Shop Amazon here and support Columbia River Pet Partners!

Author Topic: How much does your Miniature Schnauzer weigh?  (Read 29953 times)

Offline Kelly

• Member since 2009
  • Winchester, KY
Re: How much does your Miniature Schnauzer weigh?
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2009, 08:01:25 AM »
My Avery weight ranges between 20, and 23 lbs.

Offline KC

• Member since 2009
  • Patchogue, NY
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2009, 02:10:44 PM »
Well, now I am rather concerned...I hope Kovu isn't too skinny. We just got back from the Vet, and he weighs 14.4 pounds. He's a year old... the vet told us that he is in perfect body condition... maybe he's just athletic? His food is left out 24/7, he eats when he is hungry, and he never ever had a problem with that. We do, however, have a lot of exercise... mommy and daddy are both very active, and he thrives on it!

(Edit) Nevermind, aren't I silly. I didn't read that someone's beautiful baby is actually smaller than Ko! I guess I just reacted like any over protective parent would and jumped the gun a bit. My apologies!
See Introducing Kovu
Proud Army Wife

Offline Josee

• Member since 2009
  • Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2009, 09:24:33 AM »
Hi everyone!

I'm new here... my little girl (Cashie) is 12 weeks old and she was the runt of her litter (of 6).  When she was born she weighed 7 ounces (although another one of her siblings weighed 6 ounces), but we think she may have had a hard time feeding off of her mom and might have gotten pushed out of the way.
We took her to our vet the day after we got her (at 8 weeks old) and she weighed 3.45 lbs.  Two weeks later, when we took her to get her second set of vaccines, she weighed 4.07 lbs.  We're not due to be back at the vet's for another two weeks, but I think she may have hit the 5 lbs mark (if not, she's close to it).

Now here's the thing... I met one of Cashie's siblings yesterday (his owners live in the same area as I do, quite the coincidence considering the breeder is 4 hours away!), and he currently weighs 7.5 lbs.  I'm concerned that my little girl is too little... she and her brother didn't look alike at all (she's so small in comparison!).  The vet says she's healthy and she's been eating and drinking well every day... we do play with her a lot and make sure she gets a good amount of exercise... I'm just hoping she'll hit the 10 or 11 lbs mark eventually!  What is the average age of a full-grown miniature schnauzer?

Thanks for your comments!

Josee

P.S. The picture is of Cashie from 2 weeks ago... :)
Cashie - 2 year old female mini, S&P (30/08/2009)

Offline Debbie

• Member since 2009
  • Buckley, WA
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2009, 09:49:18 AM »
OMG she is beyond adorable. Our little guy is pretty small I think too. At 10 weeks he weighed 5 pounds.

I think if the Vet says she is healthy, try not to worry about her.

Normal adult weight is 14-18 pounds, I think. I could be wrong, I am a new Mini Schnauzer owner myself.
Welcome to the best Schnauzer forum on the net!

Deb
The Dog is the God of Frolic
Jetson ~ Black and Silver Mini DOB: 8-28-2009
19.3 pounds

Online Peter

• Administrator
  • Pet Partners Instructor, Vancouver, WA
    • Dog Tricks Video
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2009, 10:02:13 AM »
So cute!

I'll ask Roz or Janie, our breeder members, if they can comment on weight. But with two children and seven grandchildren, I know they can vary! LOL

Peter

P.S.

I don't want to spoil the fun of his sharing his own story, but we have a new member who got a Mini puppy and it just kept growing. Turned out to be a Standard!
Mukaluka Dirtypaws, male black Miniature Schnauzer, 11/09/07, 15-1/8", 17.0 lb (goal) [medical]
Pukalu, male S&P Miniature Schnauzer, 03/27/10, 15", 15.5 lb (goal) [medical]
Also: About Peter ~ Our Therapy Dog Work ~ Our Tricks Video ~ Muka's Scrapbook

Offline Angie S

• Member since 2009
  • Gretna, LA
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2009, 10:11:43 AM »
Josee, I don't know how much Nessie weighs right now. She turned 13 weeks this past Saturday. But her last visit she was just at 5lb. That was just 2 1/2 weeks ago. She goes back tomorrow for the remainder of her vaccines, but I'm thinking you have nothing to worry about. :)

I'll let you guys know tomorrow what her new weight is!! I can't wait to find out!!!  ;D
LaRoux, female S&P Miniature Schnauzer, born April 14, 2013
Nessie, female S&P Miniature Schnauzer, August 15, 2009 to April 16, 2013 R.I.P.

Offline Janie

• Member since 2009
  • Mini Breeder, Damascus, OR
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2009, 11:49:00 AM »
Gretchen is 9 wks today and she weighs about 4 lbs and was defiantly the runt when whelped and weighed 3.8 oz so she has caught up a bit.  Getting a bit leggy and her white eyebrows are finally coming in.  Peter the boy now at 9 wks is 5.8 lbs so she caught almost up.  Eats and runs and runs the household almost as well as momma Sabrina.  Janie

Offline Roz

• Member since 2008
  • Mini Breeder and Rescue Operator, Woodland, WA
    • MapleCreek Miniature Schnauzer Rescue
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2009, 12:23:41 PM »
Please stop comparing your dogs weights.  It is all relative to size.  If you have a 14" Mini, measured at the top of the shoulder blades, he/she should have a healthy weight of approximately 15-17#'s give or take.  A heavily boned dog will weigh more at the same size than one who is lighter in bone mass.  If you have a 12" Mini the weight range obviously would be lighter, maybe around 12-14#'s.  The smaller the dog the lighter the healthy weight.  Bones structure and bone density also plays a factor in a healthy weight.  If you have a 12" Mini who weighs over 14#'s it is probably overweight.  If you take your dogs in for vet check ups periodically and they say your dog is at a healthy weight and your dog is acting like its healthy don't worry. 

Josee, I would not personally be getting so many shots that close together.  My vaccine protocol is: a DHPP shot at 8 weeks, another at 12 weeks, maybe another at 16 weeks and then no more until one year after the last shot.  Rabies is never given before 6 months of age and the only DHPP shot I use is the Intervet Puppy shot, Progard 5, and I only use 3/4 of a cc.  Don't forget that they give the exact same dosage to the giant breeds.  I never give a puppy a shot with anything other than the ingredients in the shot I use but then again we do not have evidence of Lyme disease or some of the other diseases that are prevalent in other parts of the states or world.  Kennel cough is an air born disease, so unless you are taking the puppy into places where he/she will be in close contact with other dogs usch as a doggie day care or commercial groomer in my humble opinion there is no need to get the Bordatella vaccine.  After the ist annual booster your dog will not need another DHPP shot until it is 4 years old and then once every 3 years.  Rabies is usually given around 6 months of age.  This shot is only good for one year.  All the other rabies shots are good for 3 years.

The Vet Schools have been doing research that has proved overvaccinating your dogs actually causes auto immune diseases and cancer in older dogs.  THis fact you can check out yourselves on the Vet schools web sites.

Roz

Online Peter

• Administrator
  • Pet Partners Instructor, Vancouver, WA
    • Dog Tricks Video
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2009, 11:27:03 PM »
Please continue on with the topic of How much does your Mini Schnauzer weight?

However, I moved the responses on the topic of vaccines to:

Vaccines and Other Prophylactic Meds

Thank you,

Peter
Mukaluka Dirtypaws, male black Miniature Schnauzer, 11/09/07, 15-1/8", 17.0 lb (goal) [medical]
Pukalu, male S&P Miniature Schnauzer, 03/27/10, 15", 15.5 lb (goal) [medical]
Also: About Peter ~ Our Therapy Dog Work ~ Our Tricks Video ~ Muka's Scrapbook

Offline Josee

• Member since 2009
  • Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2009, 08:48:59 AM »
Thank you for the info... the breeder did mention that Cashie might have smaller bones, so that may be why she will be on the 'petite' side.

As for vaccines (I know this discussion is about weight, but I would like to reply here if that's okay), I am following my vet's instructions - 4 weeks apart for each set of vaccinations (first set at 6 weeks, second set at 10 weeks and third set at 14 weeks).

Josee
Cashie - 2 year old female mini, S&P (30/08/2009)

Offline Angie S

• Member since 2009
  • Gretna, LA
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2009, 05:22:27 PM »
Nessie had her 4th set of vaccines today!! She is 13 weeks, 3 days and weighs.................. 7.10lbs!!
LaRoux, female S&P Miniature Schnauzer, born April 14, 2013
Nessie, female S&P Miniature Schnauzer, August 15, 2009 to April 16, 2013 R.I.P.

Offline BobW

• Member since 2009
  • Beaverton, OR
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2009, 03:01:42 PM »
Our guys are 7 months.  Toby is 18lbs and Jake is 16lbs.  They have been consistently 2 pounds apart every time we check them.  Hope they done get much heavier.  When are they considered full grown? 

Offline Debbie

• Member since 2009
  • Buckley, WA
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2010, 04:30:18 AM »
Jetson now weigh 11.3 pounds, had him at the Vets yesterday. December 28th he was 4 months old, I think he is going to be a pretty big mini the rate he is going. He is getting tall too.
19.3 pounds

Offline Robert

• Member since 2009
  • Manchester, NH
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2010, 08:04:25 PM »
 :smiley: Abby was one on December 5th and weighs 19 lbs....seems very healthy, but she is definitely solid.... :smiley:

Offline Debbie

• Member since 2009
  • Buckley, WA
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2010, 04:29:04 AM »
Abby looks perfect Robert! I agree we have to go by how they look, not the charts all of the time. Muscle weighs more that fat too.
19.3 pounds