Author Topic: Ike My Mini Schnauzer Has Cancer  (Read 10157 times)

Offline Lynda

• Member since 2012
  • San Francisco, CA
Ike My Mini Schnauzer Has Cancer
« on: December 27, 2012, 04:38:35 PM »
I have a beautiful, sweet, funny and very loving 12-year-old male Miniature Schnauzer named Ike who means the world to me and just yesterday, I found out that he has anal sac adenocarcinoma. He was at the vet for a routine checkup when a small tumor was found. The prognosis is not good for this type of cancer. I've always thought that I wouldn't put a dog through surgery, radiation and chemotherapy because it's not like you can explain to them why you're putting them through pain, but this is the first time I've had a dog with cancer. We are going to run a couple of more tests to see if the cancer has spread before deciding what to do.

I'm reaching out to other Schnauzer lovers because I'm devastated by the news. I've had some very special dogs in my life, including another Schnauzer, but Ike is the most loving dog I've ever known and he is extremely attached to me and me to him. I can't really imagine life without him. I know that dogs don't live that long but I was hoping to have him for at least 15 years and to know that he's facing so much pain with cancer breaks my heart. I'm giving him as much love and attention as possible. He doesn't seem sick at all yet and I dread the changes he'll be going through. To add to everything we'll be going through with Ike, we have a 16-year-old female Yorkie who is almost blind and has her own health issues to deal with. I'm afraid I might lose them both in one year.

Ike has seen me through some rough times and before I had him I used to have a lot of nightmares but I always say that he guards my dreams as I sleep at night because I very rarely have nightmares anymore with him in the room with me. He's a extremely special little dog and still like a puppy.

When we went to look at him before we decided to get him, my husband had wanted a Schnauzer and I was leaning toward a Pug. We were going to see a 12-week old Schnauzer first and then the 8-week old Pug. My husband was holding him and I noticed that he was looking up at my husband with lots of love in his face and then I looked at my husband's face and saw the same look. I thought to myself, "I'm never going to see that 8-week old Pug" - and sure enough, I didn't, and we took Ike home that night.
Addy, Schnauzer Mix, Rescue - Born around January 2014.
Ike, male S&P Miniature Schnauzer, R.I.P. July 18, 2000 - June 21, 2014

Offline Jim C

• Member since 2011
  • New Orleans, LA
Re: Ike My Mini Schnauzer Has Cancer
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 05:33:40 PM »
Lynda welcome to Ike and yourself. As many of the Schnauzer owners on this site I was drawn here by the loss of a much loved Schnauzer. I can truly say that this site helped me thru some very tough times. Many of the owners here have dealt with and are dealing with Schnauzers who have medical conditions. I really do not think you will find a more supportive group.

BTW Ike is a very handsome fellow, lets see some more pictures of your boy in the Schnauzer Spotlight.

Jim
Blitz, chocolate, and Wolfgang, light liver and tan, Miniature Schnauzer brothers born 10-28-2011
:Schnauzer: Excuse my Typos I type with a Schnauzer in my lap. :Schnauzer:

Offline Tom KB

• Member since 2012
  • Nashville, TN
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 06:23:54 PM »
So sorry to hear this about you and Ike. We lost our sweet, sweet companion of fifteen years just after Thanksgiving of '11. We were fortunate, though, in that she relieved us of the decision to put her down. She just laid down for a morning nap and never woke up again. The story I tell myself is that she knew we just couldn't bear to make that decision, so she chose to do it in her own way. Who knows. Glad you're here. And I agree with Jim that we'd all love to see more pictures of Ike.
Bella, female, B&S Giant Schnauzer, born January 11, 2012

Offline Peter

• Founder 2008
  • Pet Partners Instructor, Vancouver, WA
    • Dog Tricks Video
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 06:27:18 PM »
What a sweet story you tell. Wishing you all the best,

Peter
Mukaluka Dirtypaws, male black Miniature Schnauzer, 11/09/07, 15-1/8", 17.5 lb (goal) [medical]
Pukalu, male S&P Miniature Schnauzer, 03/27/10, 15", 15.5 lb (goal) [medical]
Also: About Peter ~ Our Therapy Dog Work ~ Our Tricks Video ~ Muka's Scrapbook

Offline Valerie

• Member since 2011
  • Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 06:41:31 PM »
Like Jim said, i was drawn to this site 2 days after i lost my dear Pullup. I can truly understand what your going through, and i really feel for you  :heart:

This is a though decision! You want the best for your baby. You have to research the good and the bad about chimo. I never had to do chimo with my dog but i heard story about it.

Is there a good chance of healing with surgery, chimo? You have to take a decision for the well being of your dog and not yours. This is where it gets tricky.

What did your vet said? Did you talk about it?

You are at the right place to ask question and talk about it! Please let us know more about what your vey said for Ike's condition!
Sushi, Miniature Schnauzer, born August 26, 2011
In memory:  Pullup, silver Miniature Schnauzer, 12 years and dearly missed

Offline Lenora

• Member since 2012
  • Pensacola, FL
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 06:54:58 PM »
Lynda,
I am so glad that you and Ike have joined us.  Ike has the most wonderful expression in his picture. I am so sorry he is ill.  Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your husband and Ike. Focus on how blessed you have been to have him in your lives.  Enjoy the good times you have to come and keep him as comfortable as possible and feeling loved during the hard times ahead.  Be strong for him and may God bless you with wisdom as you make decisions for his care.  We are here for you  :heart:
Heidi, female B&S Miniature Schnauzer, born May 14, 2012

Offline Elizabeth E

• Member since 2012
  • North Dakota
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 09:46:36 PM »
Hi Lynda,

I'm new to the forum as well and I joined after losing my 12 year old Sam in August.  As I read your post all I could think of was, 'would a second opinion be worthwhile?'  Is there any chance that he's been misdiagnosed?  I pray that could be the case.  This forum, and it's members, are incredible.  I'm glad you are here.  Keep us posted....there's much support in this diverse group of tremendous people.  Take care.  Ike is adorable, btw.
Sam, male B&S Miniature Schnauzer: 5/3/00 - 8/12/12 (Miss you lots, my boy.)
Rudy, male S&P Miniature Schnauzer: Born 9/15/12 arrived home 12/1/12 (My 2nd Canadian Import!)

Offline Lynda

• Member since 2012
  • San Francisco, CA
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 10:00:14 PM »
Thanks everyone. Since we just found out yesterday, we're going to do more tests to see where the cancer is located other than the tumor and then we'll start making any decisions for him. I lost another dog at 11 so I'm glad that at least I've already had Ike longer than that. Every day is precious with these little creatures. I put a couple more pictures of Ike on the Schnauzer Spotlight if you'd like to see him. He's quite the character and always makes me laugh. He and his Yorkie sister love the beach -- but really, he's just always been happy to go along anywhere we took him.
Addy, Schnauzer Mix, Rescue - Born around January 2014.
Ike, male S&P Miniature Schnauzer, R.I.P. July 18, 2000 - June 21, 2014

Offline Tiffani

• Member since 2010
  • Animal lover, Oxford, WI
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 08:36:51 AM »
I wish the best for you and Ike. Cancer is so tough, I wish that nobody had to go through it.
My girls:
Maiya 05/08/10 S&P Mini 12.3lbs
Macy Mae 02/28/12 White Mini 11lbs
Morgan 06/22/08 2.6 lbs Chihuahua

Coming soon: Brandi Rose 08/07/14 German Shorthaired pointer

Karma Jo 02/19/13 Kitty
Kooper 12/31/13 Seal mink Desert Lynx (kitty)
The birds: Tuki, Fawkes, Aries(AKA Rudy), Talon, Maui, Serafina, Seeley, Sawyer, Jaxon, and Rampage

Offline Gerri

• Member since 2010
  • Essex, UK
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 09:41:25 AM »

We lost our young Mini at the beginning of the year, but I can't imagine what you are going through at the thought of losing your long standing companion.

Sending good wishes and hugs
Rufus - Giant born Feb 2010 (100lbs! - hopefully fully grown)
Blaze - Black Mini born Feb 2012
Albi - Black Mini born Sep 2010. Crossed over Rainbow Bridge April 2012 :(

Offline Alaina

• Member since 2010
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2012, 10:29:17 AM »
Welcome to the forum.  I'm so sorry to hear about Ike's illness an so sorry that you will have to make some very hard decisions about your very special little guy.  Just know that there are a lot of us that have gone through similar situations and so we can relate.  Hoping that you get good results back from the tests.   Sending prayers and positive thoughts your way.   :heart:
Alaina and the Girls:
Olivia - Black mini, 12 yrs., 11/30/2001, 15 lb
Gracie - S&P standard, 6 yrs., 09/03/2007, 32 lb
In memory:  Tilly - 1994 to 2007

Offline Debby

• Member since 2012
  • Miami, FL
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 12:24:38 PM »
Welcome, Lynda.  So sorry to hear that you've just gotten such distressing news.  My heart truly goes out to you.   I think you'll find that you'll be able to get a lot of comfort and support from other forum members who have been through similar situations.  Keep us posted.
Suki, female S&P Miniature Schnauzer, b. April 28, 2011

Offline Antonia

• Member since 2012
  • Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2012, 02:24:20 PM »
Hello Lynda and Ike...

Reading your story brought tears to my eyes. It is a very sad thing to feel you are losing something so precious as Ike obviously is. While Bailey Schnauzer and I can't help the processs you are going through, we are keeping paws and fingers crossed, and sending our very best wishes that all will be better than expected.
Bailey, Miniature Schnauzer, 4 years old

Offline Sara H

• Member since 2012
  • Milwaukee, WI
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2013, 03:08:50 PM »
Welcome Lynda and Ike,  please keep us posted on your situation! Many thoughts and prayers headed your way for this difficult time.
"My little dog -- a heartbeat at my feet." -- Edith Wharton
Echo, female S&P Miniature Schnauzer, born February 14, 2003

Offline Gisele

• Member since 2012
  • West des Moines, IA Foster Dog Parent
    • Dawggie Bows
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2013, 09:32:57 AM »
Lynda welcome to the forum, your story brought tears to my eyes I was there 6 months ago...it's the worst feeling in the world. I had my little Raskale operated to remove her cancer no chimo but it came back 6 months later.  I had a gut feeling that it would, spent a lot of time loving her and spoil her more than she already was although I knew the end was near and prepared myself mentally that she wouldn't be with us for much longer. She was her spunky self until the end I just crumbled when we decided it was time.

Enjoy Ike for the time he has left try not to think about what is coming ahead.  I give you both big big hugs and send you positive thought  :heart: :heart:

Gisele
Kokos (pronounced Koukos), Female S&P Miniature Schnauzer, born 3/7/2007 in Norway
Adopted 8/18/2012 - 17 lbs Natural ears and tail
Riley Male S&P Miniature Schnauzer born 10/7/2009
Fostered since 11/6/2012 - 15 lbs ears cropped and tail docked.
US Grand Champion Riley is no longer a foster.. he found his forever home with me :)