Author Topic: WooHOoooo!!! Small Success - Toe nails  (Read 272 times)

Offline Rock

• Member since 2016
  • Houjie, Dongguan, China
WooHOoooo!!! Small Success - Toe nails
« on: July 03, 2017, 12:57:44 AM »
Well, after much patience and many attempts.  I was finally able to trim 1 foot, right rear, with the nail clippers (guillotine type).  After that, Shadow had enough.

Shadow has only had nails trimmed 2X by professionals.  The first time resulted in all toes bleeding.   :angry:  I was extremely angry.   :headbanger: Shadow was about 4 months old.  2nd time was at another place claimed to be more skilled, he was 6 months old.  Well, no bleeding toes, but Shadow is extremely anxious when clippers come out.  I think he was forcefully held down by multiple people.  It has been very difficult for me to get him to lie down and relax.  He is good until I pick up the clippers.........then he wants to bolt.

I got him to lie down, picked up clippers, got to him lie down and relax (belly rub), played with his foot, touched the clippers to the nail, lie down and relax (belly rub) again....... many cycles like this for each toe.  It took me nearly 20 minutes to trim the 4 toes on the right rear foot.  Just got little slivers, but Shadow had no pain and no bleeding.    :smiley: :smiley:  He did receive a nice treat of chicken.  Hopefully, I can attempt another foot soon.

I travel Stateside in August.  At that time, I will get a rotary tool with the diamond grinding wheel.  I expect it will be smoother cutting action than the sanding sleeves.  Plus I have not seen replacement sanding sleeves where I live.

Dogs live in the moment, but they don't forget painful events.  That is my humble opinion.
Shadow, male Salt & Pepper (mostly Pepper) Miniature Schnauzer, born May 3, 2016

Offline Liz W

• Administrator
  • Woodhall Spa, Lincolnshire, UK
Re: WooHOoooo!!! Small Success - Toe nails
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 09:19:58 AM »
Well done you! 

I think you are spot on, they never forget painful events and you should be really chuffed that you were able to clip even one claw!  Keep at it - it's not Busters most favourite thing, but he will lie on his back over my knee for me to grind his toes - all for a treat mind you!  I'm a little and often trimmer, as it encourages the quick to recede and avoid the pain!! 

You are doing the exact right things to make Shadows life better. 
Buster, male P&S Miniature Schnauzer, born January 17, 2014
Buster's Scrapbook

Offline Peter Christensen

• Administrator
  • Founder, Vancouver, WA
    • Therapy Dog Information
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 09:33:16 AM »
You are describing nail quicking:

http://www.myschnauzer.net/forums/index.php?topic=1743.0

As I have posted under nail trimming topics, I currently use the Dremel made for pets, and it's just amazing. My dogs appear to have fallen asleep in my arms they are so relaxed, or bored. The trick is to apply the grinder so softly that it doesn't cause pressure or start vibrating. It's very smooth.

To get them started, I just turn it on and push the body of the device against a few nails. Then when I do the real thing, it doesn't feel much different.

And of course you have to keep checking and be sure you don't go too far, as you can "quick" nails with a grinder as easily as with cutters. But the advantage is that the grinders don't pinch the nail.

My dogs are happy. You can see their tails wagging just above my avatar.
Mukaluka Dirtypaws, male black Miniature Schnauzer, 11/09/07, 15-1/8", 17.0 lb (goal) [medical]
Pukalu, male S&P Miniature Schnauzer, 03/27/10, 15", 15.5 lb (goal) [medical]
Also: About Peter ~ Our Therapy Dog Work ~ Our Tricks Video ~ Muka's Scrapbook

Offline Rock

• Member since 2016
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 05:30:53 PM »
Thanks Liz.  Yeah, I was pretty happy about the success.

Peter, Yes, nail quicking is the term.  Oh, that 1st "groomer" did get an earful of angry English complete with many $&^%(*&^*** words.  I'm sure he didn't understand a word because of him being Chinese.  I do know he understood why I was angry when I showed him 14 bleeding toes.  I was loud and angry enough that the other customers cleared the shop.

Unfortunately, I probably took a step backwards last night while trimming the hair on his paws and pads.  I didn't cut him, but I did pinch the main pad with the cutting edge of the scissors.  No blood, no yelping.......but it took 45 minutes for him to allow me to touch the paw again.  Ending the paw hair cut last night.  I'll try to finish tonight.  I'm just aggravated with myself for being complacent and got a little careless.

Tonight is another night to finish the paw hair trim.
Shadow, male Salt & Pepper (mostly Pepper) Miniature Schnauzer, born May 3, 2016

Offline Carla

• Member since 2017
  • Alberta, Canada
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 09:56:34 PM »
I think you are doing it right! I'd have been so ticked off with that first groomer  :angry:
Barney, male B&S Miniature Schnauzer, born September 15, 2013
Baxter, male black Miniature Schnauzer, born September 13, 2016

Offline Rock

• Member since 2016
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 05:53:12 PM »
Well, my small success was short lived.  I haven't been able to come close to the other 3 paws with the clippers.  Yes, I can handle, manipulate, squeeze, extend the nail, spread the toes......anything with handling.  But when the clipper comes out......Shadow is gone.

I decided to take him to my Vet for the nail trim.  I told them about his history and sensitivity.  They listened, questioned, clarified to be sure we understood each other.

Two people came to Shadow, did a calm introduction with a little petting and play before they took him to the grooming room.  I could see into the room because this Vet has very large glass walls so you can see from the waiting area.  One of the Vets held Shadow in position, not with force but with a firm kind grip.  Constantly, petting and talking to Shadow.  The other person was trimming the nails....many, many, many small snips and multiple returns to a paw.  In other words they took time and took care of Shadow.  The entire trimming session lasted nearly 45 minutes.  Shadow escaped their table a couple of times, but they were patient and kind when bringing him back to the task.  I was expecting a cost of 50 rmb or more.  I was surprised when the cost was 10 rmb ($1.50 USD).

I did a quick check on his nails while I was there.  No bleeding and No styptic powder.  No touch sensitive reaction on the nails.  After I got home I was able to do a thorough check, all cut like you see in text books.  All his nails are black.

The Vet did a short exam on Shadow.  She said he is a little thin but healthy and strong.  She asked how much I feed.  1 1/3 cups each day.  Then she asked about exercise.  3 walks each day total about 2 hours each day.  She said I can feed more.  So, Shadow's diet will be increase to 1 1/2 cups each day.

All in all.  I am very happy with the way this Vet treats the animals.  Big doses of kindness and caring with great professionalism and skill. 

I travel to USA in a couple of weeks.  I will be purchasing a diamond wheel grinder to try on Shadow's nails.  If my success is still non-existent, then I will be making frequent trips to the Vet for nails.  Fortunately, the office is within walking distance.

Offline Liz W

• Administrator
  • Woodhall Spa, Lincolnshire, UK
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 03:47:12 AM »
Wow, I'd take Buster to the vets if I could be assured of that kind of service! 
Buster, male P&S Miniature Schnauzer, born January 17, 2014
Buster's Scrapbook

Offline Rock

• Member since 2016
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 05:37:47 PM »
Liz.  This is the same Vet that did Shadow's neutering operation.

Same level of care.  They sent pictures pre-op, during op and post op, then when he woke up.  Told me to pick him up 2 hours after the wake up picture.  I was planning to walk/carry Shadow home, roughly 15 minutes walking.  The Vet insisted that I did not walk/carry.  They called a private driver for me.  Follow up care was 1 day, 3 days, 1 week, final 2 weeks.  One thing that did surprise me was they didn't use stitches to close the wound.  They used a medical grade super glue.  Really nice, no stitches, no excessive scratching, no visit to remove.....Shadow was back to his normal behavior 3 days after surgery.  He only wore the "collar" full time the 1st day.  After that.....he didn't really do any licking. 

Shadow knows these people and his tail is a blur when we go the Vet.

They have always been kind, gentle, patient and firm with the animals. 

Yes, I am very pleased with this Vet.  We do manage to communicate with broken English, poor Mandarin and cell phone translators.  It takes a while, but nothing happens until everyone understands.  I did get a Thank You from the Dr. for sending them patients.  They are considering adding a staff member with better English skills.  Apparently, many of us ex-pats have pets and are looking for a good vet.  I was their 1st foreigner.

Offline Rock

• Member since 2016
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2017, 07:15:52 PM »
Update.

I was recently in the USA for family events.  During that time I purchased a rechargeable URPower toenail grinder from Amazon.  Cost was around $20 USD.  I chose this unit because it uses a "diamond" cutting wheel.  I wanted a permanent stone wheel instead of replaceable sleeves.

I have used it on Shadow a couple of times.  He is still a bit twitchy about his toenails.  Can't say I blame him knowing the history.  I've used this on him 2X with a very light short touch, more like a tap, to the nails.  He was a bit less twitchy during the 2nd time.  I plan on doing this every few days.  He should settle and become relaxed with this task.  So far, I've got a positive feeling about this device.

It does leave the nails very smooth.  I have doubts if it will do a "bulk" removal.  This appears to be more of a frequent maintenance type device.  Any bulk removal will need clippers.  In my case, I'll just make a visit to the Vet for bulk trimming.

Offline Alison Q

• Member since 2013
  • Channel Islands, UK
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2017, 01:12:38 AM »
You shouldn't need to do bulk removal.
I use the coarsest sleeve which removes nail quick then finish with finer to get rid of any edges. Maybe the diamond is more on the fine side and doesn't remove a lot. I do have a diamond and metal type attachment and I prefer the emery board/sand paper (not sure of US terminology) sleeves.
Barney, male white Miniature Schnauzer, born February 6, 2013

Offline Denise C

• Member since 2015
  • Carmel, Indiana
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2017, 07:07:44 AM »
You shouldn't need to do bulk removal.
I use the coarsest sleeve which removes nail quick then finish with finer to get rid of any edges. Maybe the diamond is more on the fine side and doesn't remove a lot. I do have a diamond and metal type attachment and I prefer the emery board/sand paper (not sure of US terminology) sleeves.
Alison, I love your pretty, white furbaby pictures. Adorable.
Cupcake, female liver/tan miniature schnauzer, born July 8, 2010
Coco, female black miniature schnauzer, born May 22, 2011