
Kokos (pronounced Koukos), Female S&P Miniature Schnauzer, born 3/7/2007 in Norway
Adopted 8/18/2012 - 17 lbs Natural ears and tail
Riley Male S&P Miniature Schnauzer born 10/7/2009
Fostered since 11/6/2012 - 15 lbs ears cropped and tail docked.
US Grand Champion Riley is no longer a foster.. he found his forever home with me :)

Offline Pam O

• Member since 2011
  • Allen, TX
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2013, 11:36:43 AM »
Lucy used to have a patch break out on her back every now and then....I would treat with hydrogen peroxide and they'd go away...yeah...she'd have a brownish patch on that spot until her next groom but oh well.  But...fish oil capsules IMO are the key to controlling them.  She hardly has any when she's on the fish oil regularly. 
Lucy, CGC, TG3, TIAD, RATI, RATN, NF, SPJ, SPK - 11/10/09 - 14". 16 lb. - Black mini w/ white markings

Online Peter Christensen

• Administrator
    • Dog Tricks Video
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2013, 06:16:44 PM »
Pam, can you please describe what they look like in as much detail as possible?

Muka's were just bumps below the skin, feeling like a BB under the skin. Then they'd get bigger and release junk then be smaller again. Then they went away with the fish oil.

Are you talking about something above the skin? Sores? Scabs? Bumps? Rough, hard and wart-like? Or soft and mole-like?

I want to be sure we're not talking apples and oranges when we talk about Schnauzer bumps.

Thanks!

Offline Pam O

• Member since 2011
  • Allen, TX
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2013, 05:59:36 AM »
Lucy's are bumps right at the surfac of the skin...kinda like pimples.  Not hard like BB's tho.  I'll admit it....(hanging head in shame)...I pick them then treat with peroxide.  But they're definitely not totally under the skin....they have a head on them that picks off easily.  But I'm happy to say that her patch on her back looks great...I can see the skin well when she's freshly groomed and we had that done last week.  No rough skin at all now.  Fish oil is part of her raw diet anyhow but I made the link when we ran out once and bumps came back....started it back up and they went away.

One note on fish oil...and not sure if it matters for bumps or not...but it does for the raw diet.  I only count the Omega 3 oils when figuring how much to give.  I give 500 - 700 mg. of Omega 3 oil daily.  My 1000mg fish oil capsules that I currently have are 300mg. of Omega 3 each...so I give 2 of them daily. 
Lucy, CGC, TG3, TIAD, RATI, RATN, NF, SPJ, SPK - 11/10/09 - 14". 16 lb. - Black mini w/ white markings