Author Topic: White hair in B&S puppy coat  (Read 338 times)

Offline Dagmar

• Member since 2017
  • Vancouver, WA
    • Dagmar Woltereck Photography and Pet Services
White hair in B&S puppy coat
« on: April 26, 2017, 04:54:46 PM »
Hey gang, sorry I have been absent, had lots of stuff going on in my life, some good, some not so good, as it always goes right?!
I did sign up for the daily email in the beginning of my registration here but for some reason they seized coming. So today, after rolling Aria's coat, I decided to post another question.
Now that I am rolling her coat consistently on a weekly basis, also use the Ande's deshedder, love that thing! I have noticed white hair coming through her coat, it's not patchy but just here and there and especially on her upper thighs on both sides. Her body too has white hair here and there, probably something I could pull with a tweezer, I am sure it's common, but wanted to double check.
Also, I am curious, do people who roll coats strip the pups faces, ears and necks as well or do they clipper these areas? I guess what I am getting at is, do people roll the body and clipper the head?
Aria and I are registered for a barn hunt workshop in May, I am looking forward to that and being the newbie that I am to that activity I am curious, if there are others here who take their dogs to barn hunts, I know Karen Brittain does, seen her dogs on the roster :D this is just a workshop to introduce the pup to barn hunting, but is there anything I should keep in mind?
Off to check my settings so that I can get my daily emails again!!!
Aria, female B&S Miniature Schnauzer, born October 25, 2016

Offline Karen Brittan

• Member since 2014
  • Miniature Schnauzer Breeder, Minnesota
    • Britmor Schnauzers
Re: White hair in B&S puppy coat
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 12:42:08 PM »
Yes, white hairs can be common thoughout the coats of some blacks and black and silvers. They can be removed with tweezers (I have a pair that function like scissors, but really are tweezers.)
https://www.amazon.com/beaute-Tsuru-BT-237-Professional/dp/B0040078RY/ref=sr_1_6_s_it?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1493320247&sr=1-6&keywords=scissor+tweezers

Removing these hairs doesn't matter, except maybe if one is showing the dog in conformation. And then maybe one might want to leave one hair to show the judge that you did not dye the dog ::grin::

If I am showing the dog, ALL black areas are stripped (silver areas are not). Legs won't matter on a black and silver, but I do rake through the legs on the blacks to keep that dark hair coming so that they don't lighten up with time. I will say, though, that black color is holding better on all the dogs here since I started feeding Diamond Naturals Chicken and Rice kibble.

Yes, when I am rolling a coat, I will take something like a coarse stripping knife to the top of the head once a week and pull off everything the knife will remove.

The barn hunter in this house is my daughter Katie. I've gone to watch, but it really isn't much of a viewer sport.
Britmor Miniature Schnauzers
http://britmorschnauzers.com
Minnesota, USA

Pedigree indicates what the animal should be.
 Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be.
  But performance indicates what the animal actually is.
                           -Author Unknown-

Offline Dagmar

• Member since 2017
  • Vancouver, WA
    • Dagmar Woltereck Photography and Pet Services
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 05:21:18 PM »
Hi Karen and thank you for your response  :grin: I have pulled some of her white hair hehe, it's just pure vanity, she doesn't show, decided not to because I didn't want to crop her ears. My breeder said, in response to my question if Amercians show uncropped ears in the ring, that they generally don't place well, but for some reason Canadians do.
Her coat is starting to lose the puppy fluff and is growing in coarse, except on her chest where we have clippered her once, but I guess I'll stop doing that now too. She's very opposed to having anything to do with getting her head stripped, I can get the undercoat out ok with the small andes tool but as far as plucking, well, top of the head she allows, around the ears and heaven forbid eyes or closer to the cheek, nuh uh, we aren't having that at all, period. I am a clicker trainer and even with that and working with her frequently she's still says "NO WAY" to stripping her head lol I guess I'll just keep plucking away for a lack of better words and pun intended.
We are going to Newberg OR for a barn hunt workshop, we'll see what happens, but she's a keen sniffer and rarely ever has her nose off the ground, especially outside, which, I suppose, doesn't really mean much especially considering she's never been on a hay or straw bale before or around a lot of activity. We are doing this for fun, if she takes to it great, if not then good too. I just want to do something with my puppers, earth dog came to mind too, will look into that depending on how the barn hunt situation works out! And I agree, barn hunts aren't really a spectator sport.
Interesting about the diamond dog food, I have her on Life's Abundance grain free, a high quality dogfood, I am kind of reluctant to switch until she's fully grown up and out, which is still a little ways since she's only 6 months old now
Thanks again  :cool:
Aria, female B&S Miniature Schnauzer, born October 25, 2016

Offline Robin G

• Member since 2012
  • Arkansas ~~The Ox is slow but the Earth is patient
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 07:54:12 AM »
My all black Giant gets the occasional white hair. I notice this happens less when she's got kelp added to her diet but still gets an occasional wild white hair :)
Poochie, Female black Giant Schnauzer, 6 years old

Offline Rock

• Member since 2016
  • Houjie, Dongguan, China
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 07:38:59 PM »

Ahh......yes.  The Wild Hair syndrome.

I have several cures for the WHS. 
1.) Call some of my buddies and we go do something stupid.
2.) Take a long high speed motorcycle ride on a non-straight road.
3.) Look at my bank account.

One of these usually cures WHS.  Mostly #3.

:grin: :grin:
Shadow, male Salt & Pepper (mostly Pepper) Miniature Schnauzer, born May 3, 2016

Offline Alaina

• Member since 2010
  • Clarkston, WA
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2017, 07:09:12 PM »
Dagmar, just curious why you put your pup through the pain of tweezing or pulling, since you don't show.  If she is sensitive around her face, why not just trim it?  Sorry, couldn't help myself, had to ask.

I've always had a sensitive head and remember my mom and beauticians pulling my hair and hurting my scalp, so I'm a little more sensitive with my girls.
Alaina and the Girls:
Gracie - S&P standard, 9 yrs., 09/03/2007, 34 lbs
Millie - S&P standard, 9 mths,, 06/16/2016, 30 lbs
In memory: 
Olivia - Black mini, 14.5 yrs, 11/30/2001 - 5/2/2016 - R.I.P.
Tilly - 1994 to 2007

Offline Karen Brittan

• Member since 2014
  • Miniature Schnauzer Breeder, Minnesota
    • Britmor Schnauzers
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 09:34:51 AM »
My very first schnauzer was a black and silver. I took a grooming class through Twin Cities Miniature Schnauzer Club and learned how to clip Greta.... and listened to how to strip a dog and all the ins-and-outs of both.

A couple years passed, and Greta's black and silver color began to lighten. I was very upset by that and got mad. "I wanted a black and silver, I bought a black and silver, and I WILL HAVE A BLACK AND SILVER!!!!"..... and so I began stripping Greta out. She really did have great color, and I LOVED the feel of her hard coat. By the way, Greta had very little pain sensitivity and was never bothered by her hair being pulled out. She made the perfect dog to learn on.

Two generations later I was showing my first dog in conformation..... and Sunny became the first black and silver to achieve a Best in Show. Sunny was the dog I learned to roll coat on.

By the way, to test your dog's pain sensitivity, using your thumb and index finger, hold them around the skin between two of your dog's toes and gradually apply increasing pressure as you count, "a thousand one, a thousand two, a thousand three", etc. and when the dog tries to pull its foot away from you, that is the dog's pain sensitivity level. I have had some pulling away when I got to 2, and most are a little bit higher, but Greta was one who never reacted.

Most coat colors will lighten when they are clipped, because hair is generally finer closer to the skin, and that finer hair can be lighter in color.
Britmor Miniature Schnauzers
http://britmorschnauzers.com
Minnesota, USA

Pedigree indicates what the animal should be.
 Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be.
  But performance indicates what the animal actually is.
                           -Author Unknown-