Member Countries:                                                      

Author Topic: What length is your schnauzers hair after being groomed?  (Read 3641 times)

Offline Kyle & Mariah

• Member since 2013
  • St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada
What length is your schnauzers hair after being groomed?
« on: February 17, 2013, 03:38:25 PM »
Hello everybody, our appointment is finally coming up next week because our groomer is very popular and has a waiting list, but I wanted to ask you guys what length clippers you or your groomers use for the top. I'm not sure which length our groomer used, and it didn't look bad, but Dash's skin is pink underneath so you can really see it with his hair that short. Do you guys think that's too short?   Do you know which length of clippers your groomer uses on the top?

Thanks!

Kyle
Dash, white male Miniature Schnauzer, born on May 18, 2010 (21 lb)

Offline Doris

• Forum Moderator
  • Lake Oswego, OR
Re: What length is your Schnauzers hair after being groomed?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 06:11:09 PM »
I've used a 10 and a 7 blade depending on the season. Recently I used a blade that left the hair/fur even longer and was sorry that I did.  I find that the hair/fur grows so quickly, that he now looks scruffy and I need to groom him again.  My Rudy has fine/thin hair and he seems to get cold easily - I'll opt to have him wear his jacket more often versus me grooming him more often.  It's easier.  That probably doesn't help you, but I would consider how fast the hair/fur grows and how much does the pink skin bother you?  Dash's hair/fur does sound short, however; less grooming would be a positive to me.
Rudy: ms DOB e 8-5-07, rescued 8-5-11 - Our First Three Years with Rudy
Izzy: :cat: dsh, tabby, DOB e 4-06, rescued 4-22-07

Offline Sara

• Member since 2012
  • Independence, MO
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 06:38:37 PM »
I use a 10 blade because I like it short.  Sissel's hair seems like it grows over night...LOL

I agree with Doris, I rather put a sweater on and keep it short in the winter than go too long. I've never seen Sissel's skin using the 10 blade, but I'm sure it has to do with the thickness of their coat, and color. Sissel is black and silver, so the black doesn't look too short.

Sissel, female B&S Miniature Schnauzer, born September 14, 2010
Sophia, female B&S Miniature Schnauzer, born June 18, 2013

Offline Kim L

• Member since 2012
  • Texarkana, TX
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 11:10:10 PM »
At class last monday, I used the 3/4 blade on Maxxc's coat because I wanted him to still look fluffy and puppyish.  As I was bathing him today, I was sorry I did as you can't tell he even had a haircut.  Tonight we cut the face in our class and I plan to cut his body again shorter if I have time.. I hate to use the 7 or 10 but I might.  His hair really grows fast.
Sammy, male small Schnauzer/Poodle mix, born September 11, 2005
Maxx, male Giant Schnauzer, born September 23, 2012
Check out our website! Maxx and Sams Custom Dog Collars and More

Offline Kyle & Mariah

• Member since 2013
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 05:57:33 AM »
Thanks for the replies. We like him short as well on top because his hair seems to grow back pretty fast, I just thought it looked funny that his skin was so noticeable afterwards.  What length do you guys have the legs done at so it looks fluffy but doesn't get too long right away?

Offline Peter

• Administrator
  • Pet Partners Instructor, Vancouver, WA
    • Dog Tricks Video
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 09:34:47 AM »
I usually ignore the grooming topics because I just pay for it, which makes no sense as I'm the most frugal person you'd ever meet and I cut my own hair! But after watching a couple groomings, thinking I could learn from them, I learned that I should never try it! I'm not dumb.

But I just called my groomer for you and here's what she does. She breeds and grooms and shows champions.

She uses a 15 blade.

First, while the blade is cool so it doesn't cause razor burn, you do the stomach and butt. You can do these against the grain of the hair.

Second, while it's still cool, you do the top of the head, the cheeks, and the throat. You can also do these against the grain.

Then you do the rest WITH the grain. It seems counter-intuitive to go with the grain as it pushes the hair down. But she is convinced that going against the grain in these areas contributes to the development of skin issues.

In the winter, my dogs get a lamb cut to keep them warmer. The areas listed above under "first" and "second" are cut against the grain with a 15 blade all year long. But for the lamb cut, the other areas which are cut with the grain are cut with a 5F blade.

Hope that helps!
Mukaluka Dirtypaws, male black Miniature Schnauzer, 11/09/07, 15-1/8", 17.0 lb (goal) [medical]
Pukalu, male S&P Miniature Schnauzer, 03/27/10, 15", 15.5 lb (goal) [medical]
Also: About Peter ~ Our Therapy Dog Work ~ Our Tricks Video ~ Muka's Scrapbook

Offline Kyle & Mariah

• Member since 2013
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 10:02:05 AM »
Thanks a lot! Like you Peter, I am also very frugal and also cut my own hair lol. I always just use the second longest blade I have on my shaver so it's not shaved, but it's not too long..and it only takes like 10 minutes! Lol.

I was actually asking so I can mention it to the groomer this time so we can try and go longer in between groomings.  Unlike most people (from what it seems) we actually used to have an amazing groomer for PetSmart and she was the only person we would bring Dash too but the location she was at closed and we are now unable to find her.  After that we decided to buy our own clippers and do it ourselves and it worked for awhile by just making him pretty evenly lengthed, but for we found an amazing mobile groomer and she has a lot of experience with schnauzers so ever since we've just been giving Dash to her to cut.

Offline Peter

• Administrator
    • Dog Tricks Video
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 10:36:00 AM »
My dogs get what I call a "short sport cut."

Sport cut is the classic Schnauzer cut with the furnishings cut just a bit shorter so you can go a bit longer between cuts. My "short sport cut" is just a bit shorter than that.

This is only the furnishings that are being cut shorter. And it's not so short that you don't get the classic look.
Mukaluka Dirtypaws, male black Miniature Schnauzer, 11/09/07, 15-1/8", 17.0 lb (goal) [medical]

Offline Debby

• Member since 2012
  • Miami, FL
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 04:11:01 PM »
Kyle, I groom my Schnauzer, Suki, using a #10 blade against the grain for her coat but she has a very thick coat so that works well for her.  For your dog, you might want to try a #7 blade first, and have the groomer clip with the grain of the hair, not against it.

It that turns out to be too long, then you can move up to a #10 blade.  The blade that Peter's groomer uses, the # 15, seems to be commonly used, too, though because it is a higher number than the 10 or 7, it will cut the hair a little closer to the skin than either of those two.  (The lower the number, the longer the hair; the higher the number, the closer the cut).

Here's a link that describes some of the more common blades and the the thickness of the cut they produce and also discusses how clipping with or against the grain of a dog's hair will impact the length of the cut.  Hopefully it will help you to make sense of all the responses you're been getting!  I think it's quite a good description.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?aid=2296
Suki, female S&P Miniature Schnauzer, b. April 28, 2011

Offline Peter

• Administrator
    • Dog Tricks Video
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 05:29:48 PM »
The 15 doesn't cut as close for my groomer because she goes with the grain of the hair.

Offline Kyle & Mariah

• Member since 2013
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 11:44:16 AM »
That's interesting. I was always under the understanding that going against the hair would cause razor burn.  I will have to ask the groomer what she uses and compare to what you guys have said.

Offline Peter

• Administrator
    • Dog Tricks Video
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 11:46:40 AM »
As I wrote above, it does on some of the hair.

Offline Dave

• Member since 2011
  • Mini Breeder, Manchester, England
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 11:47:12 AM »
you use a 7f on the body . 10 on the head and ears all with the grain .10 on cheeks and throat against the grain . 15 on belly, bum and tuppence  .But its all personal preference .
Lilywhite: White Miniature Schnauzer, 6 months old

Offline Doris

• Forum Moderator
  • Lake Oswego, OR
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2013, 12:58:22 PM »
That's interesting. I was always under the understanding that going against the hair would cause razor burn.  I will have to ask the groomer what she uses and compare to what you guys have said.

I'm thinking it may make a difference in the thickness of the coat if going against the grain would cause razor burn? 
Rudy: ms DOB e 8-5-07, rescued 8-5-11 - Our First Three Years with Rudy
Izzy: :cat: dsh, tabby, DOB e 4-06, rescued 4-22-07

Offline Saoni

• Member since 2011
  • Bayamon, Puerto Rico
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2013, 01:14:37 PM »
Right now I use the #10 blade against the grain because it no longer leaves a smooth Shave if I use it with the grain. There are no razor Burns but maybe is because my clipper gets so hot so fast that I stop every few minutes just to make sure that is not too hot . 
Bruno, male black Miniature Schnauzer with a white glove, born April 1, 2011
Scrapbook:  Bruno through the Weeks
Blake, male black mix, circa May 2013 (Thinks humans exist only to cuddle him.)