Author Topic: Broken Blood Vessel in Thumb  (Read 279 times)

Offline Peter Christensen

• Administrator
  • Founder, Vancouver, WA
    • Therapy Dog Information
Broken Blood Vessel in Thumb
« on: May 18, 2017, 10:46:05 AM »
I'm posting these photos here so search engines can pick them up because I couldn't find a good picture on the web. My hand will live on for your great grandchildren to Google!

It's just a minor break of a blood vessel, but I could actually watch my hand enlarge till it stopped. I elevated my hand and used an ice pack.

The swelling went down overnight, so I know I don't need to see a doctor.

I suspect the thumb in the photo is about twice the size of my other thumb.
Mukaluka Dirtypaws, male black Miniature Schnauzer, 11/09/07, 15-1/8", 17.0 lb (goal) [medical]
Pukalu, male S&P Miniature Schnauzer, 03/27/10, 15", 15.5 lb (goal) [medical]
Also: About Peter ~ Our Therapy Dog Work ~ Our Tricks Video ~ Muka's Scrapbook

Offline Rock

• Member since 2016
  • Houjie, Dongguan, China
Re: Broken Blood Vessel in Thumb
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 05:01:33 PM »
Just curious.

What event precipitated this injury?

I've had similar.  It'll throb like a rock & roll drummer on speed.

Heal quickly.  Best hastened by movement, as much as you can stand.
Shadow, male Salt & Pepper (mostly Pepper) Miniature Schnauzer, born May 3, 2016

Offline Karen Brittan

• Member since 2014
  • Miniature Schnauzer Breeder, Minnesota
    • Britmor Schnauzers
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 05:39:23 PM »
Arnica montana would be the perfect thing to take for your hand. It works like crazy on swelling and bruising.

There is also an arnica cream you can rub on it.
Britmor Miniature Schnauzers
http://britmorschnauzers.com
Minnesota, USA

Pedigree indicates what the animal should be.
 Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be.
  But performance indicates what the animal actually is.
                           -Author Unknown-

Offline Peter Christensen

• Administrator
  • Founder, Vancouver, WA
    • Therapy Dog Information
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 06:12:38 PM »
Thanks! I'll see how it looks in a day or so.
Mukaluka Dirtypaws, male black Miniature Schnauzer, 11/09/07, 15-1/8", 17.0 lb (goal) [medical]
Pukalu, male S&P Miniature Schnauzer, 03/27/10, 15", 15.5 lb (goal) [medical]
Also: About Peter ~ Our Therapy Dog Work ~ Our Tricks Video ~ Muka's Scrapbook

Offline Robin G

• Member since 2012
  • Arkansas ~~The Ox is slow but the Earth is patient
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 05:21:48 PM »
I just saw this or I'd have said the same thing Karen did. You can also take a cotton swab & pour Witch Hazel on it. It will aid in the healing. But I carry that very thing in Karen's picture in my purse. I also have Arnica for head injuries. Probably saved me when I was in a car accident about a month ago. It's part of my first aid kit. Considering how goofed up my head was after the accident (my 70+ year old mother had zero injuries thank heavens) I don't know what I'd have been like without the Arnica. It's amazing stuff.
Poochie, Female black Giant Schnauzer, 6 years old

Offline Karen Brittan

• Member since 2014
  • Miniature Schnauzer Breeder, Minnesota
    • Britmor Schnauzers
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 09:13:16 PM »
In my case, I was out for a group dog walk around one of our local lakes, and right after we started, I stepped in a pothole and went down, landing badly on my right ankle. Obviously, no dog walk for me that day.

My ankle quickly swelled up and turned every shade of purple one could imagine. Yes, there was pain, but nothing unbearable. One of my old holistic veterinarians has an internet page and was talking about giving arnica montana to a dog that had injured its leg/foot, and my first thought was, "To heck with the dog....."

I immediately went out and bought the arnica pellets and some cream and started treating myself. The swelling went down and the purple bruising was gone in 2-3 days or so, but the pain, although lessened, was still with me. I decided to go to our local (sort of) emergency room to see a doctor, and he took an X-ray that showed that the ankle bone on the outside of my now normal-looking right foot was broken. He asked if I wanted something for the pain, but, no, I didn't need it. I got a leg brace for my leg and foot, and lived in that for a couple weeks or so. This was awhile back now, so I don't remember all the gory details.... like time involved.

Yes, I also carry a tube of arnica montana in my purse, and keep another one in a drawer in our bathroom.

A few months ago, late one Saturday night, one of the boys here was walking around all hunched up like his back was hurting. I gave him one pellet and he was improved by the time I went to bed. I don't even remember who it was now.   
Britmor Miniature Schnauzers
http://britmorschnauzers.com
Minnesota, USA

Pedigree indicates what the animal should be.
 Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be.
  But performance indicates what the animal actually is.
                           -Author Unknown-