Member Countries:                                        
MySchnauzer.net Celebrates Diversity! April 23, 2014, 09:07:02 PM
   Home   Help    Index Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Long or Short Beard?  (Read 2857 times)
Deja
Member since 2011

Grooming Student, Cleveland, OH

« on: December 22, 2012, 09:22:11 AM »

Que's been through all types of stages with his beard. Everytime he got it cut, it was TOTALLY my fault. I let him be a dog and I don't really fix his beard after his adventures. The first time he got it cut, I was heartbroken because I was so in love with it.

Right before he got his beard cut the first time, it looked like this:

The first time he got it cut, it looked like this:

When it grew back, it looked awesome! AND It only took about 2.5-3 months!

He got it cut yet again...and looked like this:

Now it's just a smidge longer than this, although it's been almost 4 months since he last got it cut. It's growing back very slowly...

I know some of you are sticklers about the fact that a beard is what makes a schnauzer a schnauzer, but honestly, I think the shorter beard is cuter on him and makes him look younger. Plus, way easier for someone like me that's on the move all the time and can't really brush it out all the time. I've also had people tell me that he looks less "grumpy" and they like it better. Opinions?

Que, male B&S Mini, born 2/1/2011 - adopted 3/18/2011
True, female Border Collie Mix, born 6/7/2012 - adopted 10/19/2012

In memory: R.I.P. Mandy and Shadow
Pat & Cliff
Member since 2011

Ferrisburgh, VT

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 09:40:54 AM »

He is beautiful no matter what and he's still a Schnauzer, beard or no beard.  The beard is distinctive of Schnauzer.  I know people like them and look for them on Schnauzers, but it is really only an outward decoration.  The last year or two of my Paisy's life was spent with no beard.  She hated grooming.  She hated having her beard touched.  She had lost teeth over the years and food fell out of her mouth and got tangled in her beard.  So we kept her shaved tight and I liked it.  She did too.  I thought she looked like a very unusual Jack Russel.  I think it's up to you and what works for you and him.

Thanks for being here, Pat and Her Boys:
One dog loving husband:  Cliff
Chester Field (motley mix) 10 yrs and counting
Go Mi Nam (aka Jeremy) 6/09/12  Male B&S Miniature Schnauzer
Go Mi Nyu (aka Gemma) Female B&S Miniature Schnauzer

Deja
Member since 2011

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 09:43:55 AM »

Here's some more pictures for comparison:

(Don't worry, he's just drugged up on vet meds in that picture!)

(And this is the most recent pic)

Doris

Lake Oswego, OR

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 11:36:30 AM »

A short beard looks good on Que.  He's handsome either way.  Personally, I like a longer beard.  If it were a hassle for me to keep him looking good with a long beard, I'd keep it short. 

Rudy: ms DOB e 8-5-07, rescued 8-5-11 - Our First Two Years with Rudy
Izzy: Cat dsh, tabby, DOB e 4-06, rescued 4-22-07
Tiffani
Member since 2010

Animal lover, Oxford, WI

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 11:46:27 AM »

I really love his beard long but he does look cute with it short too.

My girls:
Maiya 05/08/10 S&P Mini 12.3lbs
Macy Mae 02/28/12 White Mini 11lbs
Morgan 06/22/08 2.6 lbs Chihuahua
Karma Jo 02/19/13 Kitty
Kooper 12/31/13 Seal mink Desert Lynx (kitty)
The birds: Tuki, Fawkes, Aries(AKA Rudy), Talon, Maui, Serafina, Seeley, Jaxon, and Rampage
Peter
Started this 2008

Vancouver, WA

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 12:02:21 PM »

I think you've covered all the considerations and can best choose what's right for you.

I will say that I don't like no beard. It makes the dog look like a terrier, but not a Schnauzer. The beard is the Schnauzer.

However, it doesn't have to be as long as possible like I like them.

Peter

And what's wrong with looking like an old man?

Wink

Mukaluka Dirtypaws, male black Miniature Schnauzer, 11/09/07, 15-1/8", 17.5 lb (goal)[medical]
Pukalu, male S&P Miniature Schnauzer, 03/27/10, 15", 15.5 lb (goal) [medical]
Also: Peter, His Dogs and His Websites ~ Our Therapy Dog Work ~ Our Tricks Video at DogTricksVideo.com ~ Muka's Scrapbook
Kim L
Member since 2012

Texarkana, TX

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 01:52:08 PM »

He' pretty cute either way. But, I like the shorter beard better.
 Not a no beard. Longer beard more maintenance and I have a no maintenance less maintenance kind of style. I plan to keep  Maxx's puppy beard as long as possible before I have to decide how to groom him.
Kim

Sammy, male small Schnauzer/Poodle mix, born September 11, 2005
Maxx, male Giant Schnauzer, born September 23, 2012
Check out our website! Maxx and Sams Custom Dog Collars and More
Bob SD
Member since 2012

Black Hills of South Dakota

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 02:25:04 PM »

This a great topic, because every one just takes it for granted there is only one way a Schnauzers beard should be cut. I for one like it cut short, it is much easier to maintain and I like the short cut look. But my groomer cuts it in such a way they really look sharp. If you noticed in your dog's cut it has a rather round look, I do not care for that look, looks like a short hair dog's face. The way she cuts it, from the eyes out it is close, then as it reaches the nose, she lets it out an inch or so, even on the top just behind the nose. Gives our dogs kind of a bull dog look, it really looks cute to me. Easy to brush and keep clean. If I am able will add a picture of my male and give an idea of what I am trying to discribe!  BTW, I have short beard as well, lolo We all look alike!! Grin Merry Christmas

Schatzi, female Miniature Schnauzer, 11 years old and my sweetheart
Doc, male Miniature Schnauzer, 13 years old, R.I.P.
Deja
Member since 2011

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2012, 07:48:29 AM »

Bob, I like that beard! Looks "sporty". I wish I could see the front of his face. That would be a good length for me.

Debby
Member since 2012

Miami, FL

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2012, 09:58:47 AM »

I fell in love with the classic Schnauzer look so I like the longer beards.  But having just spent an hour combing out some very nasty mats from under Suki's front legs I have some sympathy for anyone who works and can't always find time to comb out a Schnauzer every single day.  They are a lot more high maintenance than I ever imagined.

I once went to a conference where a psychologist said that a baby looks at its mother's face to get a sense of itself, and it sees its image reflected in its mother's eyes.  If when you look at Que, you like the way he looks and you look at him with love and tenderness, Que is going to think he's the handsomest dog on earth.  If you look at him kind of critically, he may feel a little insecure.  So it's what YOU like and what fits best in your lifestyle that's important, for you and Que both.

I think Que is a darling dog, whether his beard is long or short. Heart  He has so much personality, it shines from his eyes.

Off to do last minute shopping.  Merry Christmas everyone!

Suki, female S&P Miniature Schnauzer, b. April 28, 2011
Gisele
Member since 2012

West des Moines, IA Foster Dog Parent

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2012, 10:36:32 AM »

It's a matter of preference the beard doesn't make the dog sort of thing. I love my beardies to have long long thick beards.  Your baby is so beautiful either way.

Gisele

Kokos (pronounced Koukos), Female S&P Miniature Schnauzer, born 3/7/2007 in Norway
Adopted 8/18/2012 - 17 lbs Natural ears and tail
Riley Male S&P Miniature Schnauzer born 10/7/2009
Fostered since 11/6/2012 - 15 lbs ears cropped and tail docked.
US Grand Champion Riley is no longer a foster.. he found his forever home with me :)
Bob SD
Member since 2012

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2012, 10:43:09 AM »

This is not quite front but should give you an idea?

Bob SD
Member since 2012

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2012, 10:52:54 AM »

being that Doc's ears are crop, may be why he looks good in this cut style, all the rest of his body is cut short except in winter time. This helps greatly in summer looking for ticks etc. On a side note, and of all places, every one at the vet just loves Doc and say he is one nicest and most cooperative patient. He is going to be 13 this coming May.

Anita
Member since 2011

Auckland, New Zealand

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2012, 12:17:01 PM »

I think he looks nice when his beard was half grown out so a trimmed medium length beard might be good and less likely to matt. Shaved down close makes him look more terrier like. A beard similar to "Doc's" trim or a little bit longer would suit Que I think. What you like best is whats important though.

"Rosie" - Black Miniature Schnauzer Born November 7th 2010
Gerri
Member since 2010

Essex, UK

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2012, 09:55:42 AM »

I like him in that second photo at the top! And his red jumper! If You're having trouble with it long, then there's no reason not to keep it shorter. I must admit I'm not keen on the really short shaved muzzle look.

Rufus - Giant born Feb 2010 (100lbs! - hopefully fully grown)
Blaze - Black Mini born Feb 2012
Albi - Black Mini born Sep 2010. Crossed over Rainbow Bridge April 2012 :(

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print