Author Topic: Ear Gluing  (Read 49579 times)

Offline Michelle

• Member since 2010
  • Corvallis, OR
Re: Ear Gluing
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2010, 03:36:34 PM »
Somewhere else I posted about how Rupert's ears were every-which-place, and now they are both perfectly and tightly flopped over. I had not expected this! Just a week ago, they were both almost entirely up! Even in the last couple days one would be down and the other up, and next time I see him they would be switched... So very strange.... I'll post pictures for proof!  :devil: He looks like two different dogs.
Rupert, male S&P Miniature Schnauzer, born April 4, 2010
Scrapbook:  Meet Rupert!

Offline Peter

• Founder 2008
  • Pet Partners Instructor, Vancouver, WA
    • Dog Tricks Video
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2010, 04:44:21 PM »
Perfect!

As I understand it, they can change throughout the teething period.

Peter
Mukaluka Dirtypaws, male black Miniature Schnauzer, 11/09/07, 15-1/8", 17.5 lb (goal) [medical]
Pukalu, male S&P Miniature Schnauzer, 03/27/10, 15", 15.5 lb (goal) [medical]
Also: About Peter ~ Our Therapy Dog Work ~ Our Tricks Video ~ Muka's Scrapbook

Offline Traci

• Member since 2010
  • Puyallup, WA
    • Ludwigs Mini Schnauzers
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2011, 02:14:34 PM »
Peter id love to see a closer pic of exactly where on the cheek the tip of the ear is glued if you have one.

Here is how i glue the natural ear to train it to fold over nicely. The ears can go quirky anytime up until the adult teeth are all in so keep an eye on them. Once the adult teeth are all in it is most likely to late to train the ear because the ear cartilage is too hard to train anymore. So if you are super picky on a perfect ear set. You might glue them up until adult teeth are in. The glue i use stays on for 2 weeks or more. When the ears comes unglued i shave them and also shave the spot where they will be re glued, i then clean the ears, pluck ear hair, and bathe the pup. I then leave the ears alone for a few days before re gluing. The directions (link below) show how to glue and tape the ears. I have found i don't really need the tape. I did use it when i had a litter wrestling and chewing on eachother but it seems the tape almost gives them more of a reason to scratch their ears or give other pups something to chew on so now i just glue and no tape. The pup also seems to accept the ear gluing much sooner without the tape :) Usually After 2-3 days they don't even seem to notice their ears are glued. My bloodlines are pretty easy going though.  If you have a really determined pup that keeps getting the ears unglued you may want to then add the tape and see if that works for you.

Here are pics of pups glued with and without the tape and also the ear products i have on hand. Also link to directions and where to buy glue and remover. I dont really use the remover much but nice to have on hand incase i glued wrong

Traci

directions http://www.cymro-welsh.com/ears.html

Products http://www.thechalkguy.com/order.html

Ludwigs Mini Schnauzers  www.LudwigMS.com

Offline Peter

• Founder 2008
    • Dog Tricks Video
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2011, 07:24:35 PM »
Traci,

I'm not sure what you're asking. In the side view above, the glue is just somewhere under the bottom part of the ear.

I just re-glued them a couple nights ago, and I'm getting really good at it! I just glued it down with a dab. Held it to dry a couple minutes, then pulled the ear back a bit and added more glue and held it down again. This was MUCH easier than doing it with a lot of glue the first time, and no chance of a real mess it your dog moves.

I'd been told that gluing was effective as long as they are still growing, so I know at 11 months I'm about at the limit. The only reason I'm still doing it is because one ear is not only a little higher, which it always may be (mine aren't even, either!), but because that ear tends to flip back, inside out.

After the last grooming I went over two weeks before I decided I needed to do it perhaps just this one more time.

Pukalu has never minded me doing it nor having them glued down in the slightest that I could see. But that tape... oh my! I'm not sure why it would be necessary.

Oh, and you can't do it with just one dab and leave it that way because then it's too easy for a paw to hook behind the ear and pull it undone. It has to lie pretty flat.

Lastly, I never have to remove the glue. As the hair grows out it becomes on the end of the hair, so you just un-glue the ear by trimming the hair on the ears. I'm sure that's what you do, too.

Peter
Mukaluka Dirtypaws, male black Miniature Schnauzer, 11/09/07, 15-1/8", 17.5 lb (goal) [medical]

Offline Traci

• Member since 2010
  • Puyallup, WA
    • Ludwigs Mini Schnauzers
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2011, 10:45:33 PM »
I was just wondering if i tried your method where exactly should i glue the ear on the cheek such as do i place the tip near the corner of the eye?? The method ive used i center the tip of the ear with the center of the eyeball and glue as close to the eyebrow as i can get without gluing it to any long eyebrow hairs.
Traci  :daisey:

here is an interesting video i found.
Setting Terrier Ears
Ludwigs Mini Schnauzers  www.LudwigMS.com

Offline Peter

• Founder 2008
    • Dog Tricks Video
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2011, 11:17:39 PM »
I did something very different than you and the video describe. The tips of the ear are nowhere near the eye.

I put the dab of glue on the cheek bone which feels very prominent. The after that takes hold put more glue around it. Maybe I cover a square half inch... nothing like in the video. And I don't go around the ear like that. I just glue the end down.

However, Pukalu came with glued ears. Perhaps that was done before and needs to be done with a new puppy.

Muka's ears were never glued, but see how they come down on the sides. They don't go toward the eyes.

Peter

Cherie

« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2011, 05:33:42 AM »
Now I just figured out why some poeple go around like they don't hear what I say to them.Their ears have been glued down. lol.

Offline Tulip

• Member since 2011
  • Norfolk, UK
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2011, 01:23:55 AM »
Sorry if I'm a bit late for this, but I just wanted to add that I nearly had to tape Maisy's ears with medical tape as they nearly flew. Luckily they didn't! Freddy's are flown slightly which is a shame but hey ho.

I would be inclined to disagree with the video - Schnauzer ears are very different to typical terrier ears, they're larger and differently shaped, as well as set slightly lower. Here Minis aren't even classed as Terriers, but as Utility breeds.

Offline Peter

• Founder 2008
    • Dog Tricks Video
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2011, 10:01:07 AM »
Yes, I don't think they are true terriers. Just put in that class.

Hmm. In this household, I think I'm the utility breed to my Schnauzers!

Peter

Offline Kelly B

• Member since 2011
  • Surrey, British Columbia, Canada
« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2011, 07:03:14 PM »
Well Jed's ears have officially gone HAYWIRE!!! They are sticking up every which way. Too bad - he had such nice little floppy ears.  :sad:  So I think I'm going to glue them, but I'm scared. I've just emailed his breeder to see if she's ever glued ears before. If so, I'll gladly drive to her house and pay her to show me how to do it. But I have a feeling she's never done it because she's very "au natural" with her dogs and some of her dams and studs have ears that stick out every which way too.

**My husband likes Jedi's crazy ears - he says it gives him character. But truley, I don't think I've ever seen such comical ears on a schnauzers - they don't quite stick up (which can be very cute like Maiya's) - they kinda stick out sideways and it's different everyday! One up, one sideways, one pinned backwards, one half forward... it is really quite interesting, but I think I want to glue them down so they're both the same.
Jedi: S&P Parti mini born: 1/23/11  1.5yrs, 16.5lbs
Mercy (Mercedes): B&S mini born: 05/26/12 8.4 lbs
Scrapbooks:  Jedi\'s Picture Album and Comparison Pics
My Facebook Food Blog

Offline Valerie

• Member since 2011
  • Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2011, 03:47:42 AM »
1st time i hear that. Do they really, really use glue? If so, what happens if they have to scratch their ears?
Sushi, Miniature Schnauzer, born August 26, 2011
In memory:  Pullup, silver Miniature Schnauzer, 12 years and dearly missed

Offline Carolee

• Member since 2011
  • El Paso, TX
« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2011, 08:36:51 AM »
Maybe I need to get out more. I have never heard of gluing dogs' ears. I love my girls' ears just the way they are. That being said, please don't think I'm being critical of those of you who do want to glue. 'K?  :schnauzer:
Carolee
Sasha S/P Female 05/05/2004
Molly S/P Female - Birthdate Unknown

Offline Kelly B

• Member since 2011
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2011, 09:48:05 AM »
I got an email back this morning from Catherine (the breeder) and she said she has done it on occassion although sometimes it never works no matter what you do. But she said it's definitely worth a try. She gave me some advice on what to use and how and where to apply the glue - she said fabric glue is also a good alternative.

Carolee - I know it sounds strange to do, but don't worry, it doesn't hurt them - the glue adheres hair to hair, not skin to skin. It is purely for asthetics so I wouldn't do it if it would hurt him.

Valerie: that's a good question Valerie - I've wondered the same thing. I think there's a good possibility that it'll come unglued, so I'd have to reapply the glue if he un-does it.
My Facebook Food Blog

Offline Peter

• Founder 2008
    • Dog Tricks Video
« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2011, 01:19:23 PM »
As soon as I finish reading the forum, I'll be re-gluing Pukalu's ears, which were undone at his grooming last week. And I'm very discouraged about it.

I guess the lesson learned is that if you want nice floppy ears like Muka has, don't buy from a breeder that always crops the ears of the dogs they keep. Unless you can see evidence that dogs from the same line that don't have cropped ears have nice floppy ones. I think if ears are going to be cropped, it's an advantage for them to be more naturally upright.

Anyway, as I've stated above (and all the ideas on glues are discussed above, too), the reason this has been an issue from the first days Pukalu had unglued ears (he came with them glued) is that one of his ears is more upright than the other and turns back and inside out.

Sure, not having them even isn't such a big deal. Mine aren't. And no one would notice anyway unless they were looking for it. And I'm convinced that Pukalu's one ear will always be higher. It's just that way... a longer shank before it bends. But the problem of the ear turning inside out concerns me more.

Actually, I think it happens to all dogs now and then, but they shake it out. Pukalu walks around that way.

His ears have been glued down for most of a year now. Maybe I'll just keep him that way? Only half kidding. But it's easy to do, and after the hair grows out between groomings it's easy for the groomer to cut them loose so she can clean out the hair on the inside of the ears.

Either it just never would have worked with Pukalu, or it's my fault. After each six-week grooming I've let him go a week or so before re-gluing them to see how he was doing. When I procrastinated a full three weeks last time, it hit me that perhaps the problem is that I need to keep them glued down more consistently. Don't really know.

Anyway, it's approaching a week and it's slowly gotten worse each day till he was walking around with his ear inside-out today. Back to the glue!

Peter

Offline Kelly B

• Member since 2011
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2011, 03:33:21 PM »
Peter: any chance you could video how and where you glue it when you do Pukalu's next time? I'm worried I'll mess up Jedi's even worse by gluing them in the wrong spot.
My Facebook Food Blog