Author Topic: Umbilical Cord Training? Does It Work?  (Read 441 times)

Offline Robin G

• Member since 2012
  • Arkansas ~~The Ox is slow but the Earth is patient
Re: Umbilical Cord Training? Does It Work?
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2017, 12:20:06 PM »
My girl came from Sylvia Hammarstrom of Skansen Kennels. I heard a lot of nasty things about her & the kennel but I'd been following her & her dogs from the late 80's & early 90's. I opted to go with my gut & have not been disappointed. I could not have asked for a more perfectly suited dog plus this woman has always been there for me with any question or problem that has cropped up. She's all the way out in California & it was a rare thing for me to just tell her what I wanted & let her choose. I don't do that often. There's been 3 breeders in my life that I've trusted that much. One was where my Doberman male came from, another was the breeder of my Belgian Malinois & then Poochie. No regrets. In fact, I've come very close to getting another dog from her. There's a huge debate between another Giant or a Malinois in my household. I've even considered a Standard but I love the Giant. I love the Malinois & I've never had a Standard. It's a real pickle but we're in no hurry. I just don't want to wait until Poochie is an old girl to bring on another working dog. It's not kind. I did that with my old Collie & she hated it so I'm biding my time to see which breed wins & I'm hoping if it's in the  :Schnauzer: family, I can go back to Skansen.
Poochie, Female black Giant Schnauzer, 6 years old

Offline CC

• Member since 2017
  • NY
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2017, 01:23:19 PM »
She's one of the breeders I'm considering, I've heard some stuff that isn't so nice but not sure if I believe it. I grew up with Westminster on Tv and I remember Skansen kennels. Then I got into raw feeding several years ago. And she seemed really nice when I talked to her on the phone. I just hesitate having someone else pick my pup for me but don't really have a choice, and I can't use pictures so I must rely on what people tell me. And of course all breeders say their dogs are good. Between her and 2 other breeders, but I think she's been breeding longest of the three.
Hoping for a Miniature Schnauzer soon.

Offline Robin G

• Member since 2012
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2017, 08:06:28 PM »
I just adore her. She is all about her dogs. She has always been generous & kind with me. I think she sees that I will go the extra mile to take care of her pup (now a dog) & appreciates that. Here's one of the reasons I adore her. I had a real scare with Poochie. My dog got front leg tremors. My brain went to the worst case scenario. I wrote to Skansen. She came back to me not with excuses, not putting me off or trying to side step the issue. She wrote back & first she thanked me for contacting her about the issue & than she was pretty certain she knew what was up. She'd seen this in a human & in a dog over in France. She gave me a plan of attack & told me to let her know how it turned out. I got on it right away. I was relieved that it might just be a pinched or damaged nerve causing this. I have experienced this myself in my own spinal damage so I went over the treatment I had done & remembered this lovely (not so lovely feeling) myofascial massage. So I started gently working on the dog & knew the day I found the problem spot. It's at the area at the base of the neck to the shoulder blades. I put my fingers there on just either side of the spine & press (like gorilla grip kind of pressure... if I did this to a human, s/he would want to slap me). The first time I did it, I heard her instantly blow out a big breath & she sat up on her rump & pressed back on my hands for more pressure. I kept applying until she leaned forward slightly indicating I'd hit her tolerance level. When I released, the tremors completely stopped.  I wrote the breeder back, she was as happy as I was. I assured her I was going to keep her on the supplements to help her body deal with this. I see no sign of pain but why risk it. Once this required 2-3 times per day, now I'm doing this once or twice per month (unless she goes out & tries to fly, zooming like a maniac) then I may have to give her a tune up.

IF you do choose Skansen, lay it all on the line of what you need from this pup & really listen to what Ms. Hammerstrom comes back to you with. She would have told me if the Giant was a mistake for us. She cares about her dogs & wants you happy & her pup happy & successful. I know she's had Standards as assistance dogs. I'm pretty certain some Giant's too. I don't know about the minis likely because I haven't paid attention  :embarrassed: She's been breeding for a long time. I'm not saying she's who you should use but I can tell you I've been pleased with her & the pup I've gotten.

Offline CC

• Member since 2017
  • NY
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2017, 07:12:52 AM »
So glad to talk to someone who has gotten a pup from her. I have 2 audio cds and a video  from  her. She didn't have a lot of time on the phone but seemed to think I'd be very happy with a mini provided I stayed with her diet recommendations so the dog wouldn't develop any weird kinds of weird issues. Just love her accent. The one cd details the schnauzer as a a breed, the other deals with adopting a schnauzer and general dog stuff. The video deals with anything from baiting from conformation, to kennel training to schutzhund (sp?) very interesting. She laso thinks a ppup would be better than a grownup being as my cat is 14 years old as her grownups don't see cats. Too bad you or er couldn't help with my fibromyalgia that really affects the muscles, on top of the other medical issues. We seem to have similar views, what little bit I could talk to her that day. Your girl sounds perfect, send her a pat for me.

Offline Robin G

• Member since 2012
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2017, 06:36:52 PM »
Ms Hammarstrom is always busy. I hope when I reach her age, I'm as active as she is. Yeah, it's not impossible to get an adolescent or adult that you can train to cats or chickens or other small animals but it's not the same as when you start with the youngsters. You run a bigger risk of an adult dog who decides cats are more fun to chase.

Fibromyalgia. I have it. Nasty stuff. I was just reading today where someone has clinically displayed more then 48 symptoms that is due to Fibro.  :headbanger: It's maddening. I was diagnosed with it many years ago when very few doctors believed it existed. I do pretty well all things considered. For one thing, I make certain to eat a lot of protein, I take turmeric/black pepper capsules (which is a major inflammation fighter), as well as cayenne capsules which is pretty good for any part of the body. I also make my own pain salve which will stain your clothes if you wear light colors when using it but does bring the pain level down. I do a lot of light exercise which keeps me from getting stiff & inflexible.

When I got my pup from her I got a HUGE envelope full of information from her, dvd on grooming & such. She's a neat gal & I know of no other breeder who provides so much with all her puppies.

Offline CC

• Member since 2017
  • NY
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2017, 07:22:13 PM »
aouch that's a lot of symptoms. I love it when for ten years the doctors say it's all in my head. I was just diagnosed with it this year so still learning. Yes, I read more about her tonight, pretty amazing person, and the number of Giant champions she's bred is amazing. She does seem dedicated that's for sure. What little I did talk with her, she seemed to think a Mini could do this just fine. Originally she was thinking standard, but I gave her a description of me, in a wheelchair part time, and the really small living space, and she thought a mini pup would be fine. That's one place I wish I could go in person, all those dogs and all that space would be fun to visit. Just not happening though. At first I was put off by the busy-ness and the fact she has a secretary and various staff handling things for her. Now I realize it's because she does so much and it's not being impersonal like I first thought. The more I find out the more impressed I am. And it's not the number of champions that impresses me, it's how much she Knows and the fact that a lot of the stuff she seems to write makes sense, and is stuff I've been arguing with my vet about for years. My vet is very "traditional" I'm not so much. also, she seems more interested in knowing her dogs and customers and such and not interested in a thousand pages of paperwork, which I've never felt was a good approach to buying anything live...it's a family member, not a car. Not being nosy, how do you find her prices? Some of the local prices have been a shock, either really high or very low. Shippi will add on about $400.00 more automatically to any dog, so just trying to figure out a budget plan and want to make sure I'm not paying too much, and want to make sure I .do get what I pay for. She also seems willing to help if you are interested in breeding or showing, which a lot of people don't seem to want to do. Very open if it benefits the dogs. As to your diet, I seem to want a lot of meat, and I find too much bread makes me feel worse. Fibro is certainly one of the most annoying things I've ever dealt with...so much you want to do but just can't and it drives you nuts. I'm actually looking for work from home if I can find any, as I pretty much know my days of doing a lot of things outside the house are done. Considering I used to go for 3 mile walks, ski, horseback ride, etc. it's been an adjustment and at times quite depressing. It's a learning curve.