Member Countries:                                                      

Author Topic: dry flaky skin, losing hair, advice needed  (Read 4647 times)

Offline Derek

• Member since 2009
  • New Orleans, LA
dry flaky skin, losing hair, advice needed
« on: May 01, 2010, 07:39:39 PM »
Hi All, I noticed today that my Trevor has a patch of dry flaky skin around his eye and it looks like he's pawing at it and the hair is thinning around this area. He also gets these little bumps just above his tail that end up becoming flaky and come off. He also has a spot on one of his legs that he has either nawed or lick clean to the skin about the size of a pencil eraser in diameter. I see some people using the V3 capsules. Anyone want to take a stab at a cause/remedy?
Thanks,
Derek
Always remember that you are unique....just like everyone else.

Offline Debbie

• Member since 2009
  • Buckley, WA
Re: dry flaky skin, losing hair, advice needed
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 07:13:11 AM »
Our Scotty had skin problems the last couple of years of her life and we never did find out what is was. There are so many different kinds of skin problems with dogs. The first thing our Vet did was check her thyroid function, an easy thing to rule out via a blood test.

I also used to give her baths with a good Oatmeal shampoo, that is so good for skin problems of many kinds.

Good luck and let us know what you find out or if it gets better.
The Dog is the God of Frolic
Jetson ~ Black and Silver Mini DOB: 8-28-2009
19.3 pounds

Offline Annette

• Member since 2010
  • Elizabethton, TN
    • Ask A True Veterinarian!
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 10:31:37 AM »
Hello,

I won't take a stab at the cause because it could be many things, including allergies, hotspot on his leg, or something more serious.

My two had itchy, flaky skin and I started them on fish oil.  It helped tremendously, especially with the dandruff.

If it is close to his eye and he is scratching at it, you may want to get him a quick check-up at the vets and get their recommendation.  You don't want him to do damage to his eyeball.

Annette
Kaizer- NM-Miniature-S&P-DOB-1/20/09
Kyra- SF-Miniature-B&S -DOB- 1/20/09

"The more people I meet, the more I like my dog." ~Unknown

"Handle every stressful situation like a dog.  If you can't eat it or play with it....then just pee on it and walk away"

Offline Akvile

• Member since 2009
  • Bothell, WA
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 11:39:02 AM »
Could be a number of things... allergy, infection, hotspot...

I would see your vet, then you can treat your dog properly and not waste time with him being uncomfortable. hope its nothing too serious! keep us posted :)
~*~*Buddy's Mommy*~*~

BennyBear

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 05:30:23 PM »
I would say see the vet- because that could be tons of different things. 

Offline Alaina

• Member since 2010
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 06:26:36 PM »
I agree with everyone else, I would take him to the vet.
Alaina and the Girls:
Olivia - Black mini, 12 yrs., 11/30/2001, 15 lb
Gracie - S&P standard, 7 yrs., 09/03/2007, 32 lb
In memory:  Tilly - 1994 to 2007

Offline Angie S

• Member since 2009
  • Gretna, LA
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 06:39:47 AM »

My two had itchy, flaky skin and I started them on fish oil.  It helped tremendously, especially with the dandruff.

Annette

Annette, how do you administer the fish oil? Is it something you put in their food? Or somethingyou get them to swallow?
LaRoux, female S&P Miniature Schnauzer, born April 14, 2013
Nessie, female S&P Miniature Schnauzer, August 15, 2009 to April 16, 2013 R.I.P.

Offline Annette

• Member since 2010
  • Elizabethton, TN
    • Ask A True Veterinarian!
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 12:39:59 PM »
With my two little ones, I just squirt it on their food.  They'll eat anything.  I use the Seapet Fish Oil because they test it for  heavy metals, PCBs, furans, dioxin and other toxins.
http://www.nutra-9.com/seapetomega3fishoil200w/naturalvitamine32ozspecialorder.aspx

With my previous schnauzer, I used to buy Omega Mint Fish Oil Gel Caps because they didn't smell fishy at all.  I would cut a hole in it and suck the oil out with a syringe.  Then I had to syringe it into her mouth.  She wouldn't eat anything that had medicine in it.

If you want to just buy a gel cap and can get your pup to eat it (definitely the cheaper way), I'm sure it would be fine.  Just be sure to not get the fish oil on your clothes or your carpet, it stains pretty bad.

Annette
Kaizer- NM-Miniature-S&P-DOB-1/20/09
Kyra- SF-Miniature-B&S -DOB- 1/20/09

"The more people I meet, the more I like my dog." ~Unknown

"Handle every stressful situation like a dog.  If you can't eat it or play with it....then just pee on it and walk away"