Author Topic: Suggestions for new Puppy  (Read 4289 times)

Offline JeffOH

• Member since 2012
  • Proctorville, OH
Suggestions for new Puppy
« on: May 04, 2012, 03:38:59 PM »
Hello everyone. I am new here, and a new owner of a 9wk old female Miniature Schnauzer, named Edi.

This is not only my first Mini Schnauzer but my 1st puppy as well, so I do have tons of questions if any would be willing to help point me in the right direction. I feel as if Im a in a bit over my head at times.
I have had dogs in the past, but theyve always been adults by the time I got them.

At any count, I have 2 major issues Id like advice on.

1) Biting when Playing

Edi seems sweet for the most part, but she has started to play very rough and biting me.  At first nibbles, and Id say No firmly and distract her with a toy.
 But now, shes starting to get rough and bite very hard. I try scolding her, and she gets more excited and plays even more rough.  She does wag her tail, so I think 'she thinks" we are playing.

I did play tug of war with her as well, but have stopped doing that as Im afraid it may be provoking her to act this.   Also, if it matters, she oddly doesnt seem to act this way with others. Just me.

Whats the best course of action?  Ive been trying to hold her mouth shut and say 'No Bite" firmly.  I tell her twice, and the 3rd time, crate her for 5 minutes.  It seems to help a bit, but once she gets really excited she starts again.

I need to stop this behavior because much more and shell be drawing blood :(

2) Leash Training.
 Any advice here?  She does for the most part do well outside, and stays with me and as shes told when we go out to potty.  (Doing well with House training By the way, quite impressed)
 But on occasion, she just gets excited and runs ahead and Im scared shes going to run in the road and get hurt.
When I put her on a leash, she sits and refuses to move.  Sometimes just lays down and trys to chew on the leash.
 If I tell her no, Come On.  She looks at me and simply refuses.
What will make this go easier?

Sorry for such a long 1st post. These are 2 of my main concerns at the moment.  Am I just expecting to much of her too soon?

PS_
If it helps anything, I am disabled and therefore have 24/7 to spend with her.  She is currently using a crate and seems to like it, but its only used to sleep in for the night, or for naps.  Ive been using the command "Bedtime", and she goes in and goes to sleep, but only if I sit her in front of the crate and say the command.
Edi, female S&P Miniature Schnuazer, 9 weeks old

Offline Tiffani

• Member since 2010
  • Animal lover, Oxford, WI
Re: Suggestions for new Puppy
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 04:04:42 PM »
Welcome!

I also have a 9 week old little girl and oh can she be a handful! So I will be here going through the stages with you.

I don't have much for advice as what I do is hand her a toy to chew when shes nipping. I did find that the nylabone puppy teether is working wonders to keep her attention when shes feeling nippy.

What I do for the leash training is just let her drag it right now so she is getting used to it being there. Then I pick it up and tell her "lets go!" the second she walks with me on leash she gets a treat.

Good luck with little Edi, and don't worry the nippy stage doesn't last too long! We called our 2 year old and now our puppy, sharky.
My girls:
Maiya 05/08/10 S&P Mini 12.3lbs
Macy Mae 02/28/12 White Mini 11lbs
Morgan 06/22/08 2.6 lbs Chihuahua

Coming soon: Brandi Rose 08/07/14 German Shorthaired pointer

Karma Jo 02/19/13 Kitty
Kooper 12/31/13 Seal mink Desert Lynx (kitty)
The birds: Tuki, Fawkes, Aries(AKA Rudy), Talon, Maui, Serafina, Seeley, Sawyer, Jaxon, and Rampage

Offline James

• Member since 2010
  • Tecumseh, OK
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 04:30:22 PM »
Hi and welcome to the forums!

As for the biting / nipping that's a puppy thing and hopefully she will grow out of that. They bite and nip each other as pups when playing. You might try making a high pitched yip sound hen she does get her teeth in you. Usually that helps signal to them they are being too rough with each other. Also presenting a toy or actually puttin a toy in her mouth when she bites sometimes helps curb that habit.

Leash walking I have no suggestions. Both my boys are and always have been so eager to go where ever I go so they really never cared if they had a lead on them or not. The dragging idea sounds like a good idea tho.

Best of luck!!
King James of Prewett - Salt & Pepper Mini 5yrs old 01-09-08
Joey - Black Mini 8 yrs old exact date of birth unknown

Offline KarenB

• Member since 2011
  • Greenwich, CT
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 04:56:28 PM »
Congratulations on your new puppy!  I believe most of the work for the adult dog you want happens in the first 3-4 months.  My advice would be:

Biting - make it very clear this is not a game.  All puppies bite and she will continue to do so for a few more weeks, but, that doesn't make it ok and they can learn self control.  Some different things to try are screaming OUCH! really loud when she does it, the minute her mouth goes on you, shove your hand/arm into her mouth and stay with her a moment, gagging her, a two-finger smack across the nose with a firm "NO!" and always follow up but giving her an appropriate thing to chew on.

As for the leash, she's 9 weeks and can't be more than 4 or 5 pounds - she can't "refuse".  First, chewing on the leash is a no-no.  I would get down on her level and encourage her forward by pulling gently until she gives a little bit, then making a little fuss over her, then doing it again.  Hold the leash firm and she may set back against it, flip back and forth a bit and generally act like a little wild bronc, but the minute she puts slack in the leash, reward her.  It should take about 5-10 minutes before she gets the idea.  Make her do more and more each time.  Even after she has the hang of it, she'll likely test it again and again but as the saying goes, "if she wants to stay with her head, she'll follow".

Start now teaching her self-control, she isn't too young to learn.  Hold her firmly upside down in your arms (like a baby cradled) and do not let her go until she relaxes and quits struggling.  Never turn her loose when she struggles to get down - she must submit first.  Same thing when you're trying to do anything with her, from clipping her nails, to brushing her, to putting on her collar, hold her down until she stops struggling.  Nothing is negotiable. Make her either sit or down and stay before she can have her meals.  Let her drag a light line around the house so you can immediate correct her for no-nos (sniffing trash, admiring shoes, biting furniture, etc.) Teach her to stay now, teach her she can't run out open doors, she can't lick, she can't bark, all these things are much easier to nip in the bud in the early weeks than after it's become an established habit months down the road. Every day or two, stick your fingers in her ears, mess with her feet and nails, run the blow dryer and/or clippers over her, brush her out. And socialize and expose her to any and every thing you can think of. Everything you do, good and bad, is training the dog.  The work you put in now will pay you back 10 fold a year from now.

Now, where are the pictures?  That's a requirement you know!
Otto RN, TDI, black MS, 13.5" & 14 lb, born 3-19-11

Offline Melinda

• Member since 2011
  • Apex, NC
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 05:29:33 PM »
Welcome to the forum!  Karen's got great advice.  Her Otto is extremely well trained! 

I would definitely work on the leash training.  Heidi's about six months old, so we went thought this stage not long ago.  It only took a few weeks before she got really fast...she'll make it to the road before you know it.  Heidi and Otto went through the bunking bronco stage, but it didn't last long.  Treats really helped us encourage them to move.  Of course they both love their walks now!
Otto-S&P Mini, 3-13-10
Heidi-S&P Mini, 10-23-11

Offline JeffOH

• Member since 2012
  • Proctorville, OH
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 07:15:18 PM »
Thanks so much for all the advice!  I'll certainly start giving these suggestions a try tommorow. Just got her in bed for night :)

I have a LOT to learn apparently.  I have been putting her down if she struggles etc.
Sometimes, she will come when I call and even Sit when a say it.  But that seems to be a small window of focus with her, and then its "Oh, My Ball" and shes off :)  At that point she seems to ignore most everything. Except the occasional "Come here"
 Basically, she follows commands perfectly, but only when she wants to.

Brushing her, and cleaning her mouth off after she eats is a chore too :(  She struggles alot and has started to growl at me a bit once she wants down.
She want to attack the bruch and chew on it.

--Which by the way leads me to another question.

I have her On Blue Buffalo Puppy food.  She seems to love it, but I add a little warm watter to soften it up a bit.  
Ive tried to get her to eat it dry but she doesnt want to.  Should I be getting her on dry food now or wait a bit longer?  
She can eat something like a opiece of the Blue Buffalo Biscuits as a small treat on occasion, and those are crunchy so Im not sure its a matter of not being able to eat dry food. More like, she just prefers it softer which also makes a mess of her little beard.

Offline Peter

• Founder 2008
  • Pet Partners Instructor, Vancouver, WA
    • Dog Tricks Video
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 09:15:48 PM »
Oh, this is not fun. I read your post and have all these things to suggest and everyone beat me to it!

I have to laugh a bit about all your frustrations... it's a puppy! It's all typical.

Muka was much more reserved, but it sounds like you're describing Pukalu. He's over two and I'm still working on his not mouthing me during our rough play. But it's ONLY during our rough play and it's my fault for having allowed it. That's why Edi does it with you... because you've allowed it.

Every moment you allow a bad behavior is a moment of training your dog that the behavior is okay.

I agree about yelling OUCH! like another puppy would in play. With Muka it REALLY worked when I pretended to cry, but that doesn't work with all dogs.

I agree with nipping bad habits in the bud. As for her being fine off-leash but not on, I'd do ONLY on-leash till you have that worked out. Then maybe off leash for special times when it's safe.

I try scolding her, and she gets more excited and plays even more rough.

It's like when you yell at a puppy to stop barking. They don't understand English, right? So they just think you're joining in with the barking and get even louder!

I feed my dogs dry kibble on a washcloth. It keeps their saliva from forming a gravy which coats their beard. Dry only.

Welcome to the forum, and to fathering a SchnauzerGator! :chew:

Peter
Mukaluka Dirtypaws, male black Miniature Schnauzer, 11/09/07, 15-1/8", 17.5 lb (goal) [medical]
Pukalu, male S&P Miniature Schnauzer, 03/27/10, 15", 15.5 lb (goal) [medical]
Also: About Peter ~ Our Therapy Dog Work ~ Our Tricks Video ~ Muka's Scrapbook

Offline Debbie

• Member since 2009
  • Buckley, WA
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 06:49:06 AM »
She is adorable, looks like our dog when he was a puppy.

One of the most important things to teach a puppy is 'leave it' that command could even save her life if she is trying to eat something bad, didn't help us much, but that's another story!

But anyway.  Put a piece of food in front of her and put your hand over it so she can't get it and say "leave it", when she does leave it alone, quickly pick it up and give her another treat you had in your hand and give that for her reward. You never want to give her the treat you are telling her to leave. Substitue it with another. They catch on to this very fast. Schnauzers catch on to everything pretty darn fast you will find. When she learns that command it even works for when she is trying to chew on you.

Good luck and enjoy your puppy, they grow up way too fast!
I'm glad you and Edi joined the forum, you will get loads of useful info on here.
The Dog is the God of Frolic
Jetson ~ Black and Silver Mini DOB: 8-28-2009
19.3 pounds

Offline KarenB

• Member since 2011
  • Greenwich, CT
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 06:53:42 AM »
Here is a post I did on socialization with some good links:
http://www.myschnauzer.net/forums/index.php?topic=2946.0

I would also recommend a book called "Training Your Dog - the Step-by-Step Manual" by Joachim Volhard and Gail Tamases Fisher.
http://www.amazon.com/Training-Your-Dog-Step---Step/dp/087605775X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336229882&sr=8-1  It's a classic but one of the best ones out there IMO for explaining a tried and true method in a way that anyone can understand (read the reviews).
Otto RN, TDI, black MS, 13.5" & 14 lb, born 3-19-11

Offline JeffOH

• Member since 2012
  • Proctorville, OH
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 08:39:43 AM »
Again, thanks so much everyone!   Lots of great info here :)

Ive tried crading her and gettingher to submit, but she doesnt like it much. starts growling at me and struggles alot.  This morning she finally gave in and I just told her good girl and started to brush her hair.  She was OK for a while brushing her legs and belly, but then started to try and bite the brush again, especially once i turned her over to do her back.  Still went better than some previous tries.

The oddest thing happened this morining though.
As I mentioned, I have 24/7 to spend with her.  So for the past 2 weeks Ive had her,  Ive been taking her out after naps and meals, and praising her with "Good Girl, Good Potty" after she goes.
But I always take her, and after some play sessions I ask her if she needs to go, and she barks to let me know she does lately.

But this morning, I was making my coffe and after she ate she ran to the door and barked 3 times.  I took her out and she done her business (number 1 and 2)
Couple hours later she ran to the door and barked again, and sure enough needed to go :)
Telling me she has to go is a new thing for us.  Its usually me asking her and offering to take her.

I am am very happy with the house training. She has, at least IMO done a excellent job here.

Hopefully with the advice of everyone here I can correct some of my past mistakes and get on on a good track.  Not listening when called at times is another. But Im not sure if thats just her age or not at this point.

Offline Peter

• Founder 2008
    • Dog Tricks Video
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2012, 10:03:17 AM »
My dogs almost never indicate that they need to go out. I'm not really sure they know how. You're really lucky about that!

Jeff, are you completely mobile if that's the right word? Can you two go on walks and such?

Peter
Mukaluka Dirtypaws, male black Miniature Schnauzer, 11/09/07, 15-1/8", 17.5 lb (goal) [medical]

Offline JeffOH

• Member since 2012
  • Proctorville, OH
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2012, 11:36:21 AM »
Yes, I can can take her out for walks.

Im still trying to get her used to the leash though, and a bit afraid to go to far untill I get her a bit more under control. I did get her moving with it a bit once she realized we were leaving the yard but she got wild. Running ahead and every directioon just super excited.  But I suppose its a step in the right direction that she was walking with it.
Not to calm her more so she'll stay with me.

I know a lot of this may seem simple to many of you.  Its all new to me though!   And I know Im making mistakes.
I certainly do appreciate all the helpful & friendly advice.

Offline Peter

• Founder 2008
    • Dog Tricks Video
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2012, 07:15:52 PM »
It's not simple!

You just have to remember it takes time with a puppy.

Peter

Offline Tiffani

• Member since 2010
  • Animal lover, Oxford, WI
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2012, 07:44:48 PM »
That is great! Macy has only barked once to let me know she had to go and that was at 3 am.
My girls:
Maiya 05/08/10 S&P Mini 12.3lbs
Macy Mae 02/28/12 White Mini 11lbs
Morgan 06/22/08 2.6 lbs Chihuahua

Coming soon: Brandi Rose 08/07/14 German Shorthaired pointer

Karma Jo 02/19/13 Kitty
Kooper 12/31/13 Seal mink Desert Lynx (kitty)
The birds: Tuki, Fawkes, Aries(AKA Rudy), Talon, Maui, Serafina, Seeley, Sawyer, Jaxon, and Rampage

Offline JeffOH

• Member since 2012
  • Proctorville, OH
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2012, 07:46:06 AM »
So Ive been trying to cradle her on her back to calm her & get her to submit before brushing etc, and it seems to be making things worse.
I fear I have done or doing something bad wrong.

She really starts getting extremely hateful, and biting to hurt, not play.  Also, she tends to growl when picked up, even at me.  
This only started in the last few days (last 4 maybe?)  At first shed growl a little if someone picked her up she wasnt used to, but was OK with me.  Even on her back. thats all changing quickly though.
Yesterday, she even decided not to eat her evening meal. Not sure why, its a first and she loves her meals. But gobbled up breakfast this morning, and using the bathroom as she should be.

So Im curious about a couple things.
1st:  I have 24/7 with her.  I do sit in the floor and play with her a lot. Is it possible Im giving her too much attention and shes wanting more freedom to explore? Or even, to over-protective if that makes sense?
Should I avoid being down on her level playing alot?

2nd: is possible theres something wrong.  Perhaps it hurts her? I see nothing wrong, though she probably needs groomed. For example, she bites at her paws alot and does have a lot of hair between the pads.  But Im a bit afraid to try and cut it.
Im still having issues trying to brush her.   This morning She did submit (somewhat). She let me wipe her down (with Doggy wipes) and her little legs were relaxed, and even brush her to an extent.  But, shes always biting and will start trying for the brush. I can pacify her a bit bit giving her something to chew on while I do it.