Member Countries:                                        
MySchnauzer.net Celebrates Diversity! April 24, 2014, 04:22:24 AM
   Home   Help    Index Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How much does your Std. Schnauzer shed?  (Read 2948 times)
Andrea
Member since 2011

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

« on: January 28, 2012, 09:35:24 AM »

We just picked up our 8 month old Std Schnazuer today. On the way home she shed like crazy in the car!

I DID do my research and found they they don't usually shed much and that the amount would depend on the type of coat, how its maintained, and if the parents were large shedders. Based on these factors the dog shouldn't be shedding much. Could it be because it was stressed?

Simon, Miniature S&P, 5-years-old
Lucy, Standard P&S, 8 months
Peter
Started this 2008

Vancouver, WA

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 11:18:02 AM »

I wouldn't even reply since I have no experience with Standards, except to say that as a puppy Pukalu went through two phases where he shed cottony fur like crazy. Actually, he never shed it in the classic way I think of a dog shedding... I never found it on the carpet or his blankets or my clothes.

But he got tangles and mats like crazy, and I had to brush daily for sure to avoid a fully mated dog. And the brush would fill with this cottony fur.

So what I'm saying is that it could have to do with being a puppy. Have you asked the breeder?

Peter

Mukaluka Dirtypaws, male black Miniature Schnauzer, 11/09/07, 15-1/8", 17.5 lb (goal) [medical]
Pukalu, male S&P Miniature Schnauzer, 03/27/10, 15", 15.5 lb (goal) [medical]
Also: Peter, His Dogs and His Websites ~ Our Therapy Dog Work ~ Our Tricks Video at DogTricksVideo.com ~ Muka's Scrapbook
Seda
Member since 2011

Houston, TX

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 11:18:53 AM »

I don't know about standards but my mini sheds when she is stressed. The only time I see hair on my cloths is in the vet's office.

FeBee - Female, S&P, 04.01.2011
Andrea
Member since 2011

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 11:20:58 AM »

I haven't asked the breeder since we got her (we just got her today) but I did ask the breeder before we got her. The breeder said that her dogs don't shed much and it helps alot to keep up with coat maintenance, combing, brushing, etc.

I haven't yet decided how I will mantain the dog's coat ie stripping or clippin.

Andrea
Member since 2011

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 05:51:17 PM »

Hmmm. Could have been the scary car ride for her. Because today she hasn't shed much. Hubby has been wearing a dark coloured sweater and he doesn't see dog fur on it.

Andrea
Member since 2011

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 08:34:26 AM »

Cry I'm really starting to feel like I TOTALLY failed at doing my breed research with respect to Standards shedding. For the past two days since we got Lucy she goes through phases where I think "Oh she's not sheddding any more, not so bad" to "OMG, what have I done?? I see do gfur everywhere!"

I reallllly don't want a shedding dog. We got rid of a cat because I couldn't stand fur everywhere on the furniture, clothes, everywhere!

And now we might have a shedding dog that isn't supposed to shed?? I feel like THAT person that didn't do her research well enough! THing is, I read that Standards are not supposed to shed. My mother is allergic (and isn't affected by our Mini who doesn't shed at all) and she is our primary dog sitter. If our new pup continues to shed, it'll pose HUGE problems from everything to having to constantly pick up fur to not being able to hav emy mother over at our place to visit or have her dog sit the new pup.

Ugh. I'm upset over all this and dont' know what to think. My mom is in Florida until April so its not like we could put her near Lucy and see how she reacts and if its a disaster return her to the breeder.

Any words of wisom??

Janet NW
Member since 2011

Coastal Washington

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 08:39:30 AM »

You always research your prospective breed.  That saves problems in the future....But I never knew standards shed, I did my research though, before deciding on minis.....even they can be a handful at times....

Max: Black Miniature Schnauzer, 5 years old
Andrea
Member since 2011

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 08:50:09 AM »

My point is that I did do my research and found that Standards are not supposed to shed. So somwthing went wrong with my research.

Janet NW
Member since 2011

Coastal Washington

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 09:08:18 AM »

I had a friend in England who had them.....she had 2 at once, and for her at her age they were a handful...she tried to talk me into taking one should anything happen to her but I said know...with elderly people in and out here, he would have been too energenic, and a good jumper...I would have spent most of my time chasing him down the street, as he'd be over the fence.

She did say they did shed at times.....but I had forgotten until you mentioned it....

Max: Black Miniature Schnauzer, 5 years old
Peter
Started this 2008

Vancouver, WA

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 09:30:39 AM »

I'll send a note to our Standard breeder CarolAnn and see if she has anything to add.

Have your mother rub her face in your puppy and see! That's what I did before I got a mini.

(Or of course she can start in baby steps and work up to that, seeing if she reacts as she goes.)

Peter

Mukaluka Dirtypaws, male black Miniature Schnauzer, 11/09/07, 15-1/8", 17.5 lb (goal) [medical]
Pukalu, male S&P Miniature Schnauzer, 03/27/10, 15", 15.5 lb (goal) [medical]
Also: Peter, His Dogs and His Websites ~ Our Therapy Dog Work ~ Our Tricks Video at DogTricksVideo.com ~ Muka's Scrapbook
Andrea
Member since 2011

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 10:34:50 AM »

I'd love to hear from a Standard breeder, that would be great, thanks!

As I mentioned above my folks are in Florida until April and we live in Toronto so I can't expose the dog to my mother before April. We can only return the dog to the breeder in the first 30 days.

I really don't want to sound like the person who didn't do her research. I did! My research told me that this breed is not supposed to shed and that the small amounjt of fur it amy drops would not even be noticeable in the house. Well, its all I'm noticing right now :(

CarolAnn
Member since 2010

Standard Breeder, Cable, OH

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 05:38:07 PM »

Stds don't shed much at all.  If they do shed, it's puppy coat and a coat that has long been overdue for a grooming.  All you need to do is take a Furminator or better yet a blade from a Wahl Arco SE 5 in 1 fine...hold it in your hand and scrape it along the coat.  It will take out any hair that needs to come out.  Puppy coat does shed and also a blown coat does shed, but that's b/c someone hasn't been doing proper upkeep on the dog.  Your Mini would do the same.  If it has fur, it sheds to a point.  If a groomer clippers the coat then it's not so long...but the fur is there, it's just short.  You could then put the dog fur in a baggie and send it to your mother in FL.  I've done that with a lot of people who are checking to see if they're allergic.

CarolAnn Worsham
HiCotn Standard Schnauzers
Cable OH USA
www.hicotn.com
Andrea
Member since 2011

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2012, 05:42:04 PM »

Oh, that's a good idea with the baggie! lol. Though my mom said she is more allergic to dander than fur/hair.

I talked to a groomer today who said what you did. That the dog could be shedding bc its dropping its puppy coat OR because its coat has been left long (the hairs are about 3-4 inches). It could also be because she is stressed since we just got her OR could be a side effect of the Metronidazole.

Thanks for the advice! We are gonna take her in for a groom in a few weeks, once I know for sure she has cleared the Giardia.

Andrea
Member since 2011

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 10:58:24 AM »

We got Lucy groomed on Tuesday and she look so good! I didn't ask the groomer to hand strip her bc I didn't want to pay for it but the groomer chose to on her own bc Lucy had such a great coat and it turned out so well. And she said that Lucy was so well behaved which is a big relief. Unfortunately she is still shedding quite a bit.

Alaina
Member since 2010

Vancouver, WA

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2012, 06:53:21 PM »

Sorry, I just saw your post.  Gracie my standard, doesn't shed at all.

Alaina and the Girls:
Olivia - Black mini, 12 yrs., 11/30/2001, 15 lb
Gracie - S&P standard, 6 yrs., 09/03/2007, 32 lb
In memory:  Tilly - 1994 to 2007
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print