Author Topic: Your Schnauzer's Behavior When You Arrive Home  (Read 6607 times)

Offline Peter

• Founder 2008
  • Pet Partners Instructor, Vancouver, WA
    • Dog Tricks Video
Your Schnauzer's Behavior When You Arrive Home
« on: March 31, 2012, 11:37:06 AM »
My dogs have always remained very quiet when I arrive home. Don't make a peep.

But when I go to let them out, it's always been our most rambunctious, rough playtime. And I finally got tired of it. So I came up with an idea to stop it, and it's worked great!

I set up their circus stools (see our video) and when I let them out they both run and get up on their stools like the lions in a circus. Then I calmly give each a few treats, slowly so they can calm down.

It took about three days for a total transformation!

Peter
Mukaluka Dirtypaws, male black Miniature Schnauzer, 11/09/07, 15-1/8", 17.5 lb (goal) [medical]
Pukalu, male S&P Miniature Schnauzer, 03/27/10, 15", 15.5 lb (goal) [medical]
Also: About Peter ~ Our Therapy Dog Work ~ Our Tricks Video ~ Muka's Scrapbook

Offline KarenB

• Member since 2011
  • Greenwich, CT
Re: Your Schnauzer's Behavior When You Arrive Home
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 11:50:44 AM »
Do you mean the stools are by the door to go out, or like out in the yard?  Otto is enthusiastic when I return, but not batshit crazy or anything.  I've always made coming in a very low-key thing; I don't come in with a high pitched baby talk voice or get him all worked up.  I say hello to him and give him a head rub but don't really give him a lot of attention until I'm home for a bit and settled in.  25 years or so I had a little rescue dog that was an excitement peer. When I'd come in from work, if I even looked at him before getting him outside, he'd wet all over himself. I never want that again so I make coming home a non-issue.  Otto definitely gets wiggle-butt when he knows he's going out, but nothing too wild.  Sometimes it's hard to get his leash hooked because he won't be still but if I'm feeling short, I just tell him to sit. Sometimes he gets a little ahead of himself with excitement and goes through the door before I do, or before I tell him it's ok.  When he does that, he has to come back in and do a down on the threshold while I walk out to the main door and make him just wait, for maybe a minute or more.  That just kills him when he's dying to go out.
Otto RN, TDI, black MS, 13.5" & 14 lb, born 3-19-11

Offline Alaina

• Member since 2010
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 01:08:26 PM »
lol, that is great, Peter.  One area where I have been REALLY bad with the girls.  During the week, ,y husband gets home and feeds the girls before I get home.  When I arrive, Livie is barking wanting that all important tablespoon of pumpkin.  She won't be quiet until she gets it, so that's the first thing I do.  Gracie jumps all around me.  She doesn't jump on me, because I had a spray bottle at the door when she was young, so she learned not to jump on me.  I know I am bad.   :confused: :no:
Alaina and the Girls:
Olivia - Black mini, 12 yrs., 11/30/2001, 15 lb
Gracie - S&P standard, 6 yrs., 09/03/2007, 32 lb
In memory:  Tilly - 1994 to 2007

Offline Angela

• Member since 2010
  • Clermont, FL
    • Schnauzer & Spice
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 05:50:12 AM »
When I come in, Lotte waits until I get in the house, and then comes running up to me. She won't jump on me (99% of the time, every once in a blue moon she'll forget her manners), but she will follow me around until I crouch down and invite her over to say hi.
Lotte, 2 year old s&p mini DOB: 2/4/2010
My blog: Schnauzer & Spice

"A puppy is but a dog, plus high spirits, and minus common sense."
Any reading recommendations? Send them my way! Always on the lookout for more training books to read!

Offline Peter

• Founder 2008
    • Dog Tricks Video
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 01:57:03 PM »
Karen,

The stools are in the living room. Before letting them out of the pen and crate, I place them just so so in sight. (I'm teaching Pukalu always to sit on the right for our tricks show.)

Peter
Mukaluka Dirtypaws, male black Miniature Schnauzer, 11/09/07, 15-1/8", 17.5 lb (goal) [medical]

Offline James

• Member since 2010
  • Tecumseh, OK
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 05:25:28 AM »
This is where I failed puppy training because I always got excited to see them just like they did us and never corrected their behavior. Now King is terrible when we come home. He barks, A LOT! He has to put his mouth on my hand, and whines and whines. Now here's the worst part. If he was in the house alone when we come in king is a perfect angel. But if Joey or Anakin are inside it becomes a free for all. King is barking and Joey is bouncing around like a jumping bean all excited. But if Joey or Anni get close to either of us King goes kujo on them barking at them and growling and pushing at them with his chest which sometimes leads to Joey and King in a fighting mass of fur... :shocked:  :confused: So I would say their behavior when we come home is TERRIBLE... Only have myself to blame tho. Now how to correct it, that's something we are trying to figure out.
King James of Prewett - Salt & Pepper Mini 5yrs old 01-09-08
Joey - Black Mini 8 yrs old exact date of birth unknown

Offline KarenB

• Member since 2011
  • Greenwich, CT
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 05:31:58 AM »
So how are the stools solving your problem?  Is it that they have to sit on them and wait quietly before you take them out?  Couldn't you have just told them to sit, on the floor?

Offline Gerri

• Member since 2010
  • Essex, UK
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 06:39:54 AM »

I get a nose but and a hug when I arrive home!
Rufus - Giant born Feb 2010 (100lbs! - hopefully fully grown)
Blaze - Black Mini born Feb 2012
Albi - Black Mini born Sep 2010. Crossed over Rainbow Bridge April 2012 :(

Offline Janet NW

• Member since 2011
  • Coastal Washington
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 07:56:06 AM »
He greets me at the door, wagging  his tail....come to think of it, he never barks when I go inside...
Max: Black Miniature Schnauzer, 5 years old

Offline Peter

• Founder 2008
    • Dog Tricks Video
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 10:18:20 AM »
So how are the stools solving your problem?  Is it that they have to sit on them and wait quietly before you take them out?  Couldn't you have just told them to sit, on the floor?

Good question.

I guess it's like if you have a kindergarten class and you tell everyone to sit quietly in their place while you read them a book. They wiggle and squirm and eventually move around a bit and eventually you lose control.

But if they were each sitting in a chair, there wouldn't be so much wiggle room.

Each has learned to sit (somewhat) patiently on a stool while the other is doing tricks. It's their quiet time.

I tried for two years to get them to just sit on the floor after coming out, and I'd give them treats in the same manor. But it's just too easy for them to move a little, and the next thing you know Pukalu's jumping up.

Hard to explain, but there's just a big difference. Like the kids in their chairs.

Maybe because it's so black and white that they are on or off the stools. No wiggle room.

Peter

Offline KarenB

• Member since 2011
  • Greenwich, CT
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 10:27:19 AM »
It sounds like you just need to add a "stay" to your repertoire, then even if you don't have the stools with you, you can make them sit quietly.

Offline Debbie

• Member since 2009
  • Buckley, WA
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 12:27:23 PM »
Jetson goes totally ape-poo-poo when I come home, he stands at the window and jumps up and down on his hide legs and it sounds like he is saying "momma momma". When I get in the house I make him go get in his big chair in front of the living room window and we greet each other there while he is calming down.

When Glen comes home, Jetson just looks in his general direction.."oh hi".

When we both come in the house together Jetson about knocks Glen down to get to me.  :smiley:

Glen does a lot with Jetson, plays with him, takes him for walks every day and feeds him in the morning and sometimes dinner too, but Jetson is a Mammas Boy.

Yes I am bad, oh well!
The Dog is the God of Frolic
Jetson ~ Black and Silver Mini DOB: 8-28-2009
19.3 pounds

Offline Peter

• Founder 2008
    • Dog Tricks Video
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2012, 12:56:12 PM »
Mammas Boy. Took the words right out of my mouth!

Peter

Offline KristenH

• Member since 2010
  • Lubbock, TX
    • ELE Tutoring
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2012, 12:56:46 PM »
When Matthias was little he would paw the absolute crud out of his crate door when we came home.  It drove me crazy and I wanted him to just wait to be let out.  After all, once he was out of his crate the worst he did was wag his rear end so hard that he could barely walk and he didn't bark.  But pawing the crate just got on my nerves!!

We started coming home and walking right by the crate, ignoring him until he was quiet.  It was hard.  It took what seemed like forEVER for him to stop pawing the crate.  It was probably more like a month, but now he doesn't do it anymore.  At least, not very often.  Occasionally he'll half-heartedly paw the door and then it looks like he remembers that will get him ignored so he stops.

Peter - the stool idea is good.  Matthias takes the door at a run when he comes back in the house, so I started putting one of our office chairs in the middle of the room.  He could only take the door at a jog if he wanted to avoid hitting the chair.  I moved it ever so closer to the door each time until he had to calmly walk inside.  I also started closing the door just enough to allow him through so that I could eventually remove the chair.  He still runs through the yard to get to the door but he knows he can't fit unless he twists around the door frame so he slows down as he approaches the door and steps calmly through the door.  SO MUCH BETTER!  I was afraid to close the door until I got him to slow down because he really doesn't seem to care that he hits things.  He runs into walls and doors in the house when he's excited and not paying attention to where he's going, so I didn't think closing the door would do much without slowing him down first.
Matthias Varrick, P&S Standard, 02/16/10

Offline Deja

• Member since 2011
  • Grooming Student, Cleveland, OH
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2012, 02:04:26 PM »
When I first got Que, somewhere I read that in order for them to stay calm, you have to completely ignore them for 5 minutes when you come home. Apparently in wolf packs all the members are happy to see the Alpha when he returns, but the Alpha ignores them until they calm down. So I did it for a week and ever since then Que never makes a peep when I come in the house. He patiently waits for me to let him out the crate. But when I do he runs like crazy throughout the house! I would too if I was cooped up in there.

Leaving is another thing. I usually have to give him his food or a treat or some other distraction before I leave. If I don't, he will whine for about 2-4 minutes then go to sleep.
Que, male B&S Mini, born 2/1/2011 - adopted 3/18/2011
True, female Border Collie Mix, born 6/7/2012 - adopted 10/19/2012

In memory: R.I.P. Mandy and Shadow