Author Topic: How much does your Miniature Schnauzer weigh?  (Read 28340 times)

Offline Saoni

• Member since 2011
  • Bayamon, Puerto Rico
Re: How much does your Miniature Schnauzer weigh?
« Reply #90 on: June 28, 2011, 07:33:54 PM »
Yes Seda! How cool is that!!   :grin: It will definitively be a great thing to watch them grow together. I think Bruno is gaining a pound every day  :shocked:

Febee is a cutie! Maybe we can post a photo of them every 1st of month to see how they are growing.  :schnauzer:
Bruno, male black Miniature Schnauzer with a white glove, born April 1, 2011
Scrapbook:  Bruno through the Weeks
Blake, male black mix, circa May 2013 (Thinks humans exist only to cuddle him.)

Offline Seda

• Member since 2011
  • Houston, TX
« Reply #91 on: June 29, 2011, 05:12:12 AM »
Maybe we can post a photo of them every 1st of month to see how they are growing.  :schnauzer:
Great idea.
FeBee - Female, S&P, 04.01.2011

Offline Kelly B

• Member since 2011
  • Surrey, British Columbia, Canada
« Reply #92 on: June 29, 2011, 06:40:51 PM »
Maybe we can post a photo of them every 1st of month to see how they are growing.  :schnauzer:

I did a neat thing with Jedi (another forum member's idea) - I took a picture of him every week in the same place so I could compare how big he was getting. I took the pics on my brick fireplace so I can see how "many bricks" tall he is. It's really fun to look back and have something to measure just how small he was! Now I take a pic every month in the same spot (always the same position too) because he's not changing so quickly anymore.
Jedi: S&P Parti mini born: 1/23/11  1.5yrs, 16.5lbs
Mercy (Mercedes): B&S mini born: 05/26/12 8.4 lbs
Scrapbooks:  Jedi\'s Picture Album and Comparison Pics
My Facebook Food Blog

Offline Saoni

• Member since 2011
  • Bayamon, Puerto Rico
« Reply #93 on: June 29, 2011, 07:12:28 PM »
I saw those pictures of Jedi and thought that was a great idea and wonderful pictures to keep forever. I just need to find a place here where I can really measure how much he is growing. Here all I have are walls without any distinctive pattern. Maybe I can draw something in one of the family room walls  :angel: I know my mom wont mind, hehe

Offline Kelly B

• Member since 2011
« Reply #94 on: June 30, 2011, 10:05:03 PM »
I just need to find a place here where I can really measure how much he is growing. Here all I have are walls without any distinctive pattern. Maybe I can draw something in one of the family room walls  :angel: I know my mom wont mind, hehe

You could always use a stack of books - same books every time... you mother might like that better than drawing on the walls! Hahaha
My Facebook Food Blog

Offline KarenB

• Member since 2011
  • Greenwich, CT
« Reply #95 on: July 03, 2011, 08:17:14 AM »
I think Otto's really going to be a little shrimp!  He is 15 weeks old today and he still hasn't hit 8 lbs!  He goes to the vet next weekend so I'm interested to hear what she says about his weight.  He appears very healthy and energetic, eats well, and he doesn't seem skinny - he actually feels pretty solid.  I can feel his ribs but not excessively and behind his ribcage he seems pretty filled in, not at all "waspy" and he's not bony over his topline.  He's just small and compact. Someone was holding him yesterday and said "come up here you little chunk" so I don't think others perceive him as underweight.  Didn't someone say the growth slows down considerably by 16 weeks and by 6 months they are almost full grown (if they aren't fixed)?  I don't mind him being a tiny dog, I guess I'm just a little concerned seeing how small he is compared to the other pups.  I just want to make sure he's getting enough to eat!
Otto RN, TDI, black MS, 13.5" & 14 lb, born 3-19-11

Offline Seda

• Member since 2011
  • Houston, TX
« Reply #96 on: July 04, 2011, 06:26:52 AM »
FeBee is tiny. I don't trust the big scale at Banfield (it might be good for large dogs where couple ounces don't make a difference but when you weigh a tiny dog every ounce counts) so I consider her true weight to be the one on my home scale. At 13 weeks, she is exactly 3 kg. or 6 lbs 10 ounces. Her parents are in 15-18 pounds range. She does not seem to eat much, may be 1/2 cup a day. Actually, now that I am trying to switch to Blue Wilderness Puppy from Puppy Chow which what she was on per breeder, she is eating even less. If I just put the food in her bowl  and walk away, she takes couple bites and goes back to play. I try to turn it into a game by placing 5-6 kibbles under a clear plastic bowl. She pushes the plastic bowl around on the kitchen floor and then eats the kibbles when she finds away to get them out. Or I fill up her kong with kibbles and let her roll it around and eat the kibbles spilling out. She has no problem eating her treats or carrots or peanut butter though. My daughter was a finicky eater when she was a baby and I was always worried about her. I guess it is me.  :sad:

Offline Kelly B

• Member since 2011
« Reply #97 on: July 04, 2011, 06:41:28 AM »
Seda - it's not you... it's schnauzers!  :smiley:  They are picky eaters by nature. I've been warned by my vet several times already about this, but I know from experience with my inlaws minis - both incredibly picky eaters.

Both my kids were beyond picky eaters (they actually both had something called "fail to thrive" and completely stopped eating altogether) so I know your feeling. When Jedi stopped eating a couple weeks ago, I thought, oh great, here we go again! What am I doing that makes my "children" (even the furry one) decide to stop eating? For Jed it must have been pain from teething making it hard to eat the hard kibble. So I started adding a little water to his kibble and letting it soften and he was instantly scarfing it down. So he was hungry, but seemed to not be able to stand the hard kibble on his sore teeth/gums. This might be worth a try for Feebee. I still have to add water sometimes when he seems to be teething bad. What I do is soften his food for a day, the next day, offer it dry - sometimes he eats it sometimes he still walks away. If he walks away I soften it again and the next day add less water, so it's not quite soft, but not completely hard either. Then he seems to adjust back to it being hard. It's about once every week that I need to soften his food right now. Teething is almost done - thank goodness!
My Facebook Food Blog

Offline Saoni

• Member since 2011
  • Bayamon, Puerto Rico
« Reply #98 on: July 04, 2011, 07:58:33 AM »
Seda, Bruno was the same I changed him from Proplan Selects to Blue Buffalo for puppies and the first week he wasn't too impressed with the new food but after that I had to stop him from jumping when I was about to put his bowl down.
Although now he is eating just white rice and boiled chicken because of his soft stool but the diarrhea wasn't cause by the change of food because that was done a month ago.

Kelly, when Jedi began teething? I have catch Bruno trying to chew on the furniture this last couple of days. But I don't think he is in the teething period yet.

About the pile of books...well I tried that and he kept trying to bite them all!  :no: So I keep looking for places to take his monthly picture. Anyways I need to find my camera first because the photos from the iphone are low quality. I will do a proper search for both things today and promise a photo of Bruno for tomorrow, he had his second "haircut" a couple of days ago.

Offline Seda

• Member since 2011
  • Houston, TX
« Reply #99 on: July 04, 2011, 08:10:14 AM »
Kelly-thank you so much for the idea of adding water. I was also thinking that it might be the amount of treats she gets during the day. Her tiny stomach might be filling up quickly with treats. So I decided to conduct my little controlled experiment (haha, I have a degree in chemical engineering although I teach middle school now, so I tend to approach everything scientifically  :wink:)  I will cut down the treats for couple days and if there is no increase in her kibble consumption I will soften them with water to see if teething is the source of problem.  

Offline Kelly B

• Member since 2011
« Reply #100 on: July 04, 2011, 10:22:05 AM »
So I decided to conduct my little controlled experiment (haha, I have a degree in chemical engineering although I teach middle school now, so I tend to approach everything scientifically  :wink:)  I will cut down the treats for couple days and if there is no increase in her kibble consumption I will soften them with water to see if teething is the source of problem.   

That is a good idea. I also did that with jedi first, thiking maybe he was getting picky because of the yummy treats he was getting during training. So I stopped all treats for a couple days (maybe 3? Can't remember) but he still wouldn't eat that was when someone on the forum suggested softening the food.

Kelly, when Jedi began teething? I have catch Bruno trying to chew on the furniture this last couple of days. But I don't think he is in the teething period yet.

I can't really remember. I don't think it was too very long after we brought him home. I first thought he was teething when the amount he was gnawing on his bully stick went way up - he was chewing on that thing all day long. But then about a month ago (?? again not too sure) which would've made him 4 months old we noticed baby teeth missing in his mouth and found one on the floor. From time to time, I find one of his toys with blood on it - so I check his mouth and there's a spot wher he's just lost a tooth.
My Facebook Food Blog

Offline Robert

• Member since 2009
  • Manchester, NH
« Reply #101 on: July 05, 2011, 07:37:51 PM »
Abby is now two and a half years old and weighs a solid 20 pounds :smiley: Pretty much the same as she was a year ago...Just a real solid, healthy, happy little girl!

Offline KarenB

• Member since 2011
  • Greenwich, CT
« Reply #102 on: July 09, 2011, 10:07:06 AM »
Otto finally broke 8 lbs!  He had his vet appointment today.  He's exactly 16 weeks and weighed 8 lbs 5 oz.  The vet said his weight was perfect and in proportion to his size.  He's not at all skinny she said and nothing to worry about.
Otto RN, TDI, black MS, 13.5" & 14 lb, born 3-19-11

Offline Saoni

• Member since 2011
  • Bayamon, Puerto Rico
« Reply #103 on: July 09, 2011, 03:36:04 PM »
I think Bruno's food has some super growth recipe inside, he is 9.5 lbs and just 13 weeks old, height is 11 inches. This is how my sister will laugh,

Offline Saoni

• Member since 2011
  • Bayamon, Puerto Rico
« Reply #104 on: July 09, 2011, 05:20:12 PM »
Me again...what if I have a standard schnauzer? Then I have to change my signature! :shocked: and Bruno's album too! hehe