Member Countries:                                                      

Author Topic: Where to Buy FRONTLINE Plus and Heartgard Plus  (Read 5381 times)

Offline Peter

• Administrator
  • Pet Partners Instructor, Vancouver, WA
    • Dog Tricks Video
Where to Buy FRONTLINE Plus and Heartgard Plus
« on: April 08, 2010, 05:58:24 PM »
I'm shopping around and thought I'd share what I found and see if anyone else can come up with anything better.

• If you know of any other good sources, please share them with us.

• Please send me a PM if you find that the prices I list are no longer current.

• Please limit the discussion in this topic to where to find these products, and discuss their use in other topics. For example, see:  Buddy reacts to Frontline, what else is good?

Saving Money with Larger Sizes:  It was suggested to me to buy a size for a larger dog and use it over a few months. You use a hypodermic needle (bought at a drug store) to remove the fluid, then seal the hole you made to extract it. I haven't bothered with that yet, but now that I will have two dogs, I am buying the next size up and splitting it between the two dogs. It's almost the same price, so it's two for one!

Coupons:  Before ordering from any company, do a web search for the product and/or the company you are buying from. Very often you will be able to find a coupon in the form of a discount code you can use when ordering.

My Apologies:  I realize that our forum members have minis and standards and giants, and live in many different countries. But to be practical, the following prices are based on products made to be sold in the US for small dogs.

FRONTLINE Plus - Up to 22 lb - 0.67 ml   Qty 3   Qty 6   Qty 12   S&H  As Of    
vetshoponline.com28.9548.9595.95?05/13/10
costco.com33.9967.98135.96Free04/16/10
drsfostersmith.com36.9971.99139.99Free04/16/10
petedge.com37.9971.99143.98?04/16/10
totalpetsupply.com32.9952.99103.99?04/16/10
vetrxdirect.com40.9976.99145.99Free04/16/10
1800petmeds.com41.9977.99150.98Free04/16/10

FRONTLINE Plus - 23 to 44 lb - 1.34 ml   Qty 3   Qty 6   Qty 12   S&H  As Of    
vetshoponline.com30.9551.95101.95?05/13/10
costco.com34.9969.98139.96Free04/08/10
drsfostersmith.com37.9973.99143.99Free04/16/10
petedge.com38.4973.99147.98?04/16/10
totalpetsupply.com34.9953.99105.99?04/16/10
vetrxdirect.com40.9977.99149.99Free04/16/10
1800petmeds.com42.9980.99156.98Free04/16/10

Prices appearing in green are based on quantities available. For example, Amazon does not sell the product in a quantity of 12, so I doubled the price for a quantity of 6.

Heartgard Plus - Up to 25 lb   Qty 3   Qty 6   Qty 12   S&H  As Of    
vetshoponline.comna22.9544.95?05/13/10
drsfostersmith.comna25.4447.88Free04/16/10
totalpetsupply.comna28.0054.00?04/16/10
vetrxdirect.comna25.9947.99?04/16/10
1800petmeds.comna26.9949.99?04/16/10

Generic for HeartGard Plus:  The following Ezine @rticle addresses generics and the need to be sure that any product you purchase is FDA approved:

Generic Heartgard by Jean Everett Myers

Another article, found on the Doctors Foster and Smith website, discusses generics and recommends Tri-Heart Plus as a generic for Heartgard Plus.

About Generic Pet and Equine Prescriptions

Saving Money with Larger Sizes:  I will also be splitting two Tri-Heart Plus tablets between two dogs so I'm listing the next size up as well.

Tri-Heart Plus - Up to 25 lb   Qty 3   Qty 6   Qty 12   S&H  As Of    
drsfostersmith.comna14.9429.88Free04/18/10
totalpetsupply.comna17.0026.00?04/18/10
vetrxdirect.comna15.9929.99?04/18/10

Tri-Heart Plus - 26 to 50 lb   Qty 3   Qty 6   Qty 12   S&H  As Of    
drsfostersmith.comna22.1444.28Free04/18/10
totalpetsupply.comna22.0036.00?04/18/10
vetrxdirect.comna22.9943.99?04/18/10

Peter
Mukaluka Dirtypaws, male black Miniature Schnauzer, 11/09/07, 15-1/8", 17.0 lb (goal) [medical]
Pukalu, male S&P Miniature Schnauzer, 03/27/10, 15", 15.5 lb (goal) [medical]
Also: About Peter ~ Our Therapy Dog Work ~ Our Tricks Video ~ Muka's Scrapbook

Offline Annette

• Member since 2010
  • Elizabethton, TN
    • Ask A True Veterinarian!
Re: Where to Buy FRONTLINE Plus and Heartgard Plus
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 12:01:59 PM »
I bought my Frontline Plus off of the website http://www.jnsenterprises.com/product_p/fl_plus_12pk_orange.htm

For a 12 month supply it is only $94.99 (1-22 pounds).  When I ordered, I thought it was an American company, but when I received the Frontline, it actually came from Australia.
Kaizer- NM-Miniature-S&P-DOB-1/20/09
Kyra- SF-Miniature-B&S -DOB- 1/20/09

"The more people I meet, the more I like my dog." ~Unknown

"Handle every stressful situation like a dog.  If you can't eat it or play with it....then just pee on it and walk away"

Offline Peter

• Administrator
    • Dog Tricks Video
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 12:13:18 PM »
Good price! Maybe I'll order it too, but I think I'll phone Merial again to confirm.

When I got the Australian product last time, Merial said it was the same formula. That was of concern for me, as I thought there could have been a different formula either because the "bugs" are different "down under," or they have different laws about selling poisons (these meds are poisons).

They also said that they couldn't guarantee the standards under which it was manufactured, at least not to US standards. That would have concerned me if it were China, but not Australia.

Peter
Mukaluka Dirtypaws, male black Miniature Schnauzer, 11/09/07, 15-1/8", 17.0 lb (goal) [medical]

Offline Von

• Member since 2010
  • Hockinson, WA
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 08:26:32 AM »
I buy Heartgard from my vet who told me if your dog gets worms while on Heartgard, Heartgard will pay the cost of treatment.   Not sure what that would entail, but wonder if the same guarantee applies if the product is bought by an independent vendor?  Or maybe the guarantee isn't a big deal because the treatment is fairly inexpensive?  Of course, I pay for the required annual heartworm testing ($35). 

Glad to hear the discussion on Frontline.  I hate using it on Zoe because she becomes 'toxic dog' for a week while the stuff is on her.  Soooo...I switched to Comfortis which is an oral.  She used to eat it (she'll eat almost anything), but now I have to mix it with her food.  It seems to work well and is super convenient.  Does anyone else have experience with it? 

Here are the prices I pay at the vet:
Product                         Qty        Price
Heartgard Blue (0-25#)      6       $25.99
Comfortis Green (20-40#)   6       $78.99 (you can sometimes get a coupon or one free dose with the purchase of 6 mos)

Offline Peter

• Administrator
    • Dog Tricks Video
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 11:23:10 AM »
As I noted at the top of the page, it really would be helpful to discuss other products under other topics so that others will be able to benefit from them. Most people will come to this topic looking for pricing information.

BennyBear,

Thanks, but I didn't say anything about cutting Heartgard.

I don't agree at all that generics are bad. What's bad is bad drugs, generic or not. I believe the two articles I linked to at the top of the page cover this topic. And yes, there are some bad generics out there.

If you think Tri-Heart Plus is "bad," please tell us why.

Von,

I believe that heartworm is a very serious disease. Not like other worms that can quickly be eliminated. That's why all the fuss about it.

Peter

Offline Peter

• Administrator
    • Dog Tricks Video
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 03:46:35 PM »
BennyBear,

Oh, sorry. I was thinking of the generic tablet I used last year. Yes, I had to cut the Heartgard Plus product up or he'd just vomit it. I don't know why it hurts to cut it up since they are made to be chewed. But if I can't cut it up, I can't use it.

Let's talk about what generics are. A company does a lot of research and produces a product. It's patented, and they are the only one that can make it until the patent runs out. They charge a whole lot of money for their product, which isn't such an unfair thing. I say that because they did all the research to invent the product and if we don't pay a good price for it to pay them back, companies will stop doing such research and improving our health. (I say "our," because what I am saying applies to both meds for people and dogs.)

After the patent expires, anyone can make the product and these are called generics. I've been taking one for many years, and just developed another problem and started on a second one. I got my first prescription at Costco, but then found it was actually cheaper at my supermarket. So I got my second prescription there. When I went to get my third, the pharmacist pointed out that they switched to a new manufacturer, but not to worry because it was the identical medication.

But whether I was buying the original, more expensive product, or any one of the three generics I'd used, it was all the same medicine.

To categorically say that generics are bad for dogs doesn't make any sense to me.

What is possible, as is explained in the article I link to, above, is that there are some poor quality meds out there. And since they wouldn't be sold by the company that did the researched and invented the med, they would be generics. But that just tells us that we have to be careful about who manufacturers the product. And I'm sure pet med manufacturers aren't monitored as well as people med manufacturers are.

So... granted, there are going to be some bad generics out there. And if you avoid generics completely, you will avoid them. I'll grant you that.

But I object to the statement that generics as a category are bad for dogs, or people.

Tri-Heart Plus is FDA licensed, and I have decided to try it. I'll let you know if my dog dies.

:wink:

Peter

P.S.

For others reading this... BennyBear and I are both very outspoken, so don't think we're upset with each other. We do this all the time!

Offline Annette

• Member since 2010
  • Elizabethton, TN
    • Ask A True Veterinarian!
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 07:50:54 AM »

Yes, I had to cut the Heartgard Plus product up or he'd just vomit it. I don't know why it hurts to cut it up since they are made to be chewed. But if I can't cut it up, I can't use it.

Sorry to stay off topic, but here is a link to the heartgard chewables.  It seems to be ok to cut them up..

"ADMINISTRATION: Remove only one Chewable at a time from the foil-backed
blister card. Return the card with the remaining Chewables to the box to protect the
product from light. Because most dogs find HEARTGARD Chewables palatable, the
product can be offered to the dog by hand. Alternatively, it may be added to a small
amount of dog food. The Chewable should be administered in a manner that
encourages the dog to chew, rather than to swallow without chewing. Chewables
may be broken into pieces and fed to dogs that normally swallow treats whole."
http://heartgard.us.merial.com/pdf/Dog_information.pdf
Kaizer- NM-Miniature-S&P-DOB-1/20/09
Kyra- SF-Miniature-B&S -DOB- 1/20/09

"The more people I meet, the more I like my dog." ~Unknown

"Handle every stressful situation like a dog.  If you can't eat it or play with it....then just pee on it and walk away"

Offline Akvile

• Member since 2009
  • Bothell, WA
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 10:56:23 AM »
I just get mine from the vet since it saves a trip to get it elsewhere and my vet bill is covered by pet insurance, making it ok to spend the little bit extra on meds.. however stuff like frontline isn't covered (like other meds are) since it's preventative stuff...but I wouldn't get generic stuff like that for my pets...want to make sure their little bodies are taken care of.

Thanks for mentioning about the "not cutting" pills and what it can do. I don't do that..but foor FYI stuff ..thanks Benny.
~*~*Buddy's Mommy*~*~

Offline Peter

• Administrator
    • Dog Tricks Video
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 11:09:03 AM »
Everyone should do what they think is right, but I think everytime someone implies that generics are of lower quality I won't be able to resist a counter-reply:

"generics are considered (by the FDA) identical in dose, strength, route of administration, safety, efficacy, and intended use"

Source:  Generic Drug

If someone wants to buy the original product because they trust the company that makes it, and they don't know about the companies making the generics, then that's a different matter. But that's about trusting the manufacturer, not the fact that the product is a generic.

Peter

BennyBear

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 03:43:30 AM »
Peter- i'm just trying to point out THESE particular drugs. Biospot, Sargents (or something similar to that name), and HARTZ.   They are KNOWN killers.  Before i worked here i knew about the fatalities with those! I worked in a retail store that SOLD those medications. And, we never told people to buy them. We always said 'buy from your vet!' because i worked with one of the girls that had three of her animals die on biospot. then we looked into it.  Found out it happened a lot more than we ever would've imagined. 

Now, generic worming medication in stores does help some people. However, due to the reputation, i avoid anything made by Hartz. ANYTHING.  because if they don't care about killing my dog, i'm not buying their products.   

Offline Peter

• Administrator
    • Dog Tricks Video
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 09:27:05 AM »
BennyBear, I was referring to this:

but I wouldn't get generic stuff like that for my pets...want to make sure their little bodies are taken care of.

I just don't like promoting the concept that all generics are bad.

Peter

Offline Debbie

• Member since 2009
  • Buckley, WA
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2010, 09:29:48 AM »
Kind of off topic, but I bought Jetson's Advantage at the local feed store, my VET doesn't carry it. We live in a little town with not many business and I always try to buy local whenever possible, either in Buckley or next door in Enumclaw and it is also easy and convenient for me. 4 months worth was $49.99.
The Dog is the God of Frolic
Jetson ~ Black and Silver Mini DOB: 8-28-2009
19.3 pounds

Offline Peter

• Administrator
    • Dog Tricks Video
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2010, 01:00:52 PM »
I made some significant updates to the top of the page, including but not limited to:

• I removed Amazon from my pricing charts because I think it's just too much of a bother to deal with all the dealers selling through Amazon, and wondering just what product you will actually receive. Last year I got a generic that way, to my surprise.

• I added pricing for the next size up for FONTLINE Plus. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it's about the same price. So now with two dogs, I can split a dose... two for the price of one!

• I suppose I was the last to know, but you can search the web for coupons before buying just about anything. I found a 10% off coupon for TotalPetSupply.

Peter

Offline Debbie

• Member since 2009
  • Buckley, WA
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2010, 02:02:28 PM »
Advantage, Debbie, is a good product. but, it doesn't do ticks. it's only for fleas.   Advantix does fleas.  ALSO- HUGE new deal too, with Bayer, they just started doing a new promotion that i actually have seen in our local petsmart, and we are honoring it at our clinic as well. buy 4 months of advantage or advantix get 1 month free.  So that's 5.  Buy 6 months of ADVANTIX get 2 DOSES FREE!  that's a really good deal, and advantix (in my opinion) is the best!  We've seen the least amount of reactions with advantix than any other brand.   Go look if you're shopping for flea/tick. i highly recommend it. It's a great brand, and the coverage actually works! :grin:  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
We don't have a tick problem around here, but I sure will keep it in mind.
The Dog is the God of Frolic
Jetson ~ Black and Silver Mini DOB: 8-28-2009
19.3 pounds

BennyBear

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2010, 08:08:50 AM »
that's great!   Did you get the new deal of buy a 4 pack and get one free?!