Shop Amazon here and support Columbia River Pet Partners!

Author Topic: Why Our Schnauzers Bark  (Read 3906 times)

Offline Peter

• Administrator
  • Pet Partners Instructor, Vancouver, WA
    • Dog Tricks Video
Why Our Schnauzers Bark
« on: December 17, 2011, 12:02:11 PM »
It's counterintuitive for dogs to bark!

Historically, when they were hunting in a pack, if a dog found a squirrel and barked in excitement it would scare all the other squirrels away. The other pack members would not be happy campers!

But when man started to develop breeds to use in hunting, terriers were taught to bark so when they pinned a squirrel or other animal down in its burrow, their master could find them.

At first they wore bells on their collars, but they got caught and strangled the dogs. So they were taught to bark.

I think we need to accept that this is characteristic of the Schnauzer breed, know that Schnauzers do tend to be "barky," and not be overly sensitive when we hear it from others.

Yes, it's still rude when we hear someone say, "Oh, you have a barky Schnauzer!" Just as it would be rude for someone to say about a child, "Well, of course he's acting up, he's a boy!"

But instead of getting nastily defensive, we might use the opportunity for a little (sarcastic) education. How's this for a reply to such a comment?

"Well, of course! Schnauzer's were breed to bark to inform their masters when they pinned down their prey. But he's just a puppy now, and I'll have him trained not to bark in no time."

Peter
Mukaluka Dirtypaws, male black Miniature Schnauzer, 11/09/07, 15-1/8", 17.0 lb (goal) [medical]
Pukalu, male S&P Miniature Schnauzer, 03/27/10, 15", 15.5 lb (goal) [medical]
Also: About Peter ~ Our Therapy Dog Work ~ Our Tricks Video ~ Muka's Scrapbook

Offline KarenB

• Member since 2011
  • Greenwich, CT
Re: Why Our Schnauzers Bark
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 06:49:31 AM »
As long as he's actually a puppy!  I can't tell you how many times someone excuses their dog's behavior with "he's just a puppy", then when you ask how old, it's NOT a puppy.  Yesterday a neighbor used that excuse for his dog's behavior and I said "Oh, mine too!  How old is your guy"?  He said "he's two".  I said "Dude, I don't you can hitch your cart to that horse anymore"! LOL  When he found out how old Otto is, he said "Wow, well I guess I should be pretty embarrassed" - YEP!
Otto RN, TDI, black MS, 13.5" & 14 lb, born 3-19-11

Offline Peter

• Administrator
    • Dog Tricks Video
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 04:22:04 PM »
Muka went through a major change in maturity at 18 months. At 20, I'm still waiting for Pukalu! LOL

I was being real strict since I wanted Muka to be a therapy dog, and people around my condo would always excuse his behavior, saying he was just a puppy.

Never having owned a dog before, I couldn't accept that after about six months. But when Muka had this great change at 18 months, it led me to believe they had a point.

But however long they are puppies, we should always be working toward our goals.

Peter
Mukaluka Dirtypaws, male black Miniature Schnauzer, 11/09/07, 15-1/8", 17.0 lb (goal) [medical]

Offline Suzy

• Member since 2012
  • Ontario, Canada
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 12:45:27 PM »
I do as well find it mildly offensive when I tell people I have a schnauzer. "Oh he must be pretty barky and snappy". I always "snap" back, actually he is very well mannered and has a "no bark" command. I even had a close friend ask me why I choose such an awful breed...  :lightning: :lightning: I was not a happy camper.  :angry: :angry:

The vet has even commented how quiet and well mannered Merlin is. The only time he has growled at someone was when they snuck up behind him, picked him up and put him on his shoulder. He let out a little like grrr ghhhh. Of course the person put him down and was like.. what a mean little thing. I stuck up for him and said " I am pretty sure I wouldn't like being surprised picked up by a stranger". I just now tell people to not pick him up, as I don't want it become unpleasant for him.
Merlin, male black Miniature Schnauzer, born April 16, 2012

Offline Alaina

• Member since 2010
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 07:49:11 PM »
Even though we have a mini  :Schnauzer: and a standard  :Schnauzer: , I've unintentionally insulted other mini   :Schnauzer: owners.  People see us and ask the difference between the mini and standard and my response is usually that the standard really doesn't bark like the mini.  I then get a disgusted look and a comment that their's doesn't bark.  So now, I usually just say that the standard doesn't bark and I don't compare her to the mini. 
Alaina and the Girls:
Olivia - Black mini, 12 yrs., 11/30/2001, 15 lb
Gracie - S&P standard, 7 yrs., 09/03/2007, 32 lb
In memory:  Tilly - 1994 to 2007

Offline Deja

• Member since 2011
  • Grooming Student, Cleveland, OH
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 07:42:46 PM »
Miniature Schnauzers aren't really a popular breed here, so many people don't know the stigma attached to them, unless you go to a pet store. But I have noticed, as soon as I say "Mini" they make some comment about "ankle biters" and "yappy". I tell them that que is not a yappy dog, but when he does bark its high-pitch enough to make you jump out your skin! I also make sure to add that he'd do MUCH more damage than an ankle bite if someone were to try to break in our house :wink:
Que, male B&S Mini, born 2/1/2011 - adopted 3/18/2011
True, female Border Collie Mix, born 6/7/2012 - adopted 10/19/2012

In memory: R.I.P. Mandy and Shadow

Offline Mia

• Member since 2012
  • South Puget Sound, WA
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 11:41:10 PM »
Well, the only time that Winston barks is when someone comes to the door that he does not know.  This is decreasing.  He stops being alert, etc. when he gets to sniff the new person.

When one of the neighbor's dogs starts barking, and sets off another neighbor's dogs, etc. all down the street, I look around and Addy and Winston are just sitting there listening.   :angel:
Adelaide aka Addy, black MS, born around August 2011, rescued Feb 2012
Winston, faded S&P MS, born around 2006, rescued July 2012

Offline Sarah D

• Member since 2011
  • San Bernardino, CA
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 07:21:12 AM »
I always have people telling me at the dog park how surprised they are at how friendly archimedes is, and that schnauzers arent friendly and only ever like their owner. Couldnt be further from the truth IMO.
Archimedes: Goofball Schnauzer, 3 years old
Wicket: boxer, my heart Aug 2008- August 2014

Offline MelissaH

• Member since 2012
  • Texas
    • yuki and rocket
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 01:26:02 PM »
anytime someone comments about my barky two, i tell them they are schnauzers and were bred to be watch dogs for their masters farms. i have noticed they do more than just the standard barking. they actually talk with their barks, and i have been able to decipher the meaning of their different barks.  i have accepted that they will always be a little more barky then other breeds.
Yuki, white, female Miniature Schnauzer born August 2010
Rocket, S&P, male Miniature Schnauzer w/ natural tail born May 2011

Offline Peter

• Administrator
    • Dog Tricks Video
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 09:46:27 PM »
Yes, and try suppressing that in a hospital!

Today a woman walked in and walked through much of the hospital, up to and around the 6th floor, with a puppy off leash!

The house keeping staff were afraid it wasn't potty trained, and it wasn't!

All the while I had to keep Muka in line else it would damage our reputation and the hospital's therapy dog program.

Muka did well, though I had to be very proactive to keep things that way.

Peter

Offline Deja

• Member since 2011
  • Grooming Student, Cleveland, OH
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 07:42:45 PM »
i have noticed they do more than just the standard barking. they actually talk with their barks, and i have been able to decipher the meaning of their different barks.

Very true! His "I gotta potty!" bark is much different than "Do you see that guy outside by your car?" bark which is also way different from a play bark!
Que, male B&S Mini, born 2/1/2011 - adopted 3/18/2011
True, female Border Collie Mix, born 6/7/2012 - adopted 10/19/2012

In memory: R.I.P. Mandy and Shadow

Offline Debby

• Member since 2012
  • Miami, FL
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2012, 08:00:22 AM »
When I told a friend I was getting a  :Schnauzer: he immediately said, "Oh, I don't like them very much -- they're barky, snappy little dogs"  (he has a Standard Poodle).  But Suki in fact rarely barks.  When we walk around the neighborhood, there are a gazillion dogs barking from behind the doors and windows of the houses we pass -- and I can assure you they're not  :Schnauzer: :Schnauzer:!  Big dogs, little dogs -- I live in a neighborhood with a lot of dogs!  Of all of them, Suki is actually one of the quietest.  As Mia has described with her Winston, when all the dogs start barking up and down the street, Suki just stands there listening.

The one thing that will cause her to bark, though, are squirrels.  This morning, she was out on the screened patio and a squirrel was taunting her from the trunk of a nearby coconut tree.  The squirrel was in fact making much more of a racket than Suki -- he was going on and on.  So Suki let him know just how lucky he was to be out of her range by barking right back at him.  They were having a real slagging match!  It was too cute and I wish I'd been able to videotape it....
Suki, female S&P Miniature Schnauzer, b. April 28, 2011

Offline Mary Ann

• Member since 2012
  • Oswego, NY
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2012, 06:51:47 PM »
I guess my Billy is pretty barky.  It always makes me laugh when a doorbell rings on TV and he starts,and  then the bird says "Whats the matter? " And he wil sit and look at my husband and he makes these rumble noises in his chest. I swear he is talking. You can almost hear words. No denying they are smart.
Billy, male S&P Miniature Schnauzer, 8 years old
Toddykins, male black Pom, 10 years old
Maggie, Chinese Crested Powderpuff, 9 years old

Offline Terri B

• Member since 2013
  • Long Island, NY
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2013, 05:49:08 AM »
My  :Schnauzer: :Schnauzer: had very distinctive barks, mostly at the window looking out. Squirrel bark and passing big dog bark were loudest.  Also, alerting if someone on property or car pulled in. Like that part

Would love Indi to be therapy dog. Time will tell.  I can check with our local hospital. Peter did you post it somewhere how you got yours listed as "medical?"   I can get companion dog certificate eventually.  My Willie was a great "Therapy Dog" at my mom's home. Never barked there. Just visited all the rooms that would let him in.
Independence Libre, female S&P Miniature Schnauzer, born July 3, 2013
CinderBella, female B&S Miniature Schnauzer, crossed over Rainbow Bridge 2010
Kaiser Wilhelm, male S&P Miniature Schnauzer, crossed over Rainbow Bridge 2009
Sasha, rescue Yorkie, crossed over Rainbow Bridge 1989

Offline Angie S

• Member since 2009
  • Gretna, LA
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2013, 09:01:51 PM »
I'm trying to teach Roux to not bark and to let people come tell her hi first. Other people aren't very cooperative with this though and will stop and pet her anyway. Evan if I say "no Roux, they come tell you hi, you don't tell them hi first" hinting to the humans of course. :wink:
LaRoux, female S&P Miniature Schnauzer, born April 14, 2013
Nessie, female S&P Miniature Schnauzer, August 15, 2009 to April 16, 2013 R.I.P.