Author Topic: Problem with Autoimmune Disease - Hives, Red Welts on Belly  (Read 18845 times)

KEITH

Problem with Autoimmune Disease - Hives, Red Welts on Belly
« on: August 16, 2009, 02:25:45 PM »
Hello All,

Last year Jasper broke out in a kind of hive welts, raised red blotches all on his belly,and before we noticed them he had made some of them bleed with his teeth.

We took him to the vets who said it was an autoimmune problem, And was told in simple terms the bodies own immune system was over reacting to some thing in the environment or to something he had eaten, He gave him some tablets to lower his immune system and tablets to stop secondry infection.

We went through to try to think of any thing in his diet that had changed but only some mixture of treats we was not too sure about. but we thought it could not be that.
Also as it was now summer time and Jasper was out in the garden more and more we thought it could be a pollen problem?
Especially as most of them was on his belly, and he was laying down a lot on the lawn.

At the time the Vet told us he could not say if it was a permanant thing or a seasonal one, but after a short time around one week we started to see an improvment, and he has been free of them ever since.

That was untill yesterday and he has broken out in them again, this is around the same time as last year.  The red welts are all on his belly again , so we can only think it must be an allergy to say grass pollen, we are treating him this time with a antihistamine to see if it start to clear up, and have been putting iodine spray on the welts to try and stop any infection occurring.

We are watching the problem very closely, and if it looks to be getting worse I will have to take him back to the vets, the reason we are trying to treat it first with antihistmine, was the tablets he was given last year worked very well, but could cause a lot of side effects,
so we are trying a mild form of treatment first, and if not successful we will have to go for the vets way.

I will keep this topic updated, just in case any of you start to have the same problem as this one, and will let you know how it all works out.

Keith

Offline Peter

• Founder 2008
  • Pet Partners Instructor, Vancouver, WA
    • Dog Tricks Video
Re: Problem with Autoimmune Disease - Hives, Red Welts on Belly
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 06:29:26 PM »
So sorry for Jasper!

I'm sure you've considered trying just keeping him indoors for a couple days? And maybe just walking him on pavement or dirt or whatever but nothing he could be allergic to?

It's a clue that it's not all over his body. Makes you think it's something he's getting into. Though sometimes my ankles break out with a rash that acts/looks just like shingles (but it's not because there's no deep pain) and it's not from anything I've gotten into. And it just goes away.

Peter
Mukaluka Dirtypaws, male black Miniature Schnauzer, 11/09/07, 15-1/8", 17.5 lb (goal) [medical]
Pukalu, male S&P Miniature Schnauzer, 03/27/10, 15", 15.5 lb (goal) [medical]
Also: About Peter ~ Our Therapy Dog Work ~ Our Tricks Video ~ Muka's Scrapbook

KEITH

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 02:26:02 AM »
Hello All, just a quick up date on Jasper's welts (hives) we are treating with Benadryl, and front line , RE: Sarah in scratching. And we seem to be going the right way, as things are looking better.I will let you know how it all go's later on.

Thanks Keith

KEITH

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 02:24:04 PM »
Jasper seems to be on the mend at this time, getting a lot of flaky skin now, and not as red, more like brown patches now.will keep him on the tabs for a couple more days at least, and then see how he go's.

Thanks Keith

Offline Peter

• Founder 2008
    • Dog Tricks Video
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 04:05:59 PM »
They would more than puzzle me. Sounds awful.

Peter
Mukaluka Dirtypaws, male black Miniature Schnauzer, 11/09/07, 15-1/8", 17.5 lb (goal) [medical]

KEITH

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 04:07:26 PM »
Hello Benny Bear, That is the place Jasper has his , on his belly and arm pits,it must be the place they tend to come up in, Hope you get him sorted out soon, like I say Jasper now looks as if he is on the mend. Touch wood.

Keith

Offline Peter

• Founder 2008
    • Dog Tricks Video
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 08:03:32 AM »
Doesn't sound like an allergic reaction to me, and pustules are not listed as a symptom of an allergic reaction here:

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/dog-care/dog-care-allergies.html

Here's your Pyoderma (bacterial skin infection), but check out Pemphigus. Sounds more like it!

Peter

KEITH

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 09:00:21 AM »
Hello B,Bear , Yes this sounds different to Jaspers red welts, he's is larger and not like any sort of pimple that you are saying. I think you will have to wait to see your vet with him, Hope you get it sorted soon for him.

Keith

Offline Peter

• Founder 2008
    • Dog Tricks Video
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 05:59:20 PM »
Glad it's nothing more serious, but it's curious if that's the cause why it's only on one side.

Peter

KEITH

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 02:07:43 AM »
Glad you seem to have found out B,Bears problem, lets hope tabs do the job for him.

Keith

Offline Angie S

• Member since 2009
  • Gretna, LA
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2009, 06:34:03 AM »
I started a new post on this last night and that was what concerned me at first. Staph :o I'll have to take a picture and put it on here and so you can compare for me.
LaRoux, female S&P Miniature Schnauzer, born April 14, 2013
Nessie, female S&P Miniature Schnauzer, August 15, 2009 to April 16, 2013 R.I.P.