Author Topic: Keeping Schnauzer Beards Clean  (Read 31068 times)

Offline Peter

• Founder 2008
  • Pet Partners Instructor, Vancouver, WA
    • Dog Tricks Video
Keeping Schnauzer Beards Clean
« on: May 25, 2010, 08:18:16 AM »
Length:  I just love showing off my Schnauzers, and I just love it when I'm walking through the park and I hear a kid tell their mom, "Look at the doggie with the beard!" And of course I consider it an invitation to say hello, and perform some tricks for them.

Drinking Water:  I use a no-spill water bowl on the kitchen floor, and a water bottle in the pen where I leave them when I'm away. So they always have drinking water.

The no-spill bowl helps keep their beards out of the water. It also helps when I accidentally kick it and it would otherwise send water flying across the kitchen floor.

I keep a towel on the kitchen floor, and grab it with my foot and run it over any water I see that was dripped on the floor. And when I see them drink, I wipe their beards with the towel. I also keep a washcloth by my recliner for the same purpose, so that when they come prancing into the living room with beards dripping I can wipe them and dry them at least a little.

The bowl's available from PetSmart, and the bottle's available from PetCo.

Feeding:  Even though I feed my Schnauzers dry kibble, after they would eat it from a bowl the bowl would be very wet with saliva. And with all the loose particles from the kibble, it makes a messy kind of gravy which ends up all over their beards.

My solution is to feed them their kibble on a white washcloth, white so I can tell when it's dirty. It keeps the saliva from forming this messy "gravy." It works great!

Washing their Beards:  After breakfast every morning, after I brush their teeth, I wash their beards with a warm, wet washcloth then dry them with a towel. And they get a bath every week minimum, necessary because Muka's a therapy dog visiting hospitals.

Brushing:  I brush my Schnauzers daily, and I believe that this does a lot to keep their beards clean, too. I use a slicker brush, but after doing their beard I run a comb through it. The comb makes it easier to part the beard above the nose, and if I've missed a tangle, it will find it!

Sour Beard:  Have you ever had a sponge or dishcloth turn sour at the kitchen sink? No amount of soap and hot water will get the smell out. And after using it, you can't even get the smell off your hands with soap and water.

I discovered that this happens to Schnauzer beards, too, and I think it is often misdiagnosed as bad breath. Or just a dirty dog, and a bath doesn't get rid of it!

I asked my chemist friend about it, and he told me that baking soda would neutralize the smell. It's amazing!

I'm not sure there's a perfect formula, but I dissolve about half a teaspoon in a cup of warm water then lightly rinse out a washcloth in it and wipe the beard, generously wetting it.

I have been amazed that this problem but rarely comes up in this forum. Perhaps most people do just think it's bad breath or a dirty dog. I know that my vet was thrilled to hear of the simple solution.

Peter
Mukaluka Dirtypaws, male black Miniature Schnauzer, 11/09/07, 15-1/8", 17.5 lb (goal) [medical]
Pukalu, male S&P Miniature Schnauzer, 03/27/10, 15", 15.5 lb (goal) [medical]
Also: About Peter ~ Our Therapy Dog Work ~ Our Tricks Video ~ Muka's Scrapbook

Offline MicheleZ

• Member since 2009
  • Mondamin, IA
    • Grady and Izzy's Website
Re: Keeping Schnauzer Beards Clean
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 01:20:50 PM »
After Grady eats his Honest Kitchen (a dehydrated raw food - sort of looks like guacamole), I wet a wash cloth with warm water and then squeeze on a squirt of OC Magic Foam onto the washcloth http://www.chrissystems.com/oc_magic_foam.htm.  I work this into his beard and then rinse the washcloth with warm water and use it again to rinse off the foam.  I then dry his beard with a dry towel.  It keeps it nice and white and believe me, the stuff he eats is MESSY.

Offline Annette

• Member since 2010
  • Elizabethton, TN
    • Ask A True Veterinarian!
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 02:04:20 PM »
Where did you get that no spill water bowl?  I really need something like that.  I tried doing a search, but didn't find one like that.  Of course I'm at a hotel where the internet connection is running 1.0 Mbps; I don't have time to sit here for 2 hours trying to pull up a webpage. 

Annette
Kaizer- NM-Miniature-S&P-DOB-1/20/09
Kyra- SF-Miniature-B&S -DOB- 1/20/09

"The more people I meet, the more I like my dog." ~Unknown

"Handle every stressful situation like a dog.  If you can't eat it or play with it....then just pee on it and walk away"

Offline Peter

• Founder 2008
    • Dog Tricks Video
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 03:08:35 PM »
Mukaluka Dirtypaws, male black Miniature Schnauzer, 11/09/07, 15-1/8", 17.5 lb (goal) [medical]

Offline Christy

• Member since 2010
  • Wolcott, NY
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 12:19:37 PM »
That magic foam might be worth looking into!

I've been trying to find something I felt safe washing sassys beard with so as long as its non toxic that might be it!

even at bath time I stay away from her face, because she likes to lick any water/soap/hand that comes near her face and the thought of poisoning my dog trying to clean her just doesn't sit well.

so its safe if ingested a little? even outside of bath time she'll lick anything near her mouth, an I'd rather have a dirty beard than a sick dog.

Offline Les

• Member since 2009
  • McLeansboro, IL
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 09:52:40 AM »
Buddy licks the soap when we give him his bath.  It has never made him sick.
He also likes to like the bar soap we use for showers and baths.  That has never made him sick either.
Of course I try not to let him do it.
Buddy, male S&P Miniature Schnauzer, born May 2007

Offline Dotty

• Member since 2010
  • Meridian, ID
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 11:12:11 AM »
Thanks Peter , I'll do the baking soda thing...cause I just let him , well, just let him be a dog and do dog things.... but that beard can and does get smelly when he's up close and personal...so thanks again....

Offline Ember

• Member since 2009
  • Colorado Springs, CO
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 04:33:09 PM »
Awesome recipe! I will be trying the beard remedy this winter. We are keeping our skirts and beards short this summer it's going to be a HOT one!  :palmtrees: :sun:
I brush off any resistance or doubt and step into this day full of positive expectation! I'm excited to be alive!
See Alpha and Zuza's Scrapbook

Offline Gerri

• Member since 2010
  • Essex, UK
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 11:43:08 PM »

I was thinking about using baking soda /sodium bicarb on Rufus' beard if it got smelly. I use it for de-odorising the fridge too!

Slightly off topic but on the subject of beards:

Do schnauzers get dribbly when they're teething? I've noticed that Rufus' beard is wet sometimes even when he hasn't just had a drink or eaten. It's not slobber like when he's been running around and panting, just wet especially when he's been asleep.

Little dear has 4 teeth at the top front (his little teeth are still in situ and aren't wobbly yet - thinking I might have to take him to the tooth fairy (vets) to have them removed) and some big molars coming through at the side behind his canines
Rufus - Giant born Feb 2010 (100lbs! - hopefully fully grown)
Blaze - Black Mini born Feb 2012
Albi - Black Mini born Sep 2010. Crossed over Rainbow Bridge April 2012 :(

Offline Peter

• Founder 2008
    • Dog Tricks Video
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 07:08:45 AM »
I sometimes see that Muka's beard is wet for no apparent reason, too. And I know that it can be a sign of stress. That's how the owner of a therapy dog I know knows it's time to quit for the day.

Then again... sometimes I've been known to fall asleep and drool on my pillow! :shocked:

Peter

BennyBear

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2010, 03:16:26 AM »
I still haven't had the strange sour beard smell.  I'm still waiting for it. i'm glad we  havent, but it's strange!

Offline MicheleZ

• Member since 2009
  • Mondamin, IA
    • Grady and Izzy's Website
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2010, 08:00:43 AM »
That magic foam might be worth looking into!

I've been trying to find something I felt safe washing sassys beard with so as long as its non toxic that might be it!

even at bath time I stay away from her face, because she likes to lick any water/soap/hand that comes near her face and the thought of poisoning my dog trying to clean her just doesn't sit well.

so its safe if ingested a little? even outside of bath time she'll lick anything near her mouth, an I'd rather have a dirty beard than a sick dog.

I sent the company an email explaining that I wanted to use it to clean my schnauzer's beard so it would be near his mouth and they responded saying it wouldn't hurt him - just make sure to follow up with a clean wet washcloth after working it into his beard.  I clean his beard in the shower with a homemade soap.

Offline Gerri

• Member since 2010
  • Essex, UK
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 11:01:03 AM »

I thought I'd been quite dilligent with keeping Rufus' beard clean and brushed but today I noticed lots of little matts in it. It took some effort but I've managed to comb it all out whilst he was asleep. Any tips on how to avoid matts in future.
Rufus - Giant born Feb 2010 (100lbs! - hopefully fully grown)
Blaze - Black Mini born Feb 2012
Albi - Black Mini born Sep 2010. Crossed over Rainbow Bridge April 2012 :(

Offline Peter

• Founder 2008
    • Dog Tricks Video
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2010, 11:03:28 AM »
I couldn't imagine brushing Muka's beard while he was sleeping!

Haven't had a matt since I started brusing (almost) daily. I use the brush first, then check it with a comb.

If they comb finds a tangle, it may pull through. Or it may just tug and hurt so I go back to the brush.

Peter

Offline Sarah

• Member since 2009
  • Dog Trainer, Beaverton, OR
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2010, 12:30:01 AM »
Daily brushing is the only true way to avoid major mats.  De-Mat conditioner is great, and can help quite a bit.  Also, there is a grooming tool called a Mat Buster that breaks up mats while you pull it through, making the de-matting process less painful.
Bismarck aka "Bisi" - S&P Mini, Age 9
Baxa - Spanish Water Dog, Age 9
Ophelia - Spanish Water Dog, Age 8 Weeks and so help me I hope we both make it through her puppyhood!
Scrapbook:  Introducing Bismarck