Author Topic: How much does your Miniature Schnauzer weigh?  (Read 29583 times)

Offline Dotty

• Member since 2010
  • Meridian, ID
Re: How much does your Miniature Schnauzer weigh?
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2010, 04:41:29 PM »
Weighed and measured Rocko yesterday.... He is 9 1/2" tall and weighs 12.6 lbs and he is 15 weeks old... yowza

Offline DonnaK

• Member since 2010
  • Ontario, Canada
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2010, 04:33:18 PM »
My girls weigh 14.5 and 15.5 lbs. Jasmine weighs the most, however, she is also a little taller.

I don't know if I should ask this here, but, here it goes. Does anybody know about toy schnauzers, and Party schnauzer? Found the info elsewhere and was amazed. Are they considered AKC? Personally I like mini,standard,giant!!!!!
The Girls
Sugarbear & Jasmine

Offline Janie

• Member since 2009
  • Mini Breeder, Damascus, OR
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2010, 04:54:51 PM »
the color is Partie Color and the tiny mini schnauzer and Partie are both registerable but cannot be shown here in the USA because the parent club AMC has decided they are a disqualified in the show ring as are the beautiful white schnauzers. Janie

Offline Peter

• Administrator
  • Pet Partners Instructor, Vancouver, WA
    • Dog Tricks Video
« Reply #48 on: February 22, 2010, 05:40:00 PM »
I have been to three Schnauzers Walks where there are hundreds of Schnauzers of all sizes (though mostly mini), and to many parks and other places, and I have only ever seen one single toy. It was really cute, and just a puppy. It weighed 2.5 lb and would weigh only 5 lb at adult size, yet play-fought with Muka like it was a big dog! I was worried Muka might hurt it, and so was very careful.

A vet I know said she hated treating toys because they are so small, but then that's true for all small animals, including hampsters! LOL

I have seen a number of parti Schauzers, and was tempted to adopt a rescue that I showed in the Rescue forum for a long time. But I don't know what they bred to get the colors, and I'm afraid of possible allergies. Though please don't repeat this... I don't want my concern to turn into false information... that parti Schnauzer is not hypoallergenic like the minis... it just concerned me.

If you google Schnauzers for sale you find lots of toys (and teacups) and parties, and it concerns me that many could come from puppy mills. Not because of the types, but because they are being sold on-line. I don't know any breeders that sell these types of Schnauzers, but that could easily be explained by the fact that all the breeders I know show their dogs and AKC will not let these types be shown.

One breeder suggested that whites were breed by continually breeding the lightest dogs, and that health issues were created in the process. But that doesn't mean that a responsible breeder couldn't have a very healthy line of whites.

Every year at the Schnauzer Walk I do see many happy, healthy looking whites and parties! Just never a toy.

Peter

P.S.

Janie,

This is a cup is half full or half empty kinda thing, but yes, you could say these types are disqualified by the AKC. But you could also say that standards for these types just haven't been accepted yet!
Mukaluka Dirtypaws, male black Miniature Schnauzer, 11/09/07, 15-1/8", 17.5 lb (goal) [medical]
Pukalu, male S&P Miniature Schnauzer, 03/27/10, 15", 15.5 lb (goal) [medical]
Also: About Peter ~ Our Therapy Dog Work ~ Our Tricks Video ~ Muka's Scrapbook

Offline Dotty

• Member since 2010
  • Meridian, ID
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2010, 12:25:45 PM »
Yes, that's very true Peter... and it's happening with a lot of toy breeds... mini schnauzers included...like with the toy poodle, the 'teacups' are infamous for having serious health issues.... buyer beware... the lady I got Rocko from has an undersized female that she bred to an even smaller male... went and saw them and OMG!!! They are sooooooooo sweeeeeeet.... I want one of the lil females so bad.... not interested in the slightest to show in conformation.... there's other stuff yaknow...obedience...agility... anyway...there's my two cents... :smiley:

Offline Debbie

• Member since 2009
  • Buckley, WA
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2010, 08:21:16 AM »
As of today Jetson weighs 14.9 pounds. He is just a little over 6 months old.
The Dog is the God of Frolic
Jetson ~ Black and Silver Mini DOB: 8-28-2009
19.3 pounds

Offline Annette

• Member since 2010
  • Elizabethton, TN
    • Ask A True Veterinarian!
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2010, 09:18:38 AM »
 After a dental last week, the vet called and said I needed to feed Kaizer and Kyra a reduced caloric diet.  My boy is up to 27.7  :shocked: pounds and my girl is 18.7 pounds.  They get no treats, only dog food.  I really don't want to change their dog food, so I just cut them back a little bit.  They were getting  1 1/3 cup- 1 1/2 cup of Wysong dehydrated raw with kibble.  It's so darn cold here, taking them for a walk is just miserable.  When they are out in the yard, they run like wild and also in the house.  They get exercise, but probably not enough.

For the past week they have been getting 1 cup of food and I add a bit of an apple to it.

I'm curious how many cups is everyone feeding their pup a day?  I know it will vary with their exercise level, but I'd like to get a general idea.  I'm afraid they are getting hungry.

Annette
Kaizer- NM-Miniature-S&P-DOB-1/20/09
Kyra- SF-Miniature-B&S -DOB- 1/20/09

"The more people I meet, the more I like my dog." ~Unknown

"Handle every stressful situation like a dog.  If you can't eat it or play with it....then just pee on it and walk away"

Offline Debbie

• Member since 2009
  • Buckley, WA
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2010, 10:02:31 AM »
Good question, about how much to feed. We have been feeding Jetson a cup a day since he was 10 weeks old. A pretty full cup, we feed him 1/3 a cup three times a day, but we are slowly giving him less at lunch time and more in the morning and night, but he does get quite a few little healthy treats during the day, and raw carrots and some dried sweet potatoes, one slice a day.

He is eating Wellnes Super 5 for Puppy right now and we are going to continue feeding him the Wellness brand as he gets older.
The Dog is the God of Frolic
Jetson ~ Black and Silver Mini DOB: 8-28-2009
19.3 pounds

Offline Peter

• Administrator
  • Pet Partners Instructor, Vancouver, WA
    • Dog Tricks Video
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2010, 10:29:23 AM »
If you're judging weight, you have to look at height, too. (And the breeders tell me that it's not that easy to compare dogs because, as with people, bone structure makes a difference, too.) Muka is 18.5 lb and 14&5/8 at the shoulder. He gets 1&1/3 cups of dry kibble a day, plus veggies.

Also see How Much to Feed

Peter
Mukaluka Dirtypaws, male black Miniature Schnauzer, 11/09/07, 15-1/8", 17.5 lb (goal) [medical]
Pukalu, male S&P Miniature Schnauzer, 03/27/10, 15", 15.5 lb (goal) [medical]
Also: About Peter ~ Our Therapy Dog Work ~ Our Tricks Video ~ Muka's Scrapbook

Offline Sue

• Member since 2008
  • Bonney Lake, WA
« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2010, 02:21:41 PM »
It also depends on the brand of dog food & the size of kibble.  Nitro is just under 20#, just about 15# at the shoulders, so too large for the breed "standard."  He gets 1/2 cup twice daily at breakfast and dinner and typically walks 1 1/2 - 2 miles with me every day.  He sleeps in-between meals and walks!!!  Our vet says he's in perfect body condition, so I'm not concerned about his weight.
Nitro, male black Miniature Schnauzer, born April 4, 2007
Scrapbook:  Introducing Nitro
In memory:  Lucy & Mikey

Offline Linda

• Member since 2009
  • Portland, OR
« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2010, 08:35:10 PM »
Yes, It definitely depends on the food you are feeding them.  You should be able to call the manufacturer and they should be able to tell you how much to feed of any type of food they sell.  Explain to them you are trying to get the weight of your dogs down a bit, and they may be able to help with that, as well.

Wellness is an excellent choice of food, Debbie!  We have had nothing but good luck with the puppies on the Super 5 puppy food. 

As for the older dogs, we have been feeding them Solid Gold, since it is a good quality food, and we can get it in big bags at Food Front Co-op, where we do our people shopping, too.

Linda
Chibi Maru: S&P Female, 04 Dec 03
Sir Sachi Minuets: Black Male, 11 Feb 06
Serenete: S&P Female, 03 May 07
Monty: Black Schnoodle Male "Pound Puppy,"Apr 07 (?)
Loup Garou: S&P Male, 08 Feb 10
Scrapbook:  Introducing Chibi, Sachi, Serenete and Monty

Offline Mick

• Member since 2009
  • North Tonawanda, NY
« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2010, 11:59:33 PM »
Dusty just turned 1. She is about 13 1/2" at the shoulders and weighs in at a very trim 18.2 lbs. If you simply look at the numbers you might expect her to be heavy for her height but like a few have already mentioned, it really depends on their bone structure. She comes from a very "sturdy" bloodline so she is a trim but solid little girl.

She eats about 1/2 cup of kibble with a teaspoon of canned 100% meat (chicken, rabbit, turkey or salmon) twice a day. Every couple of weeks, we bake then mash a small sweet potato and mix that with her kibble for about 3 or 4 days instead of the meat. She gets a biscuit or mini carrot as a treat now and again to help keep her teeth clean.

Offline Annette

• Member since 2010
  • Elizabethton, TN
    • Ask A True Veterinarian!
« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2010, 07:33:57 AM »
Kaizer is down 1.3 pounds to 26.4 lbs.  I don't know if the boy is hungry or not, but he is always sniffing around the house trying to find anything to munch down on.  We have the inside of our house tore apart remodeling it and they think they have to eat every piece of wood found on the floor, before long they are going to be pooping two-by-fours.  :angry:
Kaizer- NM-Miniature-S&P-DOB-1/20/09
Kyra- SF-Miniature-B&S -DOB- 1/20/09

"The more people I meet, the more I like my dog." ~Unknown

"Handle every stressful situation like a dog.  If you can't eat it or play with it....then just pee on it and walk away"

Offline Linda

• Member since 2009
  • Portland, OR
« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2010, 05:53:12 PM »
LOL!  Monty got a whole carrot I dropped on the floor, and went under the coffee table and ate it the other day.  Big orange poops for him! :grin:

Linda
Chibi Maru: S&P Female, 04 Dec 03
Sir Sachi Minuets: Black Male, 11 Feb 06
Serenete: S&P Female, 03 May 07
Monty: Black Schnoodle Male "Pound Puppy,"Apr 07 (?)
Loup Garou: S&P Male, 08 Feb 10
Scrapbook:  Introducing Chibi, Sachi, Serenete and Monty

Offline Sue

• Member since 2008
  • Bonney Lake, WA
« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2010, 09:26:36 PM »
Linda, that is too funny.  I can see Monty scarfing down the carrot before he got caught!  Many years ago, my son was a toddler, he just loved pureed carrots, sweet potatoes and squash.  It was time for his check up, and the doctor noticed his skin was a bit orange!!!  Had to fess up, the kid just didn't like green vegetables at that time.  Too funny when your kid turns orange.  We tried to switch up the diet after that.
Nitro, male black Miniature Schnauzer, born April 4, 2007
Scrapbook:  Introducing Nitro
In memory:  Lucy & Mikey