Author Topic: Energy levels of mini-schnauzer?  (Read 4274 times)

Offline Louis

• Member since 2013
  • Singapore
Energy levels of mini-schnauzer?
« on: July 02, 2013, 12:38:13 AM »
Hi everyone,

I just adopted my first mini-schnauzer Toby one and a half month ago now. Toby is 4+ years old, and an ex-breeding dog. Unless the weather is really bad, I have been walking him daily from almost day one.

However I noticed that he gets noticeably tired after ~50 minutes of brisk walking (with very few stops/sniffing during that time), whereas my friend's shihtzu for the same walk seems just as energetic as when we started. So, my question is - although I am not sure if this is only particular to Toby because he probably didn't get much exercise in the first few years of his life: what's the general energy levels of mini-schnauzers? My hope is to help him to build up his stamina over time but at the same time I don't want to over-stress him too, especially if this breed is not known for lack of energy/endurance!?

Hope someone can shed some light on this.

Cheers,
Louis.
Toby, male S&P Miniature Schnauzer, born about January 2009

Offline Peter

• Administrator
  • Pet Partners Instructor, Vancouver, WA
    • Dog Tricks Video
Re: Energy levels of mini-schnauzer?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 09:18:11 AM »
Most out-of-shape people would become exhausted with FIVE minutes of brisk walking! Yes, just work up to it slowly.

Peter
Mukaluka Dirtypaws, male black Miniature Schnauzer, 11/09/07, 15-1/8", 17.5 lb (goal) [medical]
Pukalu, male S&P Miniature Schnauzer, 03/27/10, 15", 15.5 lb (goal) [medical]
Also: About Peter ~ Our Therapy Dog Work ~ Our Tricks Video ~ Muka's Scrapbook

Offline Lisa S

• Member since 2013
  • Franklin, MA
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 01:33:40 PM »
Hi Louis!

Congratulations on getting Toby! I wouldn't be too concerned. Rory is two and she gets tired on walks after one mile and especially if it's warm out.

There have been many times where she laid down in the grass and refused to walk any farther. I have to physically stand her up and then she will walk again! Ha! What people watching must think!

My dad pet sat her recently and ended up carring her home after her little stunt! He was worried she was hurt or sick, because why else would she refuse to stand back up? haha sucker! Now she hopes I'll carry her too!

Also she turns into a limp noodle after 10:00 each night! I can set my clocks to her dozing off! Some times I even carry her to her crate for bed if it's really late! (I know that's a little indulgent and silly)

Rory seems to be a lower energy dog, but healthy. I'm careful to keep her weight steady with measured meals since I known she isn't too excited to go for a long walk. She really prefers to snuggle on the couch, lazy lizard!

You'll get a general understanding of Toby's energy level and what times of day he is perky or sleepy in no time! And I'm sure you can work on improving his endurance over time if hiking and going for long walks interest you.
Rory, female B&S Miniature Schnauzer, born May 14, 2011

Offline Tiffani

• Member since 2010
  • Animal lover, Oxford, WI
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 05:02:18 PM »
I wouldn't be concerned at all. I just let mine do what they want for distance, usually Macy is good after 30  minutes though I do push her farther once in a while and she doesn't mind. Maiya though..she could go for days and it never would make a dent on her energy. We go to the cabinand she runs for 4 or 5 days and is still ready to do more when we get home. Though once we stop she will happily nap.
My girls:
Maiya 05/08/10 S&P Mini 12.3lbs
Macy Mae 02/28/12 White Mini 11lbs
Morgan 06/22/08 2.6 lbs Chihuahua

Coming soon: Brandi Rose 08/07/14 German Shorthaired pointer

Karma Jo 02/19/13 Kitty
Kooper 12/31/13 Seal mink Desert Lynx (kitty)
The birds: Tuki, Fawkes, Aries(AKA Rudy), Talon, Maui, Serafina, Seeley, Sawyer, Jaxon, and Rampage

Offline Peter

• Administrator
  • Pet Partners Instructor, Vancouver, WA
    • Dog Tricks Video
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 09:40:13 AM »
Every time I see this topic title I think of Pukalu and think... HIGH!

:devil:
Mukaluka Dirtypaws, male black Miniature Schnauzer, 11/09/07, 15-1/8", 17.5 lb (goal) [medical]
Pukalu, male S&P Miniature Schnauzer, 03/27/10, 15", 15.5 lb (goal) [medical]
Also: About Peter ~ Our Therapy Dog Work ~ Our Tricks Video ~ Muka's Scrapbook

Online Doris

• Forum Moderator
  • Lake Oswego, OR
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 12:23:15 PM »
It definitely depends on the weather with my Rudy.  He's not tolerant of humidity.  He's pulled the same stunt as Lisa's Rory and  :boy: has ended up carrying him!  They know what they can get away with.  I have to admit that in these cases, the weather was less than desirable so he may have needed to rest. 
Rudy: ms DOB e 8-5-07, rescued 8-5-11 - Our First Three Years with Rudy
Izzy: :cat: dsh, tabby, DOB e 4-06, rescued 4-22-07

Offline Debby

• Member since 2012
  • Miami, FL
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 01:55:05 PM »
Louis, my Suki, who is two years old, does the same thing as Rory and Rudy.  I've had to carry her at least part way home on more than one occasion.  Mostly, though, I think this can be attributed to the heat and humidity of Florida.  The sun is brutal at this time of year.  Luckily, we're able to stick to mostly shady sidewalks.  I also ALWAYS carry one of those water bottles that dogs can drink out of with me and she will usually take at least one drink from it during a 30 minute walk.  It's important not to let them get dehydrated.  And in the summertime, I try to keep her groomed regularly so that when her coat starts to get a little thick, I clipper it very short so that her skin can "breathe."  I believe dogs can overheat easily -- it's a real danger for them.

When she was still around 8-9 months old she would go bananas with excitement every time I'd get her ready for a walk -- even at 10:00 at night, for her last walk of the day.  Now, she's like Rory in the evening.  At around 10:00, when I turn in for the night and call her so that she'll come sleep in her crate in my room, she doesn't want to budge off her cushion in front of the TV!  So I just leave her sleeping there.  Sure enough, about a half hour later, I'll hear her little toenails on the floor as she comes trotting back to the bedroom so she can curl up in her crate.

Like Doris, I'd say that climate plays a big role in a Schnauzer's energy level. And -- perhaps -- heredity.  Some dogs really are more couch potatoes than others.

We're really looking forward to the start of some cooler weather around here!
Suki, female S&P Miniature Schnauzer, b. April 28, 2011

Offline Deja

• Member since 2011
  • Grooming Student, Cleveland, OH
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 04:24:43 PM »
I'm sure someone has said this, but its like jogging with people. You have to build up a tolerance. I winced myself when you said 50 minutes of walking...that's a lot for me! I always try to go for an hour but only end up doing 30-40 minutes, and that's with breaks letting people pet him.

My coworker that runs the doggy daycamp was just telling me today that people who have been bringing their dogs to daycamp everyday are complaining their dogs aren't tired when they come home. Well, they've built up a tolerance and its no longer tiring. Whereas my youngest dog went there for the first time today, she will probably sleep for two days straight!
Que, male B&S Mini, born 2/1/2011 - adopted 3/18/2011
True, female Border Collie Mix, born 6/7/2012 - adopted 10/19/2012

In memory: R.I.P. Mandy and Shadow

Offline Abby

• Member since 2013
  • Ft. Lauderdale, FL
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 06:26:23 AM »
Don't forget one very important thing about our mini's, they are low to the ground.  Can you imagine how hot it is down there?  I also worry since my mini's are black in color I worry that the sun feels even hotter for them.  I say let them run ragged around the house, they will get all the energy they need in the air conditioning!
I'm just thrilled that they know what they like, stop walking to rest, Mine roll around in the grass, and then practically convince us to pick them up and carry them home!!  How cool are their personalities!  Ya gotta love it.  We are certainly not smart enough to come out of the sun, take some advice from your mini!!  :)  :)   :)

Abby, Willie and Buddy
Willie, male B&S Miniature Schnauzer, born April 5, 2005
Buddy, male B&S Miniature Schnauzer, born June 27, 2009

Offline Abby

• Member since 2013
  • Ft. Lauderdale, FL
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2013, 06:29:09 AM »
One more thought.  Wait until a thunder storm rolls around.  My little one loves the rain.  My 8 year old can feel lightening miles away.  He won't step outside until the storm has passed.  Talk about the will of a mini..... I just love it.
Willie, male B&S Miniature Schnauzer, born April 5, 2005
Buddy, male B&S Miniature Schnauzer, born June 27, 2009

Offline Lisa S

• Member since 2013
  • Franklin, MA
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2013, 07:29:11 AM »
Abby - sooo true about the power of a mini's will! Rory hates the rain and even the dew on the grass! She really tries to avoid going out if she might get wet! Sometimes she even refuses to go to he bathroom once we are out if she is getting too wet! Which can be frustrating because in 20 min she really has to go and we get wet again!

She also knows when I'm about to move her on the couch and I swear she magically suction-cups herself to the couch! She melts into the cushion almost flat and goes limp when I try to move her... What a riot!

Rory's personality is huge! We alway know how she feels, she makes sure of that!
Rory, female B&S Miniature Schnauzer, born May 14, 2011

Offline Alaina

• Member since 2010
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2013, 09:00:42 PM »
I think endurance depends on the schnauzer.  I've noticed that they don't tolerate the heat real well.  The two mini  :Schnauzer: that we've had would stop when they got tired on a walk and we were not power walking for 50 minutes.   We have not had that issue with our standard  :Schnauzer: as she's like the energizer bunny.  You can build up their stamina, just remember they have to run if we are walking fast, but they love to go.  Enjoy!
Alaina and the Girls:
Olivia - Black mini, 12 yrs., 11/30/2001, 15 lb
Gracie - S&P standard, 7 yrs., 09/03/2007, 32 lb
In memory:  Tilly - 1994 to 2007

Offline Debby

• Member since 2012
  • Miami, FL
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2013, 10:00:12 AM »
Alaina, I agree about endurance depending on the dog.  No doubt they can handle physical demands better if they get a lot of exercise a lot of the time.  But not all Schnauzer owners can provide those kinds of exercise opportunities for their dogs and I do suspect that unless they're conditioned to a lot of exercise, they might not have the stamina of at least some other breeds. 

Before I moved to the new house, where Suki now has a good sized back yard and a doggie door, I had this fantasy that once we moved she'd be outside all the time, running across the grass, happy and thrilled to be able to run and jump freely and at will instead of only being able to go outside tethered on a leash on walks with me.

Well -- LOL -- THAT illusion has had to fall by the wayside.  Miss Sook-a-Looks is every bit as much of a couch potato here as she was in the other house.  Her favorite spot is her crate in my bedroom, which is placed next to the French doors that open out onto the backyard.  She can keep an eye out onto the backyard for Squirrel Invaders without having to budge from her crate!

I've found that what Suki really likes is to go out with ME.  If I open the doors and step out into the back yard, she's there in a flash, running down the stairs out into the yard, tail wagging like crazy.  But when I turn around and go back inside, Suki almost invariably follows me back in within a matter of seconds.

And when she gets burst of energy, does she use the doggie door to go outside where she can run free, across the grass?  I wish!  Instead, she always comes looking for me and starts poking me with her nose or jumping up and down to get my attention so that I will put her on a leash and take her out for a walk! 

Schnauzers!! 
Suki, female S&P Miniature Schnauzer, b. April 28, 2011

Offline Alaina

• Member since 2010
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2013, 10:29:00 AM »
Alaina, I agree about endurance depending on the dog.  No doubt they can handle physical demands better if they get a lot of exercise a lot of the time.  But not all Schnauzer owners can provide those kinds of exercise opportunities for their dogs and I do suspect that unless they're conditioned to a lot of exercise, they might not have the stamina of at least some other breeds. 

Before I moved to the new house, where Suki now has a good sized back yard and a doggie door, I had this fantasy that once we moved she'd be outside all the time, running across the grass, happy and thrilled to be able to run and jump freely and at will instead of only being able to go outside tethered on a leash on walks with me.

Well -- LOL -- THAT illusion has had to fall by the wayside.  Miss Sook-a-Looks is every bit as much of a couch potato here as she was in the other house.  Her favorite spot is her crate in my bedroom, which is placed next to the French doors that open out onto the backyard.  She can keep an eye out onto the backyard for Squirrel Invaders without having to budge from her crate!

I've found that what Suki really likes is to go out with ME.  If I open the doors and step out into the back yard, she's there in a flash, running down the stairs out into the yard, tail wagging like crazy.  But when I turn around and go back inside, Suki almost invariably follows me back in within a matter of seconds.

And when she gets burst of energy, does she use the doggie door to go outside where she can run free, across the grass?  I wish!  Instead, she always comes looking for me and starts poking me with her nose or jumping up and down to get my attention so that I will put her on a leash and take her out for a walk! 

Schnauzers!! 

I completely agree, Debby.  Our dogs would much rather be with us than anything.  If we are home, they are always by our side. 

Gracie has a ton of energy and loves to go on walks.  Livie likes to go on short walks.  They both love to cuddle up with us when sitting around the house too. 

I did not mean to imply they could go for miles and miles, at least our mini's never went that far.

I have a friend that runs with her mini  :Schnauzer: 's every day.  She has one that loves to run and one that she really had to push to go with her. 
Alaina and the Girls:
Olivia - Black mini, 12 yrs., 11/30/2001, 15 lb
Gracie - S&P standard, 7 yrs., 09/03/2007, 32 lb
In memory:  Tilly - 1994 to 2007

Offline Bob SD

• Member since 2012
  • Black Hills of South Dakota
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2013, 04:16:05 PM »
I am assuming you are combining your work out with you dog, and that sounds good, but.

It may only be my mini=schnauzers, the male likes to walk fast, and the  female is slower likes to investigate. So I take them out individually, and boy do I end up with the best work out not by choice.  I time my walks not the distance. It seems to me just walking at a steady pace, they do not enjoy the walk.  They both Like  to stop and smell, p, and just look at something that caught their interest. Then we carry on. I had a neighbor that would walk her lab around the circle, we live on like an island is surrounded by a dirt road goes around us. She would walk at a very fast pace and never let her dog stop once, and you can tell the dog wanted to take a leak, or just take a second to smell. I just feel part of taking dogs out for a walk jog, stopping at various intervals makes for a more exciting walk for dogs?  Oh, when My dogs really get a work out, they are off leash so they can go full speed, and they do especially when some one is passing by our fenced  yard.  The only time I ever carry my dogs back, is when they go into deep snow, and then decide oh oh, I went too far!lolo
Schatzi, female Miniature Schnauzer, 11 years old and my sweetheart
Doc, male Miniature Schnauzer, 13 years old, R.I.P.