Author Topic: Green Tripe for feeding or side dish?  (Read 783 times)

Offline Aleksander

• Member since 2013
  • Brooklyn, NY
Green Tripe for feeding or side dish?
« on: December 13, 2013, 07:59:33 AM »
Someone recommended me Green Tripe to get for Rooney....

Anyone ever test this out?  they say it's REALLY beneficial to a dogs health.
Rooney - 3/18/2013 Bday
Black & Silver Miniature Schnauzer <3

Offline Alison Q

• Member since 2013
  • Channel Islands, UK
Re: Green Tripe for feeding or side dish?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 09:48:21 AM »
Its normally fed as part of a raw diet. Its very good for the digestive system as it has lots of probiotics, enzymes, vitamins and amino acids. It is very gentle for dogs with sensitive tums and is quite often given to pups being weaned onto raw diet. Fed regularly it can also help bulk up a dogs weight if needed. It has to be the green tripe not the bleached type humans eat otherwise it will have no benefits for the dog. Be warned if you get some it stinks  :grin: :wink:
Out of interest why has it been recommended for Rooney?
Barney, male white Miniature Schnauzer, born February 6, 2013

Offline Robin G

• Member since 2012
  • Arizona
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 05:48:31 PM »
I highly recommend it.  Yes it must be the green tripe not the bleached.  It's good for dogs.  It is stinky.  We used to bag it & freeze it.  I liked to feed it 2-3 times a week.  When if we had a sick or injured dog, we thaw out the green tripe & would often feed the water off of it as it thawed.  Very normal for a dog to eat & very healthy.  I feed it to my teenie tiny dogs all the way up to my big working dogs but of course we had to cut it down for the littles.
Poochie, Female black Giant Schnauzer, 3 years old

Offline Peter

• Founder 2008
  • Pet Partners Instructor, Vancouver, WA
    • Dog Tricks Video
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 01:01:31 PM »
:shocked:
Mukaluka Dirtypaws, male black Miniature Schnauzer, 11/09/07, 15-1/8", 17.5 lb (goal) [medical]
Pukalu, male S&P Miniature Schnauzer, 03/27/10, 15", 15.5 lb (goal) [medical]
Also: About Peter ~ Our Therapy Dog Work ~ Our Tricks Video ~ Muka's Scrapbook

Offline Ellie

• Member since 2012
  • San Francisco, CA
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 02:50:37 PM »
Amen Peter, I think I turned green when I read this.

Ellie
McCovey, female S&P Miniature Schnauzer, 10/22/12
DiMaggio, male Golden Retriever RIP buddy

Offline Beth

• Member since 2011
  • Jacksonville, FL
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 06:13:03 PM »
I feed raw and yes it is very good for them, but it smells sooooooo bad.  I just can't do it
Buddee ( salt/pepper ) 9-5-05 chief couch potato
Teebone ( salt/pepper) 6-9-05 "the boss"
Sunny- (salt/pepper) 7-22-08 AKC GCh and lure coursing CA
Eli (black/silver) 3-23-08-my most loyal companion
Levi (salt/pepper) 6-2-10 born on my birthday! Owner handled AKC Grand Champion ( WooHoo)
FeeBee salt/pepper female born 4-14-03  fostered 6-17-13 adopted 7-26-13
Tiffee female salt/pepper born 7/22/13-on her father Sunny's birthday

Offline Robin G

• Member since 2012
  • Arizona
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 06:44:08 PM »
lol, it's really not so bad.  It's stinky but provides super goodies for their gut.  I have always had it as a side dish to the meal but my dogs eat raw.  If you feed kibble I'd feed tripe by itself.
Poochie, Female black Giant Schnauzer, 3 years old

Offline Sophia

• Member since 2013
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 07:15:30 PM »
Yes!!

If you feed kibble, it is recommended (though I'm not totally sure why) to feed the kibble separate from the tripe or any other raw food thing you want to add to the diet.

My trainer friend and I make our own raw food, and it already smells bad, so by the time we add the tripe, our noses have already died from skinning the rabbits. When we started the transition to raw, we did start with the canned green tripe in a can from Pet Supermarket as a side, then slowly mixed in the raw and fed less kibble at dinner.
Mikah, male S&P Miniature Schnauzer, born September 30, 2013

Offline Alison Q

• Member since 2013
  • Channel Islands, UK
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2013, 12:50:59 AM »
Yes!!

If you feed kibble, it is recommended (though I'm not totally sure why) to feed the kibble separate from the tripe or any other raw food thing you want to add to the diet.

My trainer friend and I make our own raw food, and it already smells bad, so by the time we add the tripe, our noses have already died from skinning the rabbits. When we started the transition to raw, we did start with the canned green tripe in a can from Pet Supermarket as a side, then slowly mixed in the raw and fed less kibble at dinner.
You shouldn't feed kibble and raw food in the same meal as they digest at different rates. Kibble takes around 16 hours and raw is around half that time (I think from memory) So it can mean runny poos if fed at the same time as part of the meal hasn't had time to full digest. This is why some people say a raw diet upset their dogs tum when they introduced raw, they just weren't introducing it the right way :wink:
We can just buy small frozen blocks or freeflow frozen tripe mince over here no tinned.
Barney, male white Miniature Schnauzer, born February 6, 2013