Member Countries:                                        
MySchnauzer.net Celebrates Diversity! April 18, 2014, 06:54:55 PM
   Home   Help    Index Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Traveling with a Schnauzer  (Read 3102 times)
Debby
Member since 2012

Miami, FL

« on: April 24, 2013, 09:10:05 AM »

I've always enjoyed traveling by car to other states and, recently, seeing all of the gorgeous photos from forum members of their respective locations has really got me feeling like planning a road trip.

BUT -- I now have a little dog to think of, which brings me to this post.

I'm wondering which forum members may have taken extensive cross-country driving trips with their Schnauzers and what kind of planning and special arrangements you may have made.  Did you stay in dog-friendly hotels, and if so, are there any chains in particular you'd recommend?  How do long hours in a car affect your dog and are there limits on how many travel days you'd recommend?

I'm thinking of traveling out West -- I have family in Arizona and have driven out there twice.  A few years back I was on the verge of leaving for a driving trip to Montana with my cousin (our respective fathers were Montanans) when I had an accident and broke my hip.  But I still dream of being able to make that trip, and others, so I can see more of the beautiful American West than I've been able to see so far.

By the way, if anyone has taken their Schnauzer on a vacation and traveled by plane, I'd be interested to know how that went, too.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions from others who have traveled with their pooches.  Suki has done well on short day trips in the car and I think she'd probably handle a longer trip well, too, but hearing about others' experiences would be very helpful.

Suki, female S&P Miniature Schnauzer, b. April 28, 2011
Doris

Lake Oswego, OR

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 12:05:30 PM »

Thatís great Debby!  Will you be able to make it to Oregon by July 27th to join us at the Portland Schnauzer Walk?  Wink

Weíve traveled with Rudy on a trip from Oregon to California.  On the way down, we stayed overnight at 2 places - the Oregon Coast and somewhere by/in the Redwoods.  We simply searched for dog friendly places online and picked the ones that looked nice.  On the way back, we drove the entire way in one day.  We stopped every 4 or 5 hours for a  Schnauzer potty break and stretch.  Rudy did great.  He was a good traveler.  We didnít make any real special arrangements Ė we just took his stuff Ė his favorite toys, his cabin, dog coats, and, of course dog food.  

Iíve thought about renting a motor home and going somewhere Ė still not sure if thatís a good idea or not for us.  The only forum member that I can recall taking their dog on the plane is KarenB (sheís no longer part of our group).  Iím guessing that her posts are still out there.   I think the experience went fine for her.  She took her dog in the cabin of the plane.  

Anyway, hereís our trip if youíre interested.  

Driving Trip OR to CA
http://www.myschnauzer.net/forums/index.php?topic=2990.0

It just seemed that Rudy was fine since we were there. Please keep us posted on what you decide to do. How fun!  Grin

Rudy: ms DOB e 8-5-07, rescued 8-5-11 - Our First Two Years with Rudy
Izzy: Cat dsh, tabby, DOB e 4-06, rescued 4-22-07
Alyssa L
Member since 2013

Athens, GA

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 06:32:18 PM »

When I took Hardy to Texas, it felt like we were in the car the whole time.  I calculated that we spent almost 50 hours driving over that one week. I didn't expect to do nearly that much traveling, but I have a very good friend who is severely ill, so we ended up making an extra trip to Lubbock and back to see her, and that's 10 hours total. Then we had to visit the grandparents, etc. etc. I felt bad having him in the car that much, but he was a trooper. I put him in his kennel with a blanket over three sides and he slept almost the entire way on every trip. He didn't make a peep, it was wonderful.

I agree with Dorris, we stopped every 4-5 hours, and I have to stop that often anyway, so it was no problem! We didn't stay in a hotel, but I did look up where the rest stops would be. Most of them were really nice with big grassy pet areas where we could both stretch our legs. We did several potty stops at gas stations too, but not all of them have grass and the ones that do are usually covered with cigarette butts and other people's trash. So I like rest stops better, when that's an option.

The one thing I will add is that I usually feed Hardy twice, once in the morning and once in the evening. I gave him less food than usual the morning we left GA, but he still got sick in his crate as soon as I parked at the first rest stop. I think the sudden change in movement upset his tummy. Anyway, after that I cut out his morning meal entirely and just gave him a little extra the night before. He does sleep the whole time, so he didn't seem to mind. You can also get nausea pills from your vet as a precaution, but that didn't even occur to me until it was too late.

Even though we were in the car more than I'd planned, I'm really glad I took him. It made the trip a lot more fun for me to have a companion. He loved meeting my friends and family, and of course they all wanted to meet him after the hundreds of pictures I had forced them to look at! Confused In my opinion, since you love traveling and she seems to do okay on short trips, she will be happy going with you. And as always... we just want more Schnauzer  Camera !! So it's a win-win-win really!

Hardy, male P&S Standard Schnauzer, born November 20, 2012
Kim L
Member since 2012

Texarkana, TX

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 07:53:17 PM »

I take Sammy everywhere when I travel and can't wait til Maxxc learns better manners so he can go too. We go at least 4 or 5 times a year 300-500 plus miles at a time.
   I have never taken him on an airplane but looked into it once, but changed my mind when I found out it would be iffy for him to travel in a carrier in the plane because of his size..borderline too big.  After my plane trip I was glad I didn't because of the noise, plane rumblings, and closeness of the cabin. I don't think sammy would have enjoyed it at all. He would have had to ride in a carrier that fit under the seat.
    As far as hotels, all LaQuintas take pets with no charge, Country Inn and suites charge 15.00 per stay(not per night), holiday inn express take pets.  There are more, but some charge a ridiculous amount like 150.00 for a pet charge. I've never tested them but my daughter and I stayed at the Westin Resort in Dallas one weekend and even though their literature said there was a big fee they did not charge us for Sammy.
   I agree with Alyssa, rest stops are better as most have designated areas for pet walks. However, traveling alone I try to pick the safest option even if the walk isn't optimal.
      Sammy doesn't usually eat or drink while he travels but makes up for it when we arrive at our destination.  He just won't drink while traveling but I always offer when we stop.
      Sammy usually rides in his crate belted in with the seatbelt but this last time I let him ride in a pet bed with a special seatbelt harness buckled.  I think he liked that better.
   Maxxc eats and drinks no problem. Besides his long ride home as a puppy we have taken him to Dallas once and he did great. 
  Sammy loves to go on short trips around town but the day after a long trip he is wary of getting back in the car. On our recent trip to IL he was very popular in the hotel lobby and I had a hard time leaving every morning to my parents house because of Sammy and his social network.  Everyone oohed and gooed at him and had to pet and talk to him.  He was very happy to say hello to everyone and perform tricks for all the new people he met.

Sammy, male small Schnauzer/Poodle mix, born September 11, 2005
Maxx, male Giant Schnauzer, born September 23, 2012
Check out our website! Maxx and Sams Custom Dog Collars and More
Doris

Lake Oswego, OR

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 09:03:47 PM »

One important thing that I didn't consider taking on our trip was a doggie first aid kit.  I would definitely prepare better for our next trip to include one for emergencies. 

Rudy: ms DOB e 8-5-07, rescued 8-5-11 - Our First Two Years with Rudy
Izzy: Cat dsh, tabby, DOB e 4-06, rescued 4-22-07
Diana C
Member since 2013

Fayetteville, North Carolina

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 10:45:07 PM »

I will have to fly with my two schnauzers in the beginning of June from Korea back to the states. This will be their first flight and they have to fly cargo due to their size Sad. I am very nervous about flying during the beginning of summer on 20+ hour flights (one layover in Atlanta), but we have no other choice as that is when we are ordered to move. There is a lot of information on how to prepare your dog for air travel, but if anyone has experience/advice on air travel with their schnauzers I would greatly appreciate it as well.

We have already purchased their airline approved travel crates so that they get used to them. Has anyone heard of using lavender oil to promote a sense of calmness while they are in their crates? Their crates are already their comfort spot, but it may help on the day of travel to make it a little less stressful. I'm thinking of getting some and applying a little on their crate mat.

I also read somewhere to use baby diapers instead of potty pads inside the crate while traveling. The logic was the diapers didn't have the odor that potty pads do to let dogs know it's ok to do their business there, and the diapers are suppose to be more absorbent and possibly less irritating to their skin. Any thoughts?

Once we arrive in the states (hopefully everything goes well) I will give more information about my experience.

JoJo, male B&S Miniature Schnauzer, born November 7, 2011
MoMo, female B&S Miniature Schnauzer, born May 3, 2012
Kim L
Member since 2012

Texarkana, TX

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 03:58:12 AM »

One thing I forgot, I always have copies of vet records with me and rabies tags.  A few of the hotels I checked out requests them(though no one has ever asked me) and I have also heard that if you get stopped by hwy patrol they can also ask for them.

Sammy, male small Schnauzer/Poodle mix, born September 11, 2005
Maxx, male Giant Schnauzer, born September 23, 2012
Check out our website! Maxx and Sams Custom Dog Collars and More
Alexa
Member since 2013

St. Paul, MN

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 07:03:57 AM »

I haven't gone on a road trip with my Millie but we did fly once when she was a little under a year. I had her in a carrier under the seat and she was a perfect angel. I had a couple of small rawhide sticks but she didn't touch them and just slept. When the plane landed and I was holding her carrier people around me were amazed that I had a dog as she didn't make a sound. We were flying from MN to MD.  I was really surprised at check in because they make a huge deal about weight on the website and when making arrangements but they didn't even look at her on the way there or back.

My friend drove from Ohio to MN with her boxer and border collie and they used this site for a couple of stops on the way. http://www.dogfriendly.com/

I haven't used it myself so I can't really vouch for it but she seemed to like it.

Millie, female S&P Miniature Schnauzer, born September 18, 2007, 14 lbs
Mikko, male Lab/Border Collie rescue, born around August 16, 2011, 45 lbs
Pam O
Member since 2011

Allen, TX

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 07:21:53 AM »

Lucy loves the car...she rides in a harness attached to the seat belt.  She's in the car going to agility every week and now trials.  Plus we make a trip to Houston and back pretty often....that's 4 hrs 15 mins each way....and she's great.  Several years ago...before I had Lucy....by BF and I took Sasha on a road trip to South Dakota to visit my oldest daughter.  We camped while in S. Dakota and thought about camping along the way but he found a couple of B & B's in Nebraska that allowed pets.  What a GREAT experience we had at both places.  Wonderful people who loved dogs.  The first one even watched her for us for awhile and let us go explore the town.  We really had a fabulous trip and Sasha was fantastic in the car. 

Side note...both of my dogs, as puppies, got car sick.  I just would keep bags and paper towels in the car.  They both grew out of it and now they both LOVE riding in the car.  When I start getting stuff ready...and the crates are by the door...they know they're going on a road trip and drive me nuts!!! 

I say just do it.!!!!!  You'll have a blast.

Lucy, CGC, TG2, TBAD - 11/10/09 - 14". 16 lb. - Black mini w/ white markings

Debby
Member since 2012

Miami, FL

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 07:50:00 AM »

Wow, these are all great posts and are packed with helpful information.   I feel much more knowledgeable already!  It really is wonderful how much help is available on this forum.

So now I have to start thinking about when to travel and what route to take.  It will probably be awhile before I can work it all out but, Doris, you can be sure that if I can possibly be in Portland for the Schnauzer Walk, I will be! Wink

Valerie
Member since 2011

Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013, 11:07:48 AM »

When i lived in Florida, we were coming back home (Quebec) 2-3 times a year, driving. Pullup was always with us and a good traveller too! sometimes we were doing the trip non stop! 27 hours drive. But at the end we were sleeping 1 night.

Pullup would sleep almost the whole trip (me too  Wink). We were doing bathroom breaks in rest area every 3-4 hours. She would do her business and i would make her walk.

We would pack the car and put her bed in the back seat, but more between the back seat and the front seat (with things on the floor under her bed). This way, she was close to us and had room in the back to stretch and play if needed. I didn't have the heart to put her harness with the seat belt for a long drive like that. She needed to move.

When we would stop, we did at Best Western. They were always close from the exits and dog's friendly (and clean).

We tried the plane once with Pullup, and never again!!! First i was a nervous wreck because i was so scared that they would put her in the wrong plane, or steal her! Confused and it was a non stop flight, imagine my worries with a 1 stop flight! We got in Montreal and she peed and pooped and she did vomit in her cage. I felt sooooooo sorry for her, she was a wreck. Never again!

Best of luck! And happy travelling.

Sushi, Miniature Schnauzer, born August 26, 2011
In memory:  Pullup, silver Miniature Schnauzer, 12 years and dearly missed
Zoie
Member since 2011

Middle Tennessee

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2013, 09:12:30 PM »

Bucky hasn't been on any trips yet but Gus endured a few in his lifetime. The longest was probably a 10+ hour drive from TN to FL. He was about 11 so he was pretty calm. Slept on a pile of towels and pillows in the backseat the whole way. We made sure to have plenty of kibble and bottles of fresh water on hand. Whenever we made a stop (every 3-4) hours, Gus would get a potty break and a drink.
I wish I could speak to hotels but I can't remember any of the ones we stayed in.

Bucky is a nervous wreck in the car though...don't know how he would handle a long trip. He'd probably adjust after a few hours.

Buckminster, S&P mini; born 7/5/11
Gus, dearly missed S&P mini; 6/1/97 - 8/10/11
Peter
Started this 2008

Vancouver, WA

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2013, 10:46:28 AM »

It's all quite reckless, maybe dangerous (no seatbelts in the back seat!), but sometimes I throw a box in the passenger seat and we go for a great old ride across our beautiful country. Once as far as the supermarket!

But mostly we are homebodies.

Peter

Mukaluka Dirtypaws, male black Miniature Schnauzer, 11/09/07, 15-1/8", 17.5 lb (goal)[medical]
Pukalu, male S&P Miniature Schnauzer, 03/27/10, 15", 15.5 lb (goal) [medical]
Also: Peter, His Dogs and His Websites ~ Our Therapy Dog Work ~ Our Tricks Video at DogTricksVideo.com ~ Muka's Scrapbook
Debby
Member since 2012

Miami, FL

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2013, 07:54:52 AM »

That is the cutest photo, Peter.  If I were in a neighboring car I would have to just stare at both of them -- it's like they're SO united in their intense interest in not missing a thing!

Pat & Cliff
Member since 2011

Ferrisburgh, VT

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2013, 11:32:12 AM »

I recommend bottled water for a road trip so that you can avoid upsetting your dogs stomach if water tastes different from state to state.  We travel from the Atlanta, GA area to Vermont with Jeremy.  Because he was a puppy, he slept most of the time.  We brought not only his food but food for us, as our biggest concern was what to do with him when stopping for food.  That was the hardest part.  Because we were knew to him, we were unwilling to leave him in the car on his own - even though he was in a crate.

We ate at a lot of parks.  We bought fast food items I generally refuse to eat.  Finally, on our last day, we found this wonderful Bistro that had outside seating.  We asked if we could keep Jeremy with us in his carry case at the table and they were fine with it.  We actually got to eat real food.

As to your long trip home from South Korea...Wow.  That is going to be some flight.  Water and temperature are your biggest concerns.  Are you flying a commercial airline or military?

KarenB moved to Germany with her Schnauzer in a carry bag that fit under the seat.  Are you sure you could do that?

I flew about 4 hours nonstop with a dog in cargo.  Not anywhere near as long as your trip will be.  She did fine.

It's scary.

Thanks for being here, Pat and Her Boys:
One dog loving husband:  Cliff
Chester Field (motley mix) 10 yrs and counting
Go Mi Nam (aka Jeremy) 6/09/12  Male B&S Miniature Schnauzer
Go Mi Nyu (aka Gemma) Female B&S Miniature Schnauzer

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print